注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

“beside” 和 “besides” 兩者之間的差異

帖子 royl » 周一 9月 22, 2014 5:51 am

“beside” 和 “besides” 兩者之間的差異

Question (問題)
Can you please explain how to use beside and besides? — Kumara, Sri Lanka
能不能夠請妳解釋如何使用beside 與 besides?

Answer (韋氏字典英語語言學習出版總監Jane Mairs女士解答)

Thank you for this interesting question. The spelling difference between beside and besides is a small one, but their meanings and uses are quite different!
謝謝你提出這個有趣問題. beside 與 besides 這兩字的拼寫差別很小, 但它們的意義與用法卻差別很大!

BESIDE, with no “s” at the end, is used only as a preposition, which means there is always a noun following it. It means either “next to” or “compared to,” as shown in the examples below. The first meaning, “next to,” is more common.
BESIDE, 在末尾沒有”s”, 只用於作為一個介詞或前置詞, 也就是說它後面總是有個名詞跟隨它. 如下面例句所顯示, 它的意義是“在...的旁邊” 或者是 “和...相比.” 而第一個意義比較常用.

She sat beside (= next to) him during dinner.
在吃晚餐的時候, 她坐在他的旁邊.
These problems seem unimportant beside (= compared to) the potential benefits of the new system.
這些問題和新系統所帶來的潛在好處相比似乎微不足道.

BESIDES with an “s” at the end can also be used as a preposition, but it means “except” or “in addition to,” as in these examples:
BESIDES, 在末尾有”s”, 也可以作為一個介詞使用, 但它的意義為“除此之外” 或者是 “而且/另外,” 請看下面例句:

There's no one here besides (= except) me.
除了我之外沒有別的人.
She wants to learn other languages besides (= in addition to) English and French.
除了英文和法文之外她還想學習其他的語文.
Besides (= in addition to) its famous cakes, the bakery also makes delicious breads and cookies.
除了它的著名蛋糕之外, 這家麵包店也做可口的麵包和餅乾.

However, BESIDES can also be used as an adverb, to introduce additional information. As you can see in the examples below, besides can be placed either before the additional information or after it. When it’s placed before the new information, a comma should be inserted after it.
但是, BESIDES也可以作為副詞使用來引進額外的訊息. 由下面的例句, 你可以看到BESIDES可以放置於額外訊息的前方或者後方. 當它被置於新訊息的前方的時候, 它後面應當緊接著添加一個逗號.

They serve pasta and many other foods besides. (besides comes after the new information: “and many other foods”)
除此之外, 他們還供應義大利麵食以及許多其他食物. (在這句話裡BESIDES被置於新訊息“and many other foods”的後方)
The play is excellent, and besides, the tickets don't cost much. (besides comes before the new information: “the tickets don’t cost much”)
這齣話劇演得非常好, 並且, 票價不貴. (在這句話裡BESIDES被置於新訊息“the tickets don’t cost much”的前方)
I'm not ready to get married yet. Besides, I enjoy living alone. (besides comes before the new information: “I enjoy living alone”)
我還沒準備好結婚. 除此之外, 我喜歡獨居. (在這句話裡BESIDES被置於新訊息“I enjoy living alone”的前方)

I hope this helps.
我希望這對你有所幫助.

英語原文來源: http://www.learnersdictionary.com/qa/di ... ion-adverb

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 54 访客