royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 559

帖子 royl » 周三 5月 27, 2015 7:35 am

二十笔实用成语 559

01. have a hollow leg, to
定义: 饮酒海量, 大酒量.
例句: Mei-Mei must have a hollow leg. She can drink three 40-oz. bottles of beer and still walk a straight line. (美美肯定酒量很大. 她可以喝完三瓶四十盎司啤酒之后还能走一条直线)

02. hollow promise, a
定义: [名词]空洞的承诺, 不会被实现的承诺.
例句: The Governor's hollow promise of "more and better jobs" has fallen woefully flat as Michigan suffers America's third worst unemployment rate. (由于密西根州受到被列为美国失业率第三高的重创, 这个州长"创造更多更好工作"的空洞承诺悲惨地完全失败)

03. hollow ring, have a
定义: 听起来空洞或虚伪.
例句: Their threats have a hollow ring. (他们的威胁听起来像是虚张声势)

04. hollow victory, a
定义: 空洞的胜利. 只赢得名次并无实质收获.
例句: Winning a debate with a 15 year olds on internet sounds like a hollow victory to me. (对我来说, 在网上赢得一个十五岁小孩的辩论听起来像是一场空洞胜利)

05. Holy cats!/Holy cow!/Holy mackere!/Holy moly what a goalie!/Holy moly!/Holy Moses!/Holy smoke!/Holy terror!/Holy Toledo!
定义: [惊叹语]天啊! 表达惊讶, 惊奇, 惊喜的惊叹语.
例句: Holy cow! Don't tell me you're paying 25 percent interest on your credit card! (天啊! 别告诉我你在付你信用卡百分之二十五的利息)

06. home and dry, be
定义: [英国]完工, 顺利完成, 大功告成, 凯旋归来.
例句: I've just got one more report to write and I'll be home and dry. (我只剩下一个报告要写, 写好了就大功告成)

07. home and hearth
定义: [名词]家庭的温馨与安全感.
例句: Having been working out of town for three months, I started longing for the comforts of home and hearth. (在外地工作了三个月了, 我开始思念家庭的温馨)

08. home away from home; home from home
定义: [美国]家外之家, 异乡之家. (注: 意指虽然不是自己家, 但感觉与自己家一样温馨的地方)
例句: This apartment is tastefully furnished and makes me feel like a home away from home. (这间公寓摆设挺风雅, 让我感觉像个家外之家)

09. home-court advantage, the
定义: [运动术语]主场优势.
例句: I'm a good debater. I don't need a home-court advantage to win. (我是个优秀的辩论者. 我不需要主场优势才能赢)

10. home free, be
定义: 完工回家或离开, 大功告成.
例句: If we can meet this next deadline, we'll be home free. (如果我们能够赶上下一个期限, 我们就大功告成)

11. home in on, to
定义: 接近或对准目标; 关注, 严密注意/追踪/寻找.
例句: The police are homing in on Tom as their primary suspect. (警方将汤姆视为主嫌正在严密地注意他的一行一动)

12. home sweet home
定义: 甜美温馨的家, 我爱我家. (注: 意指游子返家之后感到的温馨与愉快)
例句: Home sweet home. Honestly when I come home I am overwhelmed by the blessing of having our own space. (甜美温馨的家. 老实说, 每当我回家我便感受到那份专属于自己小天地的祝福令我感动不已)

13. hone after/for, to
定义: [美南方言]渴望, 思念.
例句: "What's wrong with Jane?" "She's honing for her sweetheart." ("珍怎么啦?" "她在思念她的爱人.")

14. hone in, to
定义: 接近或对准目标; 关注, 严密注意/追踪/寻找.
例句: Researchers are honing in on the cause of the disease. (研究人员正严密地追踪这个病因)

15. honest and aboveboard, be
定义: 正大光明, 诚实坦荡, 不玩花招.
例句: You can do whatever you wish, as long as you keep it honest and aboveboard. (只要你依循诚实坦荡的办事方针, 你尽可随心所欲地放手去干)

16. honest as the day is long, be (as)
定义: 十分诚实的.
例句: You can be as honest as the day is long and still get into trouble if you fill in your tax form incorrectly. (如果你填写你的税表出了错的话, 即使你是十分诚实你仍会惹上麻烦)

17. honest to God/goodness/Pete
定义: 实话实说, 我说的是真的, 不骗你.
例句: Honest to God, I didn't know it was yours. (实话实说, 我真的不知道这个东西是你的)

18. honest truth, the
定义: 千真万确的, 良心话. (注: 意指说话者在特别强调其诚意)
例句: Not one of us has all the answers, and that's the honest truth. (说句良心话, 根本没一个人是无所不知的)

19. honey trap, a
定义: 旅游胜地; 卧底行动引诱嫌犯密; 红粉陷阱. (注: 意指以女色勾引人上当事后再敲诈勒索)
例句: They know it's the oldest sting in the book, the police still go ahead and set up a honey trap to get him to confess his crime. (他们知道这是最古老的诱捕技巧, 警方仍然着手布下一个红粉陷阱来引诱他承认他的罪行)

20. honey/hon.
定义: [亲昵称呼语]甜心, 亲爱的等对妻子或女友的亲昵称呼. (注: hon为honey的简称)
例句: Honey, I'm home! (亲爱的, 我回家了!)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 40 访客