royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 835

帖子 royl » 周四 9月 19, 2019 12:31 am

二十笔实用成语 835

01. on/off one's game, be
定义: 运动或球运动技艺高或低.
例句: He was really on his game in last night's debate. (昨夜的辩论比赛他真是技高一筹. 注: 从这句话来看, 我们也可以使用这句成语在与运动无关的话题上)

02. on/onto the defensive
定义: 就位准备抵抗, 御敌, 辩护, 证明自己的无辜或正确.
例句: He went on the defensive right away when I started questioning the originality of his work. (当我开始质疑他作品原创性的时候, 他便马上急着为自己辩护, 声称自己是无辜的)

03. on/under the pretext
定义: 假借...为由.
例句: He left the party early on the pretext of having work to do. (他假借着有事情要办的理由提早离开聚会)

04. once a beautiful town
定义: 曾经是个美丽的城镇.
例句: Once a beautiful town, its inhabitants were evacuated only 36 hours after the accident. Today a chilling ghost town, its buildings bear witness to the hasty departure. (曾经是个美丽的城镇, 它的居民仅在事故发生之后36小时便被撤离. 如今一座令人恐惧的鬼城, 从它的楼房可以见证居民们的仓促离境)

05. once a bum, always a bum
定义: [俗语]天生的无赖汉, 江山易改本性难移.
例句: I believe he'll continue to exhibit this behavior for the rest of his life. You know what they say, once a bum always a bum. (我相信他未来这辈子还会继续表现出这种行为. 你是知道他们所说的, 江山易改本性难移)

06. once again
定义: 再一次; 再来一遍; 有如所料地.
例句: He went over the plan once again, stressing the importance of getting all the details exactly right. (他再一次审查了这个计划, 强调把所有的细节都查核正确的重要性)

07. once and for all
定义: 断然地; 永久性地(解决, 清算, 和解); 一劳永逸, 永绝后患.
例句: I told him once and for all that I would not take the new job. (我断然地告诉他我决不会接受这份新工作)

08. once before
定义: 曾经一度.
例句: I remember that I once before had to download the drivers online to get them installed, but cannot find them now. (我记得我曾经一度不得不在网路上下载这些驱动程序再将它们安装好, 但我现在却没法找到它们了)

09. once bitten/burned, twice shy
定义: [俗语]一朝被蛇咬, 十年怕井绳.
例句: I've learned my lesson from dating coworkers. Once bitten, twice shy. (我已经学到了跟同事约会的教训. 一朝被蛇咬, 十年怕井绳. 注: 意指此人曾受到与同事约会所带来的痛苦)

10. once in a blue moon
定义: 稀有地, 很久才发生一次.
例句: "Have you heard from Paul?" "Once in a blue moon he calls, maybe once a year." ("保罗有跟你联系吗?" "他久久才打电话来一次, 大概一年一次." )

11. once in a lifetime
定义: 一生才一次; 稀罕的宝贵机会.
例句: A job offer like that will come just once in a lifetime. (一份类似这样的工作机会可是个稀罕的宝贵机遇)

12. once in a while
定义: 偶尔.
例句: We like Cantonese food so we go to that restaurant once in a while. (我们喜欢吃广东菜因此我们偶尔会去那家餐馆打个牙祭)

13. once or twice
定义: 一次两次, 只有几次, 不经常.
例句: "Have you ever been to Chinatown in Houston?" "Once or twice; not enough to really get to know the place." ("你去过休士顿的中国城吗?" "一次两次吧, 还没足够到对那个地方很熟悉.")

14. once over lightly
定义: 仓促地或粗糙地修补, 检查或巡视一遍.
例句: It's clear that the repairs were done as cheaply and once over lightly as possible. (很明显这些修补是以尽可能地省钱和粗糙方式来做的)

15. once removed
定义: 隔一辈份的亲戚关系, 例如: 堂表兄弟姐妹的小孩.
例句: She is a first cousin of singer Whitney Houston, and a first cousin, once removed, of Whitney's daughter Bobbi. (她是歌手惠特妮•休士顿同辈表姐, 也是同一辈表妹, 惠特妮的女儿鲍比的隔一辈表姐. 注: 这句话里的她是指曾获得六届格莱美奖的歌手迪昂•沃为克)
图片
迪昂•沃为克

16. once something is in place
定义: 一旦当某物或某事情就绪之后.
例句: Once the money is in place, the property owner should contact the sheriff's office as soon as possible to let them know that the balance will be paid off. (一旦这笔钱到位之后, 这名房地产持有人便应尽快地联络县警察局通知他们这笔剩余欠款将被付清)

17. once the dust settles
定义: 一旦当事情平静下来.
例句: I know things have been really hectic during this project, so let's all take a bit of a break and return to it once the dust settles a bit. (我知道这项工程期间的情况一直是繁忙得乱哄哄, 因此我们大家干脆作个短暂休息, 一旦事情平静下来之后再回来上工吧)

18. once too often
定义: 太多次, 太过份.
例句: He's insulted me once too often. (他羞辱我太多次了)

19. once upon a time
定义: 很久以前, 曾经.
例句: Once upon a time, I had a puppy of my own. (很久以前, 我有一只属于我自己的小狗狗)

20. one after another; one after the other
定义: 一个接一个, 相继地.
例句: One after another of her friends got married and moved away. (她的朋友都相继结婚并且搬走了)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 50 访客