回复
royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

详解介词but, by

帖子 royl » 周一 8月 02, 2010 2:06 am

详解介词but, by

but
本文资料取自韦氏学习者字典, 如网友有兴趣阅读英语原文可以点击此连接: http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/but

除了之外:
We had nothing but rain all week. [=it rained for the entire week] (一整个星期都在下雨)
There was no one there but him. (这里除了他之外没别人)
I didn't tell anyone but my sister. (我除了告诉我姊/妹之外没告诉别人)
Who but you would think that? (除了你还有谁会想到那儿?)
No one but you would try that. = No one would try that but you. (除了你之外还有谁会试图做那件事)
I was anything but tired. [=I was not at all tired] (我并不疲劳)

by
本文资料取自韦氏学习者字典, 如网友有兴趣阅读英语原文可以点击此连接: http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/by

1 位于…近处或旁边:
She was standing by [=beside] the window. (她站在窗边)
His wife was sitting by him. (他的妻子坐在他先生旁边)
They have a house by the lake. (他们有一栋湖滨房子)

2a. 来到又离开:
The bus went right by him without stopping. (公车从他旁边路过没停下来)

2b. 暂时停留, 来访:
Some friends stopped/came by our house for a chat. (几个朋友来访聊天)
Why don't you come by my place later? (你为何晚一点不到我住处来?)

3a. 被动语气指出某人或物所做出的事情:
The decision was made by the company president. [=the company president made the decision] (公司总裁做出的决定)
Coal has been replaced by oil. [=oil has replaced coal] (煤炭已被取代原油)
He was killed by a falling rock. [=a falling rock killed him] (他被落下岩石压死)
I was greatly surprised by the result. [=the result surprised me greatly] (这个结果令我大为吃惊)

3b. 以…做某件事:
He opened the door by (using) force. [=he used force to open the door] (他以暴力强行开门)
She succeeded by pure determination. (她凭着纯粹意志成功)

3c. 为了某一目的做出的行为:
You can reset the machine by pressing this button. [=you can press this button to reset the machine] (你可以按一下键纽重新启动这台机器)
He began his speech by thanking the President and ended it by telling a joke. (他首先以感谢总统开始致词并以讲笑话结束演讲)

4. 被某人撰写, 创作:
a play (written) by William Shakespeare (这出戏剧是莎士比亚所撰写的)
This is a portrait of Gaugin (that was painted) by Van Gogh. (这幅Gaugin画像是梵谷所画的)

5a. 交通或运输工具或方式:
Some people came by [=via] train while others came by car. (有些人搭乘火车来这里但也有人驾车来这里)
He returned by [=on, via] the last train. (他搭乘最后一班火车回来)
They sent him a message by [=via] e-mail. (他们以电邮送交讯息)
We drove here by the back roads. (我们抄小路开车来这里)

5b. 进入或离开所使用的方式:
We entered by [=through, via] the front door. (我们从前门进来)

6a. 某人或某物所使用的名称:
The American writer Samuel L. Clemens was known by the name "Mark Twain." (美国人撒姆尔.克雷门斯以"马克.吐温"知名)
Her full name is Elizabeth but she goes by (the nickname) "Lizzie." (她的全名是伊丽莎白, 但是她使用"丽姿"为绰号)
The Federal Bureau of Investigation is usually referred to by its initials "FBI." (联邦调查局普遍以其字首三个字"FBI"来称呼)

6b. 某人如何被称呼或指认:
He called her by name. [=he used her name when he spoke to her] (他跟她说话时称呼她的名字)
I know her by sight but not by name. [=I know what she looks like but I don't know her name] (我认识她的容貌但不知道她的名字)

6c. 以某…名来发誓:
I swear by [=in the name of] all that's sacred that everything I've said is true. —often used in phrases like by God to add emphasis (我以圣人之名发誓我所说的事都是真实的)
He always said he'd retire to Hawaii, and by God, he did it! (他一直说他会到夏威夷退休, 天啊, 他做到了)

6d. 某个单字或短语意味着什么意思:
What do you mean by "acceptable levels?" [=what levels do you consider acceptable?] (你所说的"可以接受的程度"是什么意思?)
She called my theory "interesting," but I don't know what she meant by that. [=I don't know whether she was being sincere, polite, etc.] (她说我的理论"有趣味", 但我不知道这是什么意思)
It's hard to know what the author intended by this phrase. (很难了解作者用这个短语是何意图)

7. 手持或抓住的物件或身体部分:
He grasped the shovel by the/its handle. [=he grasped the handle of the shovel] (他抓住铲子的手把)
She grabbed him by the arm. [=she grabbed his arm] (她抓住他的膀子)
He held/took his daughter by the/her hand. [=he held/took his daughter's hand] (他牵着他女儿的手)

8a. 在白天或晚上:
New York by night [=at night, during the night] is very different from New York by day. [=during the day] (纽约市在晚上与在白天不一样)

8b. 使用某种光照观看或阅读:
The landscape looked very different when we saw it by daylight than it had by moonlight. (景色在日光照射下与月光之下非常不一样)
She was trying to read by the light of a single candle. (她在一枝蜡烛光下尽力阅读)

9a. 在…之前:
We need to leave by noon at the latest. (我们必须在中午之前离开)
They should be here by tomorrow. (他们应该在明天之前到达)
I don't know where she is. She should have been back by now. (我不知道她在哪里. 她现在应该已经回来)
By this time next year she hopes to have a new job. (在明年这时之前, 她希望找到一个新工作)
She's planning to get married next year, by which time she hopes to have a new job. (她计划明年结婚, 在此之前她希望找到一个新工作)

9b. 直到某一时间:
By 2000 the US had been an independent country for more than 200 years. (直到两千年, 美国已经成为独立国家超过两百年)

10a. 遵循:
They didn't play by the rules. (他并没遵循规则比赛)

10b. 基于:
You shouldn't judge other people by (their) appearances. (你不应该以容貌来评断别人)

10c. 依照:
By my watch it's nearly noon. [=my watch says that it's nearly noon] (依照我的手表, 现在快要到中午)

11a. 度量衡单位或数量:
The eggs are sold by the dozen. (鸡蛋是论打卖出)
She gets paid by the hour. (她依照小时算工资)
They have been making progress by small degrees. (他们以微小程度取得进展)

11b. 用于乘法与除法:
multiply 8 by 12 (八乘十二)
divide 10 by 4 (十除以四)

11c. 度量衡使用的数字:
The room measures 15 feet by 20 feet. (这个房间面积是十五乘二十英呎)

12. 差距的数量或长度:
The horse won the race by a nose. (这匹马以一个鼻子之差赢得比赛)
She's taller than I am by several inches. [=she's several inches taller than I am] (她比我高出七英吋)
The price has been increased by five dollars. (这个价格已经增加五块钱)
This one is better by far than that one. [=this one is much better than that one] (这一个比其另一个好多了)

13. 职业, 身世, 天性, 等等:
She's a lawyer by profession. (她的职业是律师)
He's French by birth, although he has lived in America for many years. (他出生为法国人, 尽管他在美国居住多年)
I'm an optimist by nature. [=it is my nature to be optimistic] (我的天性乐观)

14a. 发生或改变的速度:
The work is getting done bit by bit. [=the work is getting done gradually in small amounts] (这个工作逐渐地取得进展)
He's getting better little by little. (他逐渐地进步/康复)
His health is growing worse day by day. = His health is growing worse by the day. [=his health is growing worse every day] (他的健康每况愈下)
The situation is getting more dangerous by the second/minute/hour. (情况每秒/分钟/小时变得越来越危险)

14b. 一系列的人或事或物进行或处理:
They entered the room two by two. [=two at a time] [=two of them entered the room, then two more entered the room, etc.] (他们以每两人一次地进入房间)
I solved the problems one by one. [=I solved the first problem, then the second one, etc.] (我一个接一个把问题解决了)

15. 某人的意见:
Whatever you want to do is fine/okay by me. [=I am willing to agree to whatever you want to do] (我愿意同意你所想要做的事)

16a. 代表某人:
He always did right by his children. [=he always did the right things to help his children] (他永远做对他小孩有益的事情)

16b. 指出某人儿女是夫或妻所生的:
He had two daughters by his first wife and a son by his second wife. [=his first wife was the mother of his two daughters and his second wife was the mother of his son] (他有两个女儿是跟第一任妻子所生的, 一个儿子是跟第二任妻子所生的)
She has two children by her first husband. (她有两个小孩是跟她第一任先生所生的)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 37 访客