royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 208

帖子 royl » 周六 10月 15, 2011 6:38 pm

二十笔实用成语 208

01. Chicken Little, a
定义: 一个大惊小怪的人. 一个悲观的人尤其常警告别人: 天要塌下来了.
例句: She had always been especially scared of loud noises, which is why we called her Chicken Little. (她总是特别惧怕吵杂噪音, 这就是为什么我们叫她大惊小怪的人)

02. chicken out, to
定义: 临阵退怯, 失去勇气.
例句: He was going to ask her on a date, but he chickened out at the last minute. (他本来要邀她去约会, 但他在最后一刻临阵退怯)

03. chicken scratch
定义: 潦草的手写笔迹.
例句: What is this? If I can't read your chicken-scratch you're going to fail this exam! (你这是什么字? 如果我没法看懂你的潦草笔迹, 你这个考试就不及格! )

04. chicken, a
定义: 胆小鬼, 懦夫.
例句: Don't be a chicken – go introduce yourself to the professor. (别那么胆小 – 去跟这位教授介绍你自己)

05. chicken-and-egg
定义: [形容词]不知道两者谁先发生的, 争论不休的, 争议有关鸡与蛋谁先的.
例句: Newly liberated countries, faced with starting a democracy from scratch, often face this kind of chicken-and-egg dilemma. (新近被解放的国家, 面临从头开始的民主, 经常面对这种争论不休的困扰)

06. chickenhearted, be
定义: [形容词]胆小的, 惧怕的, 容易受惊吓的.
例句: I'm sorry that I'm altogether too chickenhearted to stand up for what I believe in. (抱歉, 我实在太没勇气捍卫自己的信仰)

07. chicken-livered, be
定义: [形容词]胆小的, 惧怕的, 容易受惊吓的.
例句: I care about my family extremely and I'm not at all chicken-livered when it comes to defending my family especially my eight-year-old son. (我极为关心我的家庭, 当谈到保护我的家庭尤其我八岁的儿子, 我没有一丝畏惧)

08. chickens come home to roost, the
定义: 报应终于来了; 恶有恶报.
例句: He was inconsiderate of other people when he was supervisor. Now his chickens have come home to roost and people are very unkind to him. (在他做主管的时候他不考虑别人的难处. 好了, 报应终于来了, 人们对他非常不客气)

09. chickenshit
定义: [不雅语]琐碎的细节; 胆小鬼, 懦夫, 微不足道的事或物.
例句: I know the amount is chickenshit compared with overall government waste, but we have to start somewhere to take our country back. (我知道跟政府全面的浪费比起来这个钱是个微不足道的数字, 但为了收复我们的国家,我们总要从某个地方开始做起吧)

10. chief cook and bottlewasher, a
定义: 身兼数职, 大小工作一手包.
例句: At home, I'm the chief cook and bottle washer. I do all of the yard work and most of the laundry. (在家里, 我是主厨和洗瓶子工人. 我做所有的庭园工作和大部分的洗衣工作)

11. children of the 1960s, the
定义: 一九六零年的一代.
例句: The rebellious culture of the teens of the 1950s had trickled down to the children of the 1960s. (一九五零年代青少年的叛逆文化已经渗透入一九六零年一代的思想里)

12. child's play, a
定义: 容易做的事; 细微末节的事.
例句: Finding the right street was child's play with a map. (有了地图, 寻找正确的街道就容易多了)

13. chili dog, a
定义: 肉酱热狗, 热狗上浇上以碎牛肉与豆子熬的chili酱.
例句: What's your best chili dog recipe? Grilled, steamed, or boiled dogs? I enjoy grilled hot dogs piled high with chili and onions, on a poppy seed bun. (你最好的肉酱热狗食谱是什么? 烧烤的,蒸的, 水煮的热狗? 我喜欢把烧烤好的热狗放在罂粟子面包上再浇上肉酱和碎洋葱)

图片
肉酱热狗
图片
罂粟子面包

14. chili paste, the
定义: 辣椒酱. (注: 中式辣椒酱比较浓所以叫paste)
例句: Chili paste is widely used in Chinese cooking; this paste is made from fermented black beans, flour, red chilies and sometimes garlic. (辣椒酱广泛使用在中式烹饪上; 这个浓酱包含豆豉, 面粉, 红辣椒, 有时候也放大蒜)

图片
中式辣椒酱

15. chili sauce, the
定义: 辣椒汁. (注: 美式辣椒汁是红色加醋的水状酸辣液体)
例句: In America, chili sauce most often called hot sauce, they are typically made from chili pepper, vinegar and salt. (在美国, 辣椒汁也常被称为hot sauce, 它们一般是用辣椒, 醋, 盐所做成的)

图片
美式辣椒汁

16. chill out, to
定义: 别激动, 冷静点.
例句: Before we can debate this matter, you all have to chill out. So sit down and stop bickering. (在我们能够辩论这个议题之前, 你们都要冷静点. 所以先坐下来, 停止争吵)

17. chill us to the core, to
定义: 让我们彻底恐惧, 寒冷, 失望或沮丧.
例句: Sometimes, we see things or hear stories that chill us to the core, and we go days without sleeping because our minds won't let us. (有时候, 我们看到或听到一些事情让我们彻底恐惧, 我们连续几天都​​不能睡觉因为我们的思绪不容许我们睡眠)

18. chilled to the bone, be
定义: 很冷, 冷到骨头里, 寒气刺骨.
例句: Little Shih Tzu can quickly become miserable in the rain, and likely chilled to the bone. (在雨中, 小狮子狗马上就会变得很不舒服, 可能还会感到寒气刺骨)

图片
狮子狗, 也称为西施犬

19. chime in, to
定义: 与...调和; 打入交谈讨论, 插嘴.
例句: We were having a nice conversation until she chimed in and started complaining about everything. (直到她插嘴进来, 开始抱怨每件事情之前我们本来交谈得很愉快)

20. Chinese community, the
定义: 华人社区.
例句: Overseas Chinese communities constitute distinct social and cultural units within the respective countries. (海外华人社区在其所属国家内形成独特的社会及文化单元)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 295 访客