royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 884

帖子 royl » 周六 4月 25, 2020 2:06 pm

二十笔实用成语 884

01. poor as a church mouse, be (as)
定义: 很贫穷的. (注: 原译为像教堂里的老鼠一样的穷)
例句: My father was as poor as a church mouse growing up, so his sole focus was to give his kids every opportunity in life that he missed out on. (我父亲小时候家境很贫穷, 因此他的唯一的注意力都放在给予儿女他这一生所失去的每个机会)

02. poor devil, a
定义: 可怜的家伙.
例句: The poor devil broke his leg on the first day of his new job. (这个可怜的家伙在他新工作的第一天就摔断了腿)

03. make a poor job of, to
定义: 工作品质低劣或不合格; 做得很糟.
例句: Turning and finishing a thin disk in a lathe is not always an easy task and some machinists make a poor job of it even spoil a few before they turn out a good one. (用车床打磨和抛光薄金属盘并不一直是一项容易工作, 有些机工在打造出合格产品之前总是会做出品质低劣甚至还毁损了一些金属盘)

04. poor man's Ferrari, a
定义: 穷人版本的法拉利. (注: 法拉利跑车是很贵的, 但你若买一部便宜却装备豪华的跑车就可称之为穷人版本的法拉利)
例句: Launched in 1984, the first-generation MR2's hard angular lines were followed in 1989 by a more rounded and sculpted second-generation model, often labeled as the "poor-man's Ferrari". (1984年新发布的车形线条刚硬第一代MR2跑车于1989年被更趋圆润平滑流线的第二代型号所取代, 它经常被称为"穷人版本的法拉利")
图片
售价为$9,665.00的银色2005年丰田MR2二手跑车

05. poor mouth, a
定义: 哭穷, 装穷.
例句: I am not crying the poor mouth but only telling it as it is. (我不是在哭穷, 我只是实话实说而已)

06. poor relation, a
定义: 不被看好, 被看不起之一员; 廉价不受重视的取代品.
例句: Watercolor still seems somehow to be the poor relation of oil painting. (水彩画不知为什么似乎仍旧被视为油画的廉价取代品)

07. poor second/third (etc.), a
定义: 远落后第一名的第二名; 远落后第二名的第三名, 等等.
例句: He came in a poor second in the race. (他在这次比赛取得了远落后第一名的第二名)

08. poorly kept secret, a
定义: 许多人已经知道的秘密; 已经不成为秘密的秘密.
例句: It's a poorly kept secret that I have a sweet tooth. I got pretty cranky this morning when I discovered that someone had eaten up my hidden chocolate. (我喜欢吃甜食已成为许多人知道的秘密. 当我今天早上发现有人把我偷偷藏匿的巧克力糖吃光了, 我心情变得恶劣)

09. pop for, to
定义: [俚语]付钱.
例句: I'll pop for the tickets if you buy some snacks. (我来出钱购买电影门票如果你买一些零食的话)

10. pop in, to
定义: 突然地, 没有通知的拜访.
例句: When I'm in your part of town I'll pop in for a visit, okay? (我要是到了你们家附近的话, 我会顺路来拜访你, 好吗?)

11. pop off, to
定义: 突然地, 匆忙地离开; 突然地死亡; 突然杀死某人; 愤怒地脱口而出.
例句: Why did you pop off at me like that? I was just trying to help you! (你对这么我凶干嘛? 我只是想要帮助你!)

12. pop on, to
定义: 压上, 盖上; 播放音乐或电影; 仓促穿上(衣物).
例句: Make sure you pop the cap on before you put it back in the cupboard. (在你把它放回厨柜之前, 你务必要把它盖子盖好)

13. pop one's clogs, to
定义: [英国俚语]死亡.
例句: A friend of mine is convinced he's going to pop his clogs whenever he feels the slightest bit unwell. (我的一个朋友坚信每当他感到有丝毫不舒适的时候, 他便将会死亡)

14. pop open, to
定义: 突然自己弹开, 迅速打开, 拨开.
例句: She popped the umbrella open. (她迅速打开这把伞)

15. pop out, to
定义: 突然出现, 出去一下, 跳出, 弹出, 拨出.
例句: Just pop out the batteries and replace them with fresh ones. (只要把这些旧电池拨出来再换一批新电池就好了)

16. pop over (for a visit), to
定义: 到某处(经常是某人家)去拜访.
例句: Hey, if you're free this Saturday, why don't you pop over for a visit? I'd love to show you the new F450 truck I bought. (嘿, 你如果这个星期六有空的话, 为什么不过来我们家坐一坐? 我很乐于让你参观我新买的F450卡车)
图片
最低建议售价为$51,905的2020年福特F450全新重型卡车

17. pop pills, to
定义: 吞食大量药片或禁药.
例句: I left the party as soon as people around me started popping pills. (当我身边的人们一开始吸食禁药的时候, 我便马上离开这个派对)

18. pop quiz, a
定义: 临时无预警的测验; 随堂测验.
例句: I hate math, and I heard that this teacher always giving pop quizzes and surprise tests. (我非常不喜欢数学, 我听说这名教师总是给学生无预警的随堂测验和意外考试)

19. pop the question, to
定义: [非正式用语]求婚.
例句: In the old days, a man would buy the ring and then pop the question. (在过去, 一个男人通常会去买一只戒指, 然后才求婚)

20. pop up, to
定义: 突然意外地出现; 打出高飞球.
例句: I hadn't seen my friend for almost a year but suddenly he popped up for a visit last week. (我将近一年没见我朋友的面了, 但他却在上礼拜突然意外地来看我)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: Google [Bot] 和 60 访客