royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 877

帖子 royl » 周日 3月 29, 2020 8:57 pm

二十笔实用成语 877

01. play on words, a
定义: 玩弄字眼; 使用一语双关诙谐语言.
例句: Most people groan when they hear a pun, but a clever play on words can always make me laugh. (大部分人们一听到一语双关语就痛苦摇头, 但是一句诙谐的双关语总是能够让我欢笑)

02. play on, to
定义: 利用别人弱点趁机占便宜; 利用别人的话语来制造笑话; 不停地玩乐, 演奏或播放.
例句: Advertisers always play on our fears that we're somehow missing out if we aren't buying what they're selling. (广告商总是利用我们的恐惧心理好像我们如果不买他们所推销的产品或服务的话,我们就会莫名其妙地有一种若有所失的感觉)

03. play one's ace, to
定义: 使出撒手鐗或致胜绝招.
例句: The prosecutor then played his ace, showing security camera footage clearly placing the suspect at the scene of the crime. (这名检察官在那时便施出他的致胜绝招, 展示出监视摄像头所记录下该名嫌犯清晰地置身于犯罪现场的视频片段)

04. play one's cards right/well, to
定义: 做出明智选择; 依照精心策划的办法行事.
例句: If I play my cards right, I'll be able to graduate next year. (如果我依照我精心策划的方法读下去, 我将可以在明年毕业)

05. play one's part, to
定义: 尽自己的一份力量.
例句: Each and every one of us has to play your part if we're going to finish the project by Friday. (如果我们要在星期五之前完成这项工作的话, 我们每一个人都应该尽自己的一份心力)

06. play out of your skin, to
定义: 表现淋漓尽致, 全力以赴地竞赛.
例句: You can tell that they played out of their skins for the whole match, but they just couldn't secure a victory against the returning champions. (你可以看出他们整场比赛都使出全力地奋战, 但他们仍旧无法击败返回的冠军并取得胜利)

07. play out, to
定义: 做得彻底, 结束, 耗尽, 放出一些, 松开, 松卷, 松软无力, 没有新鲜感.
例句: Make sure you play out enough rope for us to moor the boat. (你务必要释放出足够的缆绳给我们来停泊这艘船)
图片
把船缆绳栓在码头泊船柱上

08. play politics, to
定义: 玩政治手腕. (注: 意指只图个人政治前途, 不讲原则地妥协等行为)
例句: Look, I came here to discuss the legal issues of this trial, not play politics. (你听着, 我到这里是来讨论本案件所涉及的法律问题, 不是来跟你做政治交易的)

09. play possum, to
定义: 装死; 装睡; 装看不见; 装傻. (注: 意指opossum负鼠一遇攻击不敌就装死, 等对手转移注意就趁机逃逸)
例句: Tom just puts his head down and plays possum whenever the boss looks for someone to do a job for him. (每次当老板在找人为他干活的时候, 汤姆总是正好低着头装睡)

10. play second banana (to someone), to
定义: 作某人的第二选择或候补.
例句: I'm perfectly content to play second banana to David. That's a chance that doesn't come around that often. (我十分满意作大卫的候补. 这是一个相当难得的机会)

11. play second fiddle (to someone), to
定义: 成为某人的幕僚, 属下, 助手.
例句: He has been playing second fiddle to his boss for years and has finally decided to quit. (多年来, 他一直作为他老板的幕僚, 他终于决定辞去这个职务)

12. play someone for a fool, to
定义: 把别人当傻瓜戏弄; 占别人便宜.
例句: I'd advise you not to play her for a fool. She may play dumb, but she's very crafty. (我劝你别把她当傻瓜耍. 她也许在装傻, 但她非常狡猾)

13. play someone like a fiddle, to
定义: 玩弄某人于股掌之上.
例句: He plays her like a fiddle. Doesn't matter how street-smart she is, everyone is a sucker for an sad-eyed puppy. (他将她玩弄于股掌之上. 她虽然精明干练也没用,因为没有人能挡得住一只我见犹怜小狗的魅力)
图片
我见犹怜的小狗

14. play someone off against someone else, to
定义: 鼓动两人或两方互斗.
例句: Jack wanted to beat me up and so did Bob. I did some fast talking, and they ended up fighting with each other. I really played Jack off against Bob. (杰克想要痛揍我一顿, 鲍伯也想揍我. 我鼓着如簧之舌离间两人, 最后他们两人打起来了. 我确实成功地煽动了杰克和鲍伯两人的互斗)

15. play someone up, to
定义: [英国]捣蛋, 疯狂不听话; 带给某人痛苦或麻烦.
例句: I'm exhausted! The children have been really playing up this afternoon. (我累趴了! 这些小朋友真是整个下午疯狂捣蛋, 弄得我疲于奔命)

16. play the devil with ..., to
定义: 造成不安, 毁坏, 扰乱.
例句: I love liquor, but it plays the devil with my stomach! (我爱喝烈酒, 但它总是把我的胃整得很不舒服!)

17. play the devil's advocate, to
定义: 扮魔鬼发言人, 置身反对一方来测试某方立论是否站得住脚.
例句: I'm all for universal health care, but I'll play devil's advocate in asking how the government intends to fund such a massive undertaking. (我完全赞成全民医保方案, 但是我要扮演反对阵营的角色, 试问政府打算要如何为如此庞大的事业提供资金)

18. play the field, to
定义: 参与多样化活动; 跟多人约会或发生情爱或滥情或滥交.
例句: He told me he didn't want to get married yet because he was having too much fun playing the field. (他告诉我他还不想结婚因为他正跟几名女友交往, 他正玩得不亦乐乎)

19. play the fool, to
定义: 装疯卖傻, 耍宝逗乐.
例句: If you play the fool, people will often tell you secrets. (如果你装疯卖傻的话, 人们经常会告诉你他们内心的秘密. 注: 意指如果你隐藏自己的真面目而选择装疯卖傻的话, 人们会因为你的弱智外表往往不设心防并且容易些向你透露他们内心的秘密)

20. play the game, to
定义: 遵守体制规范, 循规蹈矩, 言行得体, 适当. (注: 意指拒绝挑战体制, 不发表叛道离经言论)
例句: We all tend to have revolutionary ideals in our youth, but we usually play the game as we grow older. (我们在年轻的时候往往会有一些革命性的想法, 但是当我们年纪增长之后我们通常会遵守体制规范, 循规蹈矩)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 48 访客