回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十筆實用成語 346

帖子 royl » 周五 5月 11, 2012 1:40 pm

二十筆實用成語 346

01. emigrate vs. immigrate
定義: [易混淆字或片語]這兩個動詞都是移民, 只是emigrate(動詞)是遷移出某地到別處定居; immigrate(動詞)是遷移入某地定居.

02. eminent domain, an
定義: [法律術語]政府徵用權. (注: 政府將私人地產徵收的權利, 通常對會補償物主)
例句: The exercise of eminent domain is not limited to real property. Governments may also condemn personal property or intangible property. (政府徵用權的使用不限於徵收不動產, 政府也可以徵收私人財產或無形資產)

03. eminent vs. imminent vs. immanent
定義: [易混淆字或片語]eminent(形容詞)顯著的, 有名的, 傑出的; imminent(形容詞)即將發生的, 逼近的; immanent(形容詞)內在的, 固有的, 天生的.

04. Emotion clouds your judgment.
[成語句型]激動的情緒模糊了你的判斷.

05. emotional breakdown, an
定義: 情緒崩潰.
例句: Went through an emotional breakdown about a year ago, I stopped eating to the point of borderline anorexia. (大約一年以前我經歷了一個情緒崩潰, 我停止進食幾乎到了厭食症的程度)

06. emotional roller coaster, an
定義: 情緒上的起伏高低, 情緒上的忽高忽低, 情緒上的酸甜苦辣.
例句: I passed my exams and then found out that my brother had been hurt in an accident, so the day has been an emotional roller coaster. (我通過了我的考試, 隨後發現我兄弟在一個車禍中受傷, 因此這一天成為了情緒上高低起伏的一天)

07. empathy vs. sympathy
定義: [易混淆字或片語]empathy(名詞)同理心, 諒解, 體會; sympathy(名詞)同情心, 憐憫, 弔慰.

08. emperor's new clothes, the
定義: 皇帝的​​新衣, 無人敢言的假象.
例句: I've started to feel more and more like the kid in "The Emperor's New Clothes." Goodbye stable middle-class job. Hello, McDonald's. (我開始感覺我越來越像一個在"皇帝的新衣"故事裡的小孩. 拜拜, 安穩的中產階級工作. 哈囉, 麥當勞. 注: 由於經濟惡化, 人們失去安定中薪工作而屈就低薪工作)

09. emphasize the wrong syllable, to
定義: 強調錯誤的觀點而忽視正確的觀點.
例句: You're emphasizing the wrong syllable, you should stress the need for brushing your teeth regularly instead of the importance of flossing. (你強調了錯誤的觀點, 你應該指出按時刷牙而不是用牙線清牙的重要性)
图片
用牙線清牙

10. empty calories, with
定義: 高熱量但沒有營養價值.
例句: It's just too easy to feed the kids garbage with empty calories, plop them in front of the TV and call it parenting. (給兒女吃高熱量沒營養的垃圾食物再縱容他們看電視, 把這個稱為教養子女未免太容易了)
图片
垃圾食物

11. empty flattery, an
定義: 虛假空洞的阿諛.
例句: "I can spot empty flattery and know exactly where I stand. In the end it's really only my own approval or disapproval that means anything." - Agnetha Faltskog. ("我可以認出虛假的阿諛也知道我自己的確切立場為何. 最終只有我自己的認可或不認可才真正算數" - 昂內塔•費爾特斯科格)
图片
瑞典阿巴合唱團(ABBA)的成員—昂內塔•費爾特斯科格

12. empty nester, an
定義: 空巢人. (注: 子女都長大離家的父母)
例句: How do you know you're an empty nester? Well, you go for a long drive and miss hearing "Are we there yet?" (你如何知道你是不是個空巢人? 好, 你開一段很長的路程看看你是否還懷念聽到的"我們到了沒有?" 注: 意指如果你還懷念兒女小時候的車上怨言, 你是個空巢人)

13. empty out, to
定義: 清除胃腸; 清空, 清除, 出清; 將銀行款提光; 花光.
例句: I want to be on top of things so I can squeeze as much life out of my car without emptying out my wallet on big, unexpected repairs. (我想要掌握狀況以便我可以把我的車子每一寸生命都善加利用而不需要花光我的積蓄在高額, 出乎意料的汽車修理上)

14. empty promise, an
定義: 虛假空洞的承諾.
例句: He makes nothing but empty promises. And he rarely completes a project, even though he's extremely handy. (他只會做出虛假空洞的承諾. 儘管他手藝極佳, 他很少完成一個工作項目)

15. empty suit
定義: 空殼子; 空有其表卻無能的主管或當權者.
例句: This candidate is an empty suit, but you already knew that. So it should come as no surprise to hear his plan to restore the economy. (這個候選人是個空殼子, 但你已經知道這個事實. 所以當你聽到他高談闊論他的經濟復甦計劃時你肯定不會驚訝)

16. empty-headed, be
定義: [不尊重語]愚蠢的, 沒腦的.
例句: All that money that could be put to good use and this empty headed numbskull wastes it all on booze and drugs. (這些錢本可以善加利用而這個愚蠢的笨蛋把錢全花在酒和毒品上)

17. en masse
定義: 全體地, 一起地.
例句: The Hmong arrived en masse from Southeast Asia to rejoin family members who had resettled in the area after the Vietnam War. (這批苗人從東南亞一起到達與越戰後遷來此地定居的家人團聚)
图片
(中國苗族佔全球苗族八成並居中國第五大民族)苗族女子傳統服飾

18. en route
定義: 在路途上, 沿途上.
例句: Our plane en route to Taipei was diverted to Phoenix International Airport after a warning sensor indicated smoke on the plane. (由於一個感應警報器顯示出機上冒煙之後, 我們飛往台北的班機在路途中被迫降在鳳凰城國際機場)

19. end in itself, an
定義: (做某事)純粹是興趣並無其他目的; 本身即是目的, 不求其他.
例句: When money becomes an end in itself, it turns into a religion. (當金錢本身成為目的之時, 它就變成了一個宗教)

20. end in smoke, to
定義: 成泡影, 灰飛煙滅, 轉眼成空, 完全失敗.
例句: All his dreams shattered and the castles he built in air ended in smoke. (他所有的夢想都破碎, 他所築成的空中樓閣也成了泡影)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 299 访客