royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 625

帖子 royl » 周日 11月 08, 2015 11:32 pm

二十笔实用成语 625

01. in the hoosegow
定义: 在监狱服刑.
例句: The cops threatened to throw Tom in the hoosegow unless he told them where he got the fake driver's license. (这些警察威胁要将汤姆关进监狱除非他告诉他们他在那儿取得这张伪造驾照)

02. in the hot seat; on the hot seat
定义: 处于不安, 尴尬或焦虑情况中.
例句: Give me a break, I've been on the hot seat all morning, fielding phone calls from angry customers! (让我喘口气吧, 我整个早上就处在这个尴尬的状况, 处理愤怒客户的抱怨电话)

03. in the hour of need; in times of need
定义: 在需求孔急的一刻, 在无助的一刻.
例句: We can always count on them to help us in times of need. (每当我们在无助的时刻, 我们总是能够指望他们的援助)

04. in the house
定义: 在场, 出席.
例句: When the movie ended, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. (当电影放完的时候, 在场的每个人都被感动落泪)

05. in the interest of
定义: 为了...利益; 符合...利益.
例句: Maintaining a stable, equal and safe society is in the interest of all of us. (维护一个稳定, 平等以及安全的社会是符合我们所有大众的利益)

06. in the interim
定义: 同时, 在此时, 在此期间.
例句: You can mow the lawn now. In the interim, I'll start preparing our dinner. (你现在可以去割草. 在此同时, 我会开始准备我们的晚餐)
图片
使用推草机割草

07. in the jug
定义: [俚语]在监狱服刑.
例句: I always knew he is going to end up in the jug sooner or later. (我一直确信他迟早会面临牢狱之灾)

08. in the know
定义: 知内情的, 熟悉内幕的.
例句: For those of you not in the know, Jane is the person who founded this organization. (告诉你们中不知内情的人, 珍是这个机构的创办人)

09. in the land of the living
定义: 清醒, 还活着.
例句: She was partying till the early hours, so I don't imagine she'll be in the land of the living before noon. (她昨晚狂欢了一夜直到凌晨, 因此我不认为她会在中午之前醒来)

10. in the lap of luxury
定义: 养尊处优, 在富裕环境里.
例句: When I retire, I'd like to live in the lap of luxury. (当我退休的时候, 我希望能过着优沃的生活)

11. in the lap of the gods
定义: 交给老天, 听天由命. (注: 意指某事在尽人力之后, 其结果只有听天由命)
例句: The doctors have done everything possible for him, so his recovery now is in the lap of the gods. (这群医师已经为他尽了一切的能力, 因此他的康复现在只有交给老天了)

12. in the latest developments
定义: (某事件)最新的发展.
例句: In the latest developments, the FBI has agreed to investigate the alleged hate crime. (这件新闻的最新发展是, 联邦调查局已经同意调查这宗被指控的仇恨罪)

13. in the lead
定义: 位于前面, 领先.
例句: They're supposed to give us hard numbers about who is in the lead and who is lagging behind. But it turns out that polls don't necessarily offer dependable information. (他们应该给予我们有关谁领先以及谁落后的明确数字. 但结果是民意调查并不必然地提供可靠的数据)

14. in the least
定义: 丝毫, 根本, 一点.
例句: Oil prices did go down, but the price of gas didn't change in the least. (石油价格确实下跌了, 但汽油价格却一点都没改变)

15. in the limelight; into the limelight
定义: 引起各方面关注.
例句: When his new book caused an unexpected controversy, he was thrust into the limelight once again. (当他的新书引起了一场始料未及的争论, 他再度被迫受到大众的注意)

16. in the long haul; in the long run; over the long haul
定义: 从长远来看, 长期地看, 最终.
例句: In the long haul, you'll earn more money if you have a college degree. (长远来看, 你如果取得了大学文凭的话, 你将会赚进更​​多的钱)

17. in the long term; for the long term
定义: 从长远来看, 长期地看, 最终.
例句: For now he is losing money on his stocks but in the long run he should make money. (眼前他虽然在他的股票上赔钱, 但从长远来看他应该会赚钱的)

18. in the loop
定义: 居于圈内的, 参与决策核心的.
例句: I really don't like to name names, especially since I'm not in the loop anymore. (我实在不想公开点名, 尤其是因为我已经不再是圈内人)

19. in the lump
定义: 整体来说, 总共.
例句: A healthy economy is in the best interests of society in the lump. (一个追求整个社会最大利益的经济才是健康的经济)

20. in the main
定义: 大体上, 通常, 一般而言.
例句: The weather here has in the main been quite good. (这里的天气大体上一直都相当不错)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 52 访客