royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 828

帖子 royl » 周一 8月 05, 2019 2:17 am

二十笔实用成语 828

01. on the fritz
定义: (机器)失灵, 坏掉的, 不工作的.
例句: Our washer is on the fritz, so I'm on my way to the laundromat. (我们洗衣机坏了, 因此我只好去这家自助洗衣店去洗衣物)
图片
自助洗衣店

02. on the front burner
定义: 优先处理地, 当务之急地.
例句: The landlords are coming to inspect the property next week, so cleaning needs to be on the front burner! (下礼拜房东要过来检查房子, 所以清洗工作乃是我们当务之急的任务!)

03. on the game
定义: [英国俚语]从事卖淫.
例句: A large number of prostitutes are on the game from a young age as the victims of sex trafficking. (一大批从幼年便成为性贩卖受害者的娼妓正出来从事卖淫)

04. on the go
定义: 忙碌, 活跃, 在繁忙的活动中; 匆匆离开.
例句: Tom has been on the go since early morning trying to get ready for the meeting. (为了准备出席这场会议, 汤姆一大早就忙得不可开交)

05. on the ground
定义: 事发地点; 事件或活动现场; 基层社会.
例句: We need to have reporters on the ground to cover the event in real time. (我们需要派遣记者赶到现场, 实况报导这项活动)

06. on the grounds that
定义: 由于, 因为; 作为某个信念, 行动或争议的基础.
例句: The court overturned that decision on the grounds that the prosecution had withheld crucial evidence. (由于检方拒绝提供关键证据, 本庭撤销了那宗案件的判决)

07. on the heels of
定义: 紧跟, 尾随其后.
例句: On the heels of the typhoon was a five-day rain. (紧随着这次台风之后的乃是一场连下五天的暴雨)

08. on the high seas
定义: 在公海上, 在波涛汹涌的海上.
例句: After our navigation system failed, we found ourselves stranded out on the high seas. (在我们导航系统坏掉之后, 我们便漂泊在公海上)

09. on the hoof
定义: (动物)仍然活着, 被屠宰之前; 仓促做某事; 临时想出; 正在步行中.
例句: She ate lunch on the hoof to get the report done on time. (她匆匆地吃完午餐为得是及时完成这份报告)

10. on the horns of a dilemma
定义: 左右为难, 面临两者皆不利选择.
例句: I'm really on the horns of a dilemma here – do I say no to this great job opportunity, or do I accept it and move away from my family? (我真是为了这件事左右为难– 我难道要跟这个千载难逢的工作机会说不, 还是我接受这份工作, 离开我的家庭?)

11. on the hour
定义: 整点时刻; 下一整点时刻. (例如: 一点钟, 两点钟, 三点钟等等)
例句: The next train will leave on the hour. (下一班火车将在下一个整点时刻出发)

12. on the house
定义: 免费, 不要钱. (注: 意指由店家供应免费的食物或饮料)
例句: The room at the hotel was not ready when we arrived so they provided us with free drinks on the house. (当我到达的时候, 这间酒店客房还没清理出来所以他们供应我们免费的酒水)

13. on the increase
定义: 在增长中, 尤其指次数, 频率, 数量.
例句: E-commerce is on the increase – it's now even possible to buy a new car online. (电子商务的势头正在不停地增强 – 现在甚至有可能在线上购买新车)

14. on the inside
定义: 挤身入圈内; 知悉内情; 内心感受; 内应; 入狱.
例句: She may have seemed happy, but really she was sad on the inside. (她外表上也许表现出快乐, 但实际她的内心却是悲伤的)

15. on the job
定义: 在工作中; 上班.
例句: Sorry, I can't go out with you guys, I'm still on the job. (抱歉, 我没法跟你们一起出去, 我还在上班)

16. on the lam
定义: 躲避警方追捕, 逃亡流窜.
例句: When he's not in jail, he's on the lam – always running. (他如果不是入监服刑就是躲避警方追捕 – 总是在跑路)

17. on the level
定义: 坦承地, 实话实说.
例句: I need you to be on the level with me: do I have any chance at this promotion? (我需要你跟我说实话: 这次的晋升我有机会吗?)

18. on the limp
定义: 跛行, 一跛一跛的走路.
例句: "Norman is on the limp today." "He sprained his ankle playing racquetball last night." ("诺曼今天走路一跛一跛的." "他昨晚在打壁球的时候扭伤了脚踝.")
图片
图片
运动非常激烈和危险的短柄壁球

19. on the line
定义: 在紧要关头; 面临将要失去或失败的危机; 在电话线上; 界于两种类之间; 立即地, 马上地.
例句: Lately Tom's been more conscientious about the quality of his work. He was warned that his job was on the line because of his lack of concern for his duties. (汤姆近来特别留意他的工作品质. 由于他对他的职责漫不经心, 他遭到他将有失业危险的警告)

20. on the line, someone is
定义: 某人在电话线上.
例句: "Your wife is on the line, sir." "What happened?" "She didn't say." ("先生, 你的妻子在电话线上." "发生了什么事?" "她没说. ")

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 48 访客