royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 875

帖子 royl » 周五 3月 20, 2020 10:41 pm

二十笔实用成语 875

01. play catch-up, to
定义: 拼命试图追赶进度, 追赶分数或追赶竞争力.
例句: I just transferred into this class, so now I have to play catch-up with all the material the professor covered in the first few weeks. (我才刚刚转到了这一班, 所以我必须追赶前面几个星期教授已经讲授过课程的进度)

02. play coy, to
定义: [美国]吞吞吐吐, 不愿坦承回答/说明/说清楚, 不愿把话全部说出来.
例句: It's not that I play coy about it, but I believe it would be better if I don't. (并不是我吞吞吐吐不想把话说清楚, 而是我觉得我最好别把话讲得太明白)

03. play dead, to
定义: 装死; 玩装死游戏; 装着被打败沮丧却俟机反攻.
例句: My daughter taught her dog to play dead. (我女儿教她的狗玩装死游戏)

04. play dirty, to
定义: 用卑鄙下流手段; 比赛中表现不诚实的行为尤其欺骗.
例句: Even if his opponents cheat and lie, Pat won't play dirty. (即使他的对手既欺骗又撒谎, 派特也决不愿使出下流手段)

05. play down oneself, to
定义: 自谦, 谦逊自己; 降低自身的重要性.
例句: Be prepared to sacrifice for the team, play down yourself and build up others. (准备为这个团队牺牲自己, 谦逊自我, 赞扬并提升其他成员的自信心)

06. play down to, to
定义: 降低水准以迎合别人; 对观众傲慢无礼.
例句: I just feel like the musical's juvenile, slapstick humor plays down to the lowest common denominator. (我只是觉得这出音乐剧的幼稚, 笨拙及粗糙幽默乃是降低水准以迎合底层群众的口味)

07. play down, to
定义: 小看, 蔑视, 贬抑其重要性.
例句: The doctor tried to play down the seriousness of my father's illness, but we weren't fooled. (这名医生试图降低我父亲患病的严重性, 但是我们心里都很明白真正情况)

08. play ducks and drakes with, to
定义: 花钱如流水, 一掷千金; 对人不礼貌或不诚恳; 糟蹋, 浪费.
例句: Don't play ducks and drakes with this internship – it's a great opportunity, even if it doesn't pay! (别糟蹋了这个实习机遇 – 这是一个大好机会, 即使它不支付你薪水!)

09. play dumb, to
定义: 装聋作哑, 装傻, 装无辜, 装不知情.
例句: Play dumb when she tells you I won the contest. (当她告诉你我赢了竞赛, 你要装出不知情)

10. play fair, to
定义: 对人公平, 遵守法规.
例句: Everyone I know cheats the system to their advantage, so why should I have to be the one to play fair? (我所认识的每个人都欺骗这个制度来图利自己, 所以我为什么要遵守法规呢?)

11. play false, to
定义: 故意虚情假意, 虚与委蛇, 欺骗, 背叛.
例句: I insisted that they offer something of value as a collat​​eral before we entered the deal, lest they play us false with their offer. (在我们生意成交之前, 我坚持要他们拿出有价资产作为抵押品, 以避免他们只是虚与委蛇而非有诚意)

12. play fast and loose, to
定义: 表现出鲁莽不负责; 与某人厮混; 耍花样, 欺骗.
例句: She assures me that she's not playing fast and loose with him; she intends to marry him some day. (她向我保证她不是跟他厮混; 她打算在将来的某一天嫁给他)

13. play favoritism, to
定义: 偏袒某方, 徇私, 护短, 不公平.
例句: He plays favoritism with his friends, listening always to their version, and does not take the time to check the accuracy of anything. (他偏袒他的朋友, 总是听他们的一面之辞, 而且也不花一点时间去查证任何话的真实性)

14. play footsie, to
定义: 偷偷勾引或作性暗示; 与人暗中勾结. (注: 将本成语直接翻译的话, 便是一方以脚去触碰另一方来作性暗示)
例句: My friend's sister started playing footsie with me during dinner. I had no idea she was into me! (在吃晚餐的时候, 我朋友的姊姊便开始暗中勾引我. 我真不知道她对我有意思!)
图片
一方以脚去触碰另一方来作性暗示

15. play for a sucker, to
定义: 把别人当傻瓜; 骗人; 占别人便宜.
例句: I can't believe I let them play me for a sucker. I should have known the deal was too good to be true. (我不敢相信我居然让他们把我当傻瓜耍. 我早该知道我所碰到的这个情况太好以致于不是真的)

16. play for fun, to
定义: 纯为乐趣而打球或比赛. (注: 意指不是正式的比赛, 而是跟朋友为了乐趣而打球或比赛)
例句: Don't worry if you've never played miniature golf before, we're only playing for fun. (如果你以前从来没玩过迷你高尔夫球你也不用担心, 我们只是纯为乐趣而打球)
图片
迷你高尔夫球场

17. play for keeps, to
定义: 严肃, 在意结果地工作; 赢家取得金钱或奖品.
例句: I always play for keeps. (我一直都是严肃认真的)

18. play for laughs, to
定义: 扮演滑稽角色(以博人一笑).
例句: She's fantastic in serious roles, but she also knows how to play for laughs. (她在扮演严肃角色上非常出色, 但她也擅长扮演令人发噱的滑稽角色)

19. play for time, to
定义: 玩拖延战术, 俟机以待.
例句: They're just playing for time hoping that the situation will resolve itself. (他们只是在玩拖延战术以期望这个状况会自身把问题解决)

20. play games, to
定义: 玩心机, 尔虞我诈.
例句: He's been playing games with us. We can't believe anything he says. (他一直跟我们耍心机. 我们可不能相信他说的任何话)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: Google [Bot] 和 54 访客