royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 748

帖子 royl » 周四 5月 10, 2018 11:31 am

二十笔实用成语 748

01. man/woman of honor, a
定义: 讲荣誉的人, 受尊重的人, 言而有信的人.
例句: We are men of honor. Lies do not become us. (我们是讲荣誉的人. 说谎的事我们是不会做的)

02. man/woman of integrity, a
定义: 正直的人.
例句: Jack is a man of integrity. He won't sell us out. (杰克是个正直的人. 他不会出卖我们)

03. man/woman of letters, a
定义: 学者, 文学家, 作家.
例句: As a man of letters, the professor could easily speak for hours on the works of Shakespeare. (作为一个文学家, 这位教授能够轻易地畅谈莎士比亚作品一连好几个钟头)

04. man/woman of (many) parts, a
定义: 多才多艺者.
例句: My grandfather was a man of many parts: a talented musician, a good cook and not a bad painter. (我爷爷是个多才多艺的人: 一个才华横溢的音乐家, 一名烹调高手和一个不错的画家)

05. man/woman of means, a
定义: 富人.
例句: His extravagant spending habits led everyone to believe that he was a man of means. (他奢华花费习惯让大家相信他是一个富豪)

06. man/woman of straw, a
定义: 懦弱之人; 弱势敌对者; 假想敌; 傀儡.
例句: You don't need to be frightened of him. He's a man of straw. (你不须要怕他. 他是个懦弱之人)

07. man of the cloth, a
定义: 牧师, 教士或神职人员.
例句: Ever since he was young, John knew he wanted to become a man of the cloth. (自从他小的时候, 约翰知道他想要成为一名神职人员)

08. man/woman of the house, the
定义: 家庭男/女主人.
例句: Overnight, young Eddie became the man of the house at just 14. (一夜之间, 只有十四岁的年幼艾迪突然成为了家庭男主人)

09. man/woman of the moment, the
定义: 当红人物, 当时风云人物.
例句: Justin was man of the moment at their company after securing the biggest customer their business had ever had. (在他争取了他们公司有史以来最大的客户之后, 贾斯廷成为他们公司的风云人物)

10. man/woman of the world, a
定义: 精通世故, 老练, 见过世面的人.
例句: She's a woman of the world and understands these delicate issues. (她是一名世故老练之人, 她了解这些高度敏感问题)

11. Man oh man!
定义: [惊叹语]表达欲望或惊讶. (注: 不能照字解释)
例句: Man oh man! You should've seen how painfully slow it was with a dial-up modem 20 years ago (唉呀! 你应当看看二十年前使用电话线拨号的数据机它的速度有多缓慢得让人痛苦不堪)

12. man on the Clapham omnibus, a
定义: [英国]一般人, 普通人.
例句: The wealthy and powerful never liked the man on the Clapham omnibus knowing about their lives. (这些富裕的, 有权势的人从来就不喜欢一般的普通人了解他们的生活)

13. man the pumps, to
定义: 操作压水机. (注: man在这个短语或片语里是一个动词)
例句: We were manning the water pumps and trying to fight the blaze. (我们在操作水泵机, 试图扑灭大火)

14. man to man, as
定义: 坦诚地, 诚实地; 全场盯人地.
例句: I'm very much looking forward to seeing him and sitting down and talking to him man to man. (我非常期待跟他见面并且坐下来和他开诚布公地交谈)

15. Man upstairs, the
定义: 神, 老天.
例句: I doubt the Man upstairs will approve of this, but I don't see any other way of getting this project finished. (我怀疑老天爷会同意这件事, 但是我没法看出有任何其他的方法来完成这件工作项目)

16. man without principle, a
定义: 没原则的人.
例句: We must be consistent to support principle in our every action. This guy is a man without principle, and we should treat him as such. (我们必须在每一个行动上保持一贯性来维持我们的原则. 这个家伙是一个没有原则的人, 我们也应该把他当作这种人来对待)

17. Man, what a game!
[成语句型]啊呀! 真是精彩的球赛! (注: man在此是表示兴奋或惊讶的惊叹语, 与男人没有关系)

18. man/woman of my dreams, the
定义: 梦中情人, 理想对象.
例句: I never expected to get married again, but meeting the woman of my dreams completely changed my mind. (我从来没期望再度结婚, 但遇见了这个梦中情人之后让我完全改变了想法)

19. man/woman of the hour, the
定义: (当时)被推崇的人物; 风云人物, 当红人物或主角.
例句: It's a surprise birthday party for you, Ruth! You're the woman of the hour! (这是一个给你惊喜的生日派对, 露丝! 你是此刻当红的女主角!)

20. man/woman/person of substance, a
定义: 富裕或有权势之人.
例句: She married a man of substance. (她嫁给了一位富豪)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 38 访客