royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 183

帖子 royl » 周二 9月 20, 2011 11:10 am

二十笔实用成语 183

01. can't put the genie back in the bottle
定义: 覆水难收, 无法遏止某个一发不可收拾的问题.
例句: So what's the answer? We certainly can't put the genie back in the bottle, so we are left to create a more solid barrier against criminal activity. (那么答案是什么呢? 我们肯定遏止不了这个一发不可收拾的问题, 因此我们只好建立更坚强障碍来抵抗犯罪活动)

02. Can't question him, can we?
[成语句型]不能质疑他, 我们可以吗? (注一: 问题前半段用肯定语气, 后半段一定要用否定语气; 注二: 前半段用否定语气, 后半段一定要用肯定语气; 注三: 注意助动词要统一, 前面用can't后面一定要用can不能用do, does, will等等)

03. can't say enough about someone
定义: 对某人赞不绝口.
例句: I really can't say enough about you and your staff. You were professional, honest, and prompt. Thank you for all of your help! (我真的对你和你的工作人员赞不绝口. 你的态度专业, 诚实, 和果断. 谢谢你给予的一切协助!)

04. can't see beyond the end of one's nose
定义: 鼠目寸光. 只顾眼前事件或问题, 不看大局.
例句: As observant as she would like to believe herself to be, however, Karen just can't see beyond the end of her nose. (尽管她认为她很善于观察, 不过, 凯伦确实没法看到大局)

05. can't see farther than the end of one's nose
例句: For some reason, Mrs. Tan can't seem to see farther than the end of her nose just how fortunate she is to have a guy like Mr. Tan on her side. (不知道为什么, 谭太太没法看到大局, 她不知道她有多幸运有一个像谭先生这样的人在旁鼓励支持她)

06. can't see for looking
定义: 因为找东西找得太久弄得眼花撩乱. (注: 意指你要找的东西就是在显而易见的地方也找不到)
例句: Will you try to find my glove? I can't see for looking. (你能不能帮我找我的手套? 我找得太久都弄得眼花撩乱)

07. can't see past the end of one's nose
例句: Sometimes a person, through no fault of his own, can't see past the end of his nose. (有时候一个人, 并是他的错, 只顾眼前问题)

08. can't see the forest for the trees
定义: 见树不见林. 只看细节却不看到大局.
例句: He has no real understanding of most problems as he always fails to see the forest for the trees. (他对大部分的问题没有真正地了解所以他老是见树不见林)

09. can't see the wood for the trees
定义: 见树不见林. 只看细节却不看到大局.
例句: When you can't see the wood for the trees, mediation can help you find a clearer viewpoint. (当你见树不见林的时候, 沉思可以帮助你找到一个更清晰观点)

10. can't seem to get their act together
定义: 没法振作起来, 端正举止, 态度认真或效率化自己的行动.
例句: His girlfriend has broken up with him and he just can't seem to get his act together and take charge of his life. (他的女友跟他分手了, 他没法振作起来和主宰他自己的人生)

11. can't squeeze blood out of a turnip
定义: 不可能的事; 从某人身上只能榨取这么多并不可予取予求. (注: 意指萝卜里榨不出血)
例句: How are we going to squeeze blood out of a turnip? We've cut all the extras out of our life, cashed out retirements and sold everything of value to make mortgage payments. (我们还能怎么做到不可能的事? 我们已经删除生活上所有额外开支, 把退休基金变现, 卖掉所有值钱东西来付每月贷款)

12. can't stand it
定义: 不能容忍这个, 受不了这个.
例句: I am not an irritable person; not many things get under my skin. But I can't stand it when gas stations put the 8 upside-down on their signs. (我不是一个很容易受干扰的人; 很少事情能激怒我. 但当加油站把数字8倒过来放在招牌上让我不能容忍)

13. can't stand someone
定义: 不能容忍某人, 受不了某人.
例句: I can't stand her either. I think she's fake. She acts and talks disingenuously, and her news style is as fake as her hairstyle. (我也受不了她. 我觉得她好假. 她的言行矫揉造作,她的播报新闻风格跟她的发型一样假)

14. can't stop laughing
定义: 不能停止大笑.
例句: The anchors at Channel 4 News couldn't stop laughing as they showed a video of a model falling not once but twice on the runway at a fashion show. (当他们播放一个模特儿在时装展示的伸展台上​​摔了两跤的视频时候, 这些第四频道的新闻主播没法停止大笑)

15. can't take a compliment
定义: 听不进别人的称赞. (注: 意指不相信别人的称赞是真心的)
例句: Many women can't take a compliment, either because they want to appear modest or don't believe it's true. (许多女人听不进别人的赞赏, 他们不是因为要表现出谦虚就是不相信赞赏是真心的)

16. can't take a joke
定义: (跟某人)开不得玩笑. (注: 因为某人易怒敏感会翻脸生气的)
例句: The injured party, rightly protesting such behavior, is then further insulted and belittled by being characterized as someone who can't take a joke. (受到伤害的一方, 正当地抗议这种行为, 接着被进一步地羞辱和被归类为一个开不得玩笑的人来进行丑化)

17. can't take it anymore
定义: 受不了, 快被逼疯了.
例句: I'm sorry, I tried to let it go today, but I can't take it anymore. (抱歉. 我今天已经尽量地不去计较这事, 但我实在受不了)

18. can't take one's eyes off
定义: 被...深深吸引住, 目不转睛注视...
例句: For some reason I couldn't take my eyes off him. He looked so strange. A gray derby was tilted at a peculiar angle on his head. (不知道为什么我一直地盯着他. 他样子很怪异. 一顶礼帽以一个诡异角度斜戴在他头上)

图片
derby hat

19. can't tell your arse from your elbow
定义: [粗俗语]愚蠢到对简单事都搞不清楚.
例句: It's no good asking him to organize anything – he can't tell his arse from his elbow. (要求他处理任何事情都是没用的– 他连一件简单事务都搞不清楚)

20. Can't tell. It's too early.
[成语句型]很难说, 现在要看出端倪还太早.

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 334 访客