royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 554

帖子 royl » 周日 5月 10, 2015 9:53 pm

二十笔实用成语 554

01. Hiya.
定义: [打招呼语]哈啰, 嗨你好等非正式的打招呼.
例句: Hiya, Bill. What's new with you? (嗨, 比尔. 你近况如何?)

02. Hobson's choice, a
定义: 无奈的选择, 没有其他选择的选择.
例句: If I don't agree to accept half the money, it will all go to charity. It's a Hobson's choice. (如果我不同意接受一半款项的话, 它全部的钱就会被送给慈善机构. 这是个无奈的选择)

03. hog the phone/couch/bathroom, to
定义: 占住电话讲个不停; 占着长沙发椅不让别人坐; 霸占卫生间不出来. (注: 以上只是一些例子, 你也可以举一反三)
例句: Another 14 percent of survey respondents said men make the worst housemates because they are more likely to hog the TV remote control. (另外百分之十四的民调受访者认为男人是最糟糕的同居者因为男人更有可能霸占电视遥控器)

04. hoisted by/on/with one's own petard, be
定义: 自作自受, 作法自毙, 搬石头砸自己脚.
例句: He has no one to blame but himself; he was hoisted by his own petard. (他谁也不能怪, 要怪只能怪他自己; 他这是搬石头砸自己脚)

05. hold ... dear to heart, to
定义: 珍惜/珍爱着...
例句: She instilled strong educational values​​ early on in my life, which I still hold dear to heart to this very day! (在我小时候, 她灌输给我深厚的教育价值观, 直到今日我仍然珍惜教育的重要性)

06. hold a candle to, to
定义: 可以比拟或匹配. (注: 经常用在否定语气上例如: 比不上, 不配, 差多了)
例句: As far as good service goes that restaurant can't hold a candle to the one that I usually go to. (就以良好的服务来说, 那家餐馆跟我​​常去的餐馆无法相比)

07. hold a grudge, to
定义: 怀怨在心.
例句: He has been holding a grudge against the manager for a number of years. (数年来他一直对这名经理怀怨在心)

08. hold a gun to someone's head, to
定义: 强迫, 施压于, 威胁某人.
例句: No one held a gun to her head and made her live with the guy. She made that bad decision all on her own. (没有人强迫她跟这个家伙同居. 这个错误决定是完全出于她自己)

09. hold a job down/hold down a job, to
定义: 不辞辛苦决心保住工作.
例句: My cousin can't seem to hold down a job for more than a month. (我表弟似乎没法保住一个工作超过一个月)

10. hold someone up to (public) ridicule, to
定义: 奚落, 耻笑或嘲笑某人.
例句: The newspaper turned on him with a series of savage articles and cartoons which held him up to public ridicule. (这家报社以一系列的残忍​​文章和漫画来攻击他公然地耻笑他)

11. have/hold/call/convene a meeting, to
定义: 开会.
例句: Let's hold a meeting to settle our differences. (让我们开个会来消弭我们之间的歧见)

12. hold a military exercise, to
定义: 举行军事演习.
例句: Taiwan held a military exercise Thursday in waters near the northern Philippines in response to the killing of a Taiwanese fisherman, after rejecting repeated apologies from Manila. (在马尼拉多次拒绝道歉认错之后, 星期四台湾在菲律宾北部海域举行军事演习以回应菲律宾杀害一名台湾渔民)

13. hold against someone, to
定义: 对某人愤怒, 不满或不痛快.
例句: Nobody is going to hold it against you if you don't come. (没有人会对你不满如果你不来的话)

14. hold all the aces, to
定义: 占着所有优势, 手握王牌, 胜券在握.
例句: After the Second World War the United States held all the aces in developing a space program and advanced nuclear technology. (二战之后, 美国占着发展太空计划以及先进核技术的所有优势)

15. hold all the trump cards, to
定义: 占着所有优势, 手握王牌, 胜券在握.
例句: It will be rather difficult to do well in the negotiations with him as he holds all the trump cards. (由于他占着所有优势, 跟他谈判想要成功相当困难)

16. have/hold an ill opinion of someone, to
定义: 对某人有恶意或讨厌某人.
例句: I've been pleasant and kind, and never done anything for her to hold an ill opinion of me. (我一直保持愉快和友善的态度, 从未做出任何致使她厌恶我的事情)

17. hold back, to
定义: 隐瞒, 不告诉别人; 阻碍进步或成就; 保留实力, 不尽全力; 自我克制, 不完全表现出来.
例句: He always holds back during meetings and never says anything. (在会议中, 他总是有所保留, 从来不发一言)

18. hold court, to
定义: 上朝; 审案, 开庭; 成为朋友或爱慕者的注意焦点.
例句: Patrick is holding court in the office kitchen. (派翠克在办公室厨房里成为大家注意的焦点. 注: 意指在午休或喝咖啡休息时间聚集在办公室厨房的同事围观着派翠克说话)
图片
办公室内附设的厨房

19. hold down, to
定义: 压制, 压抑; 控制在范围内; 尽忠职守.
例句: The government was able to hold down the people for many years but finally they revolted and got rid of the regime. (这个政府能够将人民压制多年但他们终于造反成功并推翻了这个政权)

20. hold everything!
定义: [命令语]停下来, 停住, 等一等.
例句: Hold everything! I forgot my wallet. (停下来! 我忘了带我的皮夹)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 60 访客