royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 556

帖子 royl » 周二 5月 19, 2015 5:21 am

二十笔实用成语 556

01. hold/keep/put one's nose to the grindstone, to
定义: 埋头苦干; 忙碌于枯燥无味的工作.
例句: Last night I kept my nose to the grindstone while my friends were out enjoying themselves. (昨晚我埋头苦干而我的朋友们却在外面玩得不亦乐乎)

02. hold one's own, to
定义: 有能力胜任; 坚守立场, 撑持下去, 不退败.
例句: Although her boss is aggressive she is always able to hold her own in any dispute with him. (尽管她上司咄咄逼人她总是能够在任何与他的争论中表现毫不逊色)

03. hold one's peace, to
定义: 保持缄默, 闭口不语.
例句: Please try and hold your peace during the meeting as it will be to our disadvantage if we have a confrontation with them. (请你在会议中尽量地保持缄默因为如果跟他们发生了冲突, 后果将会对我们不利)

04. hold one's sides with laughter, to
定义: 捧腹大笑, 开怀大笑.
例句: He told me some garrison anecdotes which made me hold my sides with laughter. (他告诉我一些在驻防地发生的趣闻让我捧腹大笑)

05. hold/keep one's temper, to
定义: 忍住脾气, 抑制不发火, 压制自己的怒火.
例句: He was upset but held his temper. (他虽然不痛快但他忍住没发脾气)

06. hold one's tongue, to
定义: 保持缄默, 闭口不语.
例句: I decided to hold my tongue rather than give my honest opinion. (我决定宁可保持缄默而不说出我真正的意见)

07. hold one's/your nose, to
定义: 捏着鼻子, 勉强接受但不喜欢, 隐忍不发.
例句: Once, I juiced orange, celery, carrots and apples then I threw in a clove of garlic. It looked great, but I had to hold my nose to chug it down. (有一次, 我把橙子, 芹菜, 胡萝卜和苹果打成果菜汁然后又加进一瓣大蒜. 它看起来很诱人但我不得不捏着鼻子把它一口气喝完)

08. hold oneself in readiness, to
定义: 随时待命.
例句: The exercise began, and I held myself in readiness for the word of command, "Go." At that word, I made a sprint for the finish line like a shooting arrow. (这个训练开始了, 我随时待命接受"起跑"的指令. 当指令一发, 我就像脱弓之箭往终点线全速奔跑)

09. hold out for, to
定义: 坚持要得到某人或物, 宁愿等到自己满意的某人或物, 拒绝接受取代品.
例句: The famous basketball star is holding out for a large salary increase. (这个著名的篮球明星坚持要大幅加薪)

10. hold out on, to
定义: 隐瞒或保留不告诉某人全部消息.
例句: He is holding out on me and won't give me the latest sales figures. (他对我有所保留, 不肯告诉最新的销售数字)

11. extended/offered an olive branch; hold out an olive branch; offer an olive branch
定义: 释出善意, 提出和解, 化解纷争/敌意/怨怼.
例句: I held out an olive branch to Tom, but he rejected my offer. (我愿意跟汤姆化解敌意, 但他拒绝我的提议)

12. hold out, to
定义: 不减弱, 继续运转, 仍具功能; 持久或继续供应; 顽强抵抗, 拒绝合作, 一意孤行; 肯定某个可能性; 提供东西, 贡献; 代表; 隐瞒或扣留消息.
例句: I'm going to keep writing as long as my money holds out. (只要我还有钱够我开销, 我会继续写作下去)

13. hold over, to
定义: 延迟, 延后; 延请前政府官员留任, 任满后再留任; 加长活动期间; 强势裹胁某人.
例句: She knows about his criminal past and has been holding it over him to force him to cooperate. (她知晓他有前科并且一直以向别人泄露他的前科来威胁他跟她合作)

14. hold someone at bay, to
定义: 把某人档住, 困住.
例句: They held the burglar at bay until the police could come. (他们把这个窃贼困住直到警察到来为止)

15. hold someone hostage, to
定义: 绑架某人, 将某人扣作人质, 置某人于某个劣势状况.
例句: Our neighborhood is being held hostage to fear. (我们邻近的居民正处于恐惧之中)

16. hold someone in contempt, to
定义: 蔑视某人, 不齿某人.
例句: He looks down upon those who succumb to the weakness of cowardice and holds them in contempt. (他看不起那些屈服于懦弱的人们并且藐视他们)

17. hold someone in high regard, to
定义: 对某人极为推崇敬佩.
例句: All of us hold the teacher in high regard. (我们都对这位老师极为敬佩)

18. hold someone prisoner, to
定义: 俘虏某人, 将某人监禁或控制住.
例句: A woman was snatched off the street and held prisoner for three days has been freed from her kidnapper. (一名在大街上被劫持并且被监禁三天的女子被她的绑匪释放)

19. hold someone responsible, to
定义: 要某人负责任.
例句: Because I'm the cashier, the manager holds me responsible for missing cash. (因为我是出纳员, 我的经理要我对遗失的现金负责)

20. hold someone to something, to
定义: 坚持某人遵守承诺或协议.
例句: You made that promise and I'm going to hold you to it. (你做出了那个承诺, 我一定会确保你履行你的承诺)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 73 访客