royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 497

帖子 royl » 周日 7月 20, 2014 4:58 pm

二十笔实用成语 497

01. grease someone's palm/hand; grease the palm/hand of someone, to
定义: 买通某人; 向某人行贿; 给某人好处.
例句: They had to grease the palms of a few inspectors at city hall to get the permits they needed to start building. (他们不得不买通几名市政府的督察员取得他们开工所需的许可证)

02. grease the right palm/hand, to
定义: 买通, 行贿或将好处给正确的人.
例句: Then again, Grease the right palm and you can even build the sphinx in the middle of the street. (话又说回来了, 如果你有办法买通对人的话, 你甚至可以在大街上盖一座人面狮身像)
图片
人面狮身像

03. grease the skids/wheels, to
定义: 使事务顺利进行, 促成...更顺畅.
例句: They hoped that the tax cuts would grease the wheels of the economy. (他们希望这个减税措施会促进经济成长)

04. greaser, a
定义: [俚语]油头小子; 年轻又带叛逆性的油头年轻人常具有白人劳工阶层背景而且喜欢玩汽车或摩托车.
例句: Two greasers were hanging out in the woods behind the school. (两个油头小子在学校后面的树林里厮混)
图片
油头小子

05. greasy spoon, a
定义: [俚语]卫生条件差的低档小饭馆, 邋遢的廉价饭馆.
例句: We had to go to a greasy spoon for breakfast as all the other restaurants were closed. (由于所有其他的餐馆都没开门, 我们只好去一家低档小饭馆吃早餐)

06. Great arguments!
定义: [赞许语]说得好! (注: 意指同意令人欣赏的辩论或反驳)
例句: Great arguments! Even we could have reduced the US carbon dioxide emissions to zero and yet global emissions still would have gone up. To me, driving America back to the Stone Age is their goal. (说得好! 即使我们能够把美国二氧化碳排放减至零, 而全球的排放量仍会上升. 我看把美国赶回石器时代是他们的目标)

07. great number of/great many of, a
定义: 许许多多.
例句: This project would never have happened without the support of a great number of people. It pains me that I do not have the time here to name all of them. (没有许许多多人们的支持这个工作项目就不可能会发生. 令我痛苦的是我在这儿没有时间把他们所有的名字一一念出)

08. great of soul, be
定义: 人格崇高的.
例句: He has been a man both great of soul and of great faculty in social matters. (他在社会事务上一直是个人格崇高的和判断明智的人)

09. great one for something, a
定义: 对某活动狂热, 乐此不疲.
例句: She's a great one for getting other people to do her work. (她最乐于指使别人做她的工作)

10. great unwashed, the
定义: 下层无知民众.
例句: Unfortunately, the great unwashed rarely vote for a leader who cares about the general well-being of the nation. (不幸地, 下层无知的民众鲜少投票给一个关切国家总体福祉的领导人)

11. great white hope, the
定义: 伟大的白人希望. (注: 出自二十世纪初期白人拳手一直被黑人拳王击败, 使人寄望出一个新白人拳王的诞生)
例句: The truth is ugly, yet, it has to be told. Isn't this presidential race going to be the Great White Hope vs. the Black Man? (真相听起来不舒服, 然而, 它必须被说出来. 难道这个总统选举不就是伟大的白人希望对抗那个黑人吗?)

12. great/desperate/pressing need for change, a
定义: 迫切需要的变革.
例句: My complacency has lulled me into a sedentary and lazy lifestyle. I realize there is a desperate need for change in my life. (我的自我满足使我养成了一个呆滞与怠惰的生活习惯. 我明白我迫切地需要在生活上做一个变革)

13. greater/better/more than the sum of its parts, be
定义: 团结的力量是惊人的. (注: 意指看起来不起眼的成员可以形成一股极有效率, 战斗力惊人的队伍)
例句: At this level, our team is greater than the sum of its parts and can produce significant results. (在这个程度上, 我们整个团队的力量是惊人的并能够拿得出重大成果)

14. greatest/best thing since sliced​​ bread, the
定义: 空前绝妙的主意或发明.
例句: Mobile phones are marketed as the best thing since sliced​​ bread, but to me they're just another expensive gadget. (行动电话被推销为空前绝妙的发明, 但对我来说只是另一个昂贵的精巧小玩意儿)

15. green about/around the gills, be (as)
定义: 脸色苍白, 想吐的.
例句: Bobby looked a little green around the gills when he got off the roller coaster at the amusement park. (鲍比从游乐场的云霄飞车/过山车走下来的脸色有点苍白)
图片
过山车/云霄飞车

16. green as grass, be (as)
定义: 幼稚的, 没经验的; 绿色; 脸色苍白, 想吐的.
例句: The new recruits were green as grass; they didn't even know how to load their rifles. (这些新兵没什么经验; 他们居然不知道如何把他们的步枪装上子弹)

17. green card, a
定义: 绿卡. (注: 美国永久居民证)
例句: A United States Permanent Resident Card is known informally as a green card because it was green from 1946 until 1964, and it reverted to that color on May 11, 2010. (一张美国永久居民卡俗称为绿卡因为它在1946年至1964年之间是绿色的, 而在2010年五月十一日它的颜色又恢复为绿色)

18. green fingers/thumb
定义: [名词]园艺才华.
例句: Thanks to my mother's green thumb, we usually had vegetables fresh from the garden. (多亏我母亲的园艺才华, 我们经常可以吃到菜园的新鲜蔬菜)

19. green with envy, be
定义: 充满了嫉妒或羡慕.
例句: The little girl was green with envy when she saw her friend's new bicycle. (当这个小女孩看到她朋友的崭新自行车她充满了羡慕)

20. greenback, the
定义: [俚语]美钞; 金钱.
例句: A green home takes a lot of greenbacks to install solar panels that silently generate electric power from the light of the sun. (一栋环保房屋需要花费大量的金钱来装置借着阳光来无声发电的太阳能面板)
图片
太阳能面板

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: Google [Bot] 和 44 访客