royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 854

帖子 royl » 周二 12月 10, 2019 12:31 am

二十笔实用成语 854

01. over with, be
定义: 结束, 做完. (注: 具有早做完早了事的含意)
例句: When the game on television is over with we can eat dinner. (等电视上的球赛结束之后我们就可以吃晚饭了)
图片
电视机播放着美式足球比赛

02. overcast day, an
定义: 阴天, 多云天气.
例句: It was an overcast day, but the weather did not stop hundreds of thousands of people from turning out for the ceremony. (这是一个多云的阴天, 但是这个天气并没有阻碍几十万人出席这场典礼)
图片
多云的阴天

03. overcome a lot of adversity, to
定义: 克服困难重重的逆境或坎坷.
例句: Over the years, I have had to overcome a lot of adversity and some adversities were harder than others, but they were all adversities nonetheless. (多年来, 我不得不克服困难重重的逆境, 有些逆境比较其他的逆境更艰苦, 但它们仍旧是不折不扣的逆境)

04. over-egg the pudding, to
定义: [英国]弄巧成拙, 过份的改善反而弄糟.
例句: If you're telling lies, keep it simple – never over-egg the pudding. (如果你要说谎话的话, 保持简单 – 千万别弄巧成拙, 越描越黑)

05. over-exaggerated vs. exaggerated
定义: [易混淆字或片语]exaggerated本身就是夸大的, 言过其实的, 不需要再变成over-exaggerated, 也就是过份夸大或过份言过其实. (注: 在英语使用上有一个主流趋势就是尽量减少多余的话, 虽然有另一个趋势在尽量堆砌华丽不实的言语)

06. overnight bag, an
定义: 过夜袋. (注: 意指装有过夜的换洗衣物及其他私人物件之袋子)
例句: With her, she carried an overnight bag containing extra undergarments, an extra blouse, and a jacket for the evenings when it turned chilly. (她随身带了一只过夜袋里面装着额外内衣裤, 一件备用的女衬衫, 以及晚上如果变冷便可以御寒的夹克)
图片
女衬衫

07. overnight transformation, an
定义: 一夜之间的转变.
例句: Be realistic, don't expect overnight transformation. Practice makes perfect. Keep at it and you will get better. (实事求是一点, 别指望一夜之间的转变. 勤加练习才会熟能生巧. 一直坚持下去, 你肯定会好起来的)

08. overplay one's hand, to
定义: 过火地高估自己的实力造成失败.
例句: The guy overplayed his hand by demanding too much, causing the potential employer to withdraw what would have been his best offer. (这个家伙高估了自己的实力, 提出了过份要求, 造成这名潜在雇主收回了本可能是他可以拿到的最优沃条件)

09. overriding concern, an
定义: 最优先的, 首要的关切或忧虑.
例句: My overriding concern is to make sure that the conference attendees come away feeling like they've learned something that was worth their time and money. (我最首要的关切便是确定这些与会者在他们离开会议之后觉得他们学习了新知识, 他们所付出的时间和金钱是值得的)

10. overstep one's bounds, to
定义: 超越权限; 超越身份的分际.
例句: I really feel like you overstepped your bounds when you started criticizing John's ability as a parent. (我确实觉得当你开始批评约翰作为一名父亲能力的时候, 你超越了你身份的分际)

11. overt hostility, an
定义: 公开的敌意.
例句: Although there is no overt hostility from both sides, black and white students do not mix much. (虽然双方都没有显示出公开的敌意, 但黑人和白人学生也没有什么互动)

12. overtime pay, an
定义: 超时工资. (注: 美国时薪工资分三种: 正常工资即一周40小时之内工资, 超时工资=正常工资乘1.5即超过一周40小时之后工资, 双倍工资=正常工资乘2 , 双倍工资很少使用)
例句: When he works on the weekends, he collects overtime pay. (等他周末工作的时候, 他便可领到超时工资)

13. overwhelmed by sadness, be
定义: 悲伤欲绝.
例句: It is very painful and unbearable when we are overwhelmed by sadness. Taking counseling is an act of self-love and courage. (当你悲伤欲绝的时候你的心情是很痛苦和难受的. 接受心理辅导是一份爱护自己和勇于面对现实的行为)

14. overwhelming success/victory, an
定义: 压倒性的成功/胜利.
例句: The concert was an overwhelming success and attended by people from many parts of the country. (这场音乐会是一个压倒性的成功, 来自全国各地的人们都出席了这场盛会)

15. owe a debt of gratitude/thanks to, to
定义: 欠某人恩情.
例句: I owe my parents a debt of gratitude for all their support over the years. Without them, there's no way I could have gotten where I am today. (我欠我父母多年来给予我全力支持的恩情. 没有他们,我便无法取得今天的成就)

16. owe a mountain of gratitude to someone, to
定义: 欠某人天大的恩情.
例句: I owe a mountain of gratitude to my wife who continuously inspired me throughout my career. (我欠我妻子给予我巨大的恩情, 她在我整个生涯的发展中不停地给予我启发和激励)

17. owe it to, to
定义: 认为自己有必要或应该; 认为自己应得; 归功于某人, 感恩于某人.
例句: Take a few days off work! You owe it to yourself! (休几天假吧! 这是你应得的!)

18. owe someone an apology, to
定义: 需要向某人(为某件事)道歉.
例句: "I feel I owe her an apology." "Good. When are you going to apologize to her then?" ("我觉得我有必要向她道歉." "很好. 那么你什么时候准备要跟她道歉呢?")

19. owe someone an explanation, to
定义: 需要向某人澄清(某件事).
例句: You owe your wife an explanation since you are married to her and it is also a partnership. (你需要向你妻子澄清这件事因为你们已经结为夫妻而且这桩婚姻也是一份伙伴关系)

20. owe someone nothing in return, to
定义: 不欠某人任何恩情; 两人扯平, 不需要还某人什么.
例句: Tom has done nothing for us and we owe him nothing in return. (汤姆没有为我们做出任何事情, 我们也不欠他一份情)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 45 访客