royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 756

帖子 royl » 周四 7月 05, 2018 2:00 am

二十笔实用成语 756

01. mete out, to
定义: 适量施与, 处以或加诸惩罚.
例句: The fines and punishment meted out to violators are not punitive enough to act as a deterrent. (这些施与违法者的罚款以及处分由于不够严厉无法构成具有吓阻的力量)

02. meter is running/ticking, the
定义: 时不我予, 时间越来越急迫, 成本不停地与时俱增, 后果不停地恶化.
例句: We'd better come to a decision soon, for the meter is running. (由于时间越来越急迫, 我们最好尽快地做出决定)

03. method in one's madness, a
定义: 装疯卖傻; 乱中有序. (注: 有人行为虽然看似疯狂, 但乱中有序, 还是有道理可寻)
例句: Give me a chance to explain: there is method to my madness. (给我个机会解释: 我这个可是乱中有序)

04. Mexican standoff, a
定义: 僵局, 互不相让, 无人胜出的局面.
例句: No one was willing to compromise their position on the issue, and with each of us having veto power, it looked like we were heading into a Mexican standoff. (没有人愿意在这场纷争中妥协他们的立场, 双方都拥有否决权, 看样子我们正迈向一个互不相让的僵局)

05. Mickey Mouse job, a
定义: 不重要的, 没挑战性的, 没意义的工作.
例句: I settled for a Mickey Mouse job instead of something challenging. (我勉强地接受了一个无足轻重的工作而不是具有挑战性的工作)

06. Midas touch, to have the
定义: 能点石成金, 生财有术.
例句: The speaker is a young property developer with the Midas touch. (这位演讲者是一个生财有术的年轻房地产开发商)

07. middle ground, a
定义: 双方可接受妥协或让步.
例句: The pastor tried to find some middle ground between the feuding husband and wife. (这位牧师正试图寻求这对长期不合的夫妻双方都可以接受的妥协)

08. might as well
定义: 还不如; 也只有如此.
例句: We might as well go home now. I don't think he will come. (我们还不如回家算了. 我不认为他会过来)

09. might is/makes right.
定义: 拳头大就有道理. (注: 意指有人相信拥有强大武力可以为所欲为)
例句: "How come the country with the biggest army always tells the other countries what to do?" "Might makes right." ("为什么拥有最大军队的国家总是对其他国家指手划脚?" "那是因为拳头大就有道理.")

10. might wonder if ...
定义: 或许想知道是否...
例句: Since water is so important for your health, you might wonder if you're drinking enough daily. (由于水对你的健康非常重要, 你也许想知道是否你每天饮用足够的水)

11. mighty oaks from little acorns grow, a
定义: 万丈高楼平地起.
例句: It's hard to believe that her successful clothing line was once a small business run from her studio apartment. Mighty oaks from little acorns grow. (难以相信她成功的服装系列曾一度是个小型企业在她的小公寓经营. 这就是万丈高楼平地起)

12. mile a minute, a
定义: 非常快速地.
例句: She talks a mile a minute and is very hard to keep up with. (她说得太快, 很难跟得上她在说什么)

13. miles and miles
定义: 相当远的距离, 绵延漫长的路, 比...远得多, 比...好得多.
例句: We drove for miles and miles before we saw a gas station. (我们在绵延漫长的路上开了许久的车子最后才看到一间加油站)

14. miles away, be
定义: 早在老远之外, 离...远得很, 差得远得很.
例句: Even though we're miles away from each other, I always feel like you're by my side. (虽然你我离得很远, 我总是感觉你就在我的身边)

15. milk is off, the
定义: [主要在英国]牛奶已经酸臭. (注: 意指牛奶已经不能喝了)
例句: You can smell instantly if milk is off. I wouldn't worry if it looks and smells fine. (如果牛奶已经酸臭的话你可以马上闻出来. 如果牛奶看其来以及闻起来都没问题的话我就不担心了)

16. milk of human kindness, the
定义: 推己及人, 恻隐之心.
例句: Mary is completely hard and selfish. She doesn't have the milk of human kindness in her. (玛莉是个十足心硬如铁而且自私自利的人. 她对别人没有恻隐之心)

17. milk run, a
定义: 短程, 固定或枯燥的路线或航线.
例句: Instead we took the milk run and went through every little town between here and the island. (相反地, 我们走的是那条固定路线, 它穿越了从这里到那座岛屿中间的每一个小镇)

18. milk the ram, to
定义: 做不可能的事.
例句: Studying for this class is like milking the ram. I'm just not going to get it. (学习这个课程就好像是做不可能的事. 我怎么听就是听不懂)

19. mill around/about, to
定义: 在某处附近漫无目的地绕圈子, 闲逛.
例句: The dogs, losing the scent, milled about in confusion. (这群猎犬们丧失了气味踪迹之后, 它们处于混乱状态, 漫无目的地绕圈子)

20. million and one
定义: 太多.
例句: I'm so busy — I've got lectures to prepare and a million and one letters to write — I just don't know where to start. (我很忙— 我有许多讲课资料要准备, 还有太多的信件要写— 我真不知道从哪儿开始做)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 56 访客