请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 4

帖子 royl » 周日 6月 13, 2010 2:29 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 4

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. New building in Houston falls ________ on its back
02. Walmart can get what ________ wants cheap.
03. Is it too much to ask for your coworkers to clean up ________ themselves?
图片
04. I'm pumped up to team ________ with a premier organization like Ford on these new projects.
05. This a lesson I learned the hard ________.
06. The lack of a catalog ________, it was a very interesting exhibit.
07. Like the global economic meltdown that was the result of the unfettered credit orgy the bill for risky behavior always comes ________.
08. There's nothing to be ashamed of ________ trying to communicate in a second language and not being an expert.
09. Why haven't I put an end ________ these unwelcome intrusions earlier?
10. What would happen if you had two ________ ideas at the same time?
11. If I had a dollar for every mistake I have made, I'd be ________ shouting distance of a comfortable retirement.
12. You should be proud of yourself for trying to help someone ________.
13. I am a safe driver thanks to skills that I have honed ________ the past 14 years.
14. There are more concrete examples out there, but this is something ________ the top of my head.
15. As we all know, a "warning" without consequences, is a ________ warning.
16. The scheme enables volunteers to work within their community to ________ awareness of the dangers of speeding.
17. At one time or the other, we've all been guilty of it; staying ________ to the couch and the TV when there's work to do.
18. If you set your goals too low, you'll have too much time ________ your hands and feel empty when you achieve your goals.
19. Let's not forget that only a tiny proportion of road accidents are actually attributed to excessive speed, despite what the pro-speed camera lobby would have you ________.
20. A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take ________ the rights of the other forty-nine.

(after, away, believe, due, flat, glued, half-baked, in, it, notwithstanding, off, on, out, over, raise, to, toothless, up, within, way)

royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 4

帖子 royl » 周一 6月 14, 2010 10:39 pm

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找出美国人经常使用的成语, 片语/词组, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. New building in Houston falls flat on its back.
解说: 休士顿的新屋建筑率跌到谷底. "to fall flat on its back"虽然本意是面朝上地跌倒在地, 也可以解释为彻底失败或身败名裂.

02. Walmart can get what it wants cheap.
解说: 沃尔玛可以以低价取得它所要的(货物). 请网友注意, 大型组织或公司不要使用they, 正确用法是it. "to get what it wants"还有两个意思, 1. 予取予求, 2. 得逞.

03. Is it too much to ask for your coworkers to clean up after themselves?
解说: 要求你的同事事后清理干净自己所弄脏/乱的事与物难道太过份吗? "Is it too much to ask…"就是"要求…难道太过份吗?", 这是常用问话句型之一; "to clean up after oneself", 常可用来请同事用完公用厨房或厕所后自己清理干净, 别把烂摊子留给别人.

04. I'm pumped up to team up with a premier organization like Ford on these new projects.
解说: 这些新计画上(on these new projects), 跟一个像福特汽车这样的一流组织合作(to team up with), 我感到鼓舞(I'm pumped up).

05. This a lesson I learned the hard way.
解说: 这个教训是我吃到苦头才学到的. 请网友注意, "to learn the hard way"在这里并不是指你必须要吃苦头才能学到经验或教训, 它真正的意思是你可以用easy way去处理或学习, 但是你却用错方法, 也就是说你用了hard way. 孔子说: "生而知之者上也, 学而知之者次也; 困而学之, 又其次也"就是这个道理.

06. The lack of a catalog notwithstanding, it was a very interesting exhibit.
解说: 尽管缺乏目录, 这仍然是个有趣的展览. 这题主要是考验网友对使用介词notwithstanding的熟悉度.

07. Like the global economic meltdown that was the result of the unfettered credit orgy, the bill for risky behavior always comes due.
解说: 就像世界经济崩盘也就是没有节制地随意贷款所造成的结果, 高风险行为所造成的账单总有一天会到期(comes due).

08. There's nothing to be ashamed of in trying to communicate in a second language and not being an expert.
解说: 没有必要对自己虽不是个专家但尝试以第二语言交谈而感到惭愧或不好意思.

09. Why haven't I put an end to these unwelcome intrusions earlier?
解说: 为什么我没有早一点制止(put an end to)这些令人讨厌的无礼打扰?

10. What would happen if you had two half-baked ideas at the same time?
解说: 假如你同时有两个思考不周全的想法(half-baked ideas)将会如何呢?

11. If I had a dollar for every mistake I have made, I'd be within shouting distance of a comfortable retirement.
解说: 我如果每犯一次错就可以赚一块钱的话, 我将会很接近(within shouting distance)安逸的退休生活.

12. You should be proud of yourself for trying to help someone out.
解说: 你应该为自己尝试助人脱困(to help someone out)而自傲.

13. I am a safe driver thanks to skills that I have honed over the past 14 years.
解说: 由于我过去十四年(over the past 14 years)的磨练, 我是个安全驾驶人.

14. There are more concrete examples out there, but this is something off the top of my head.
解说: 那边还有更多的具体例子, 但这个是我眼前能想到的(off the top of my head).

15. As we all know, a "warning" without consequences, is a toothless warning.
解说: 我们都知道, 一个没有后果的警告是一个没有效力的警告(a toothless warning).

16. The scheme enables volunteers to work within their community to raise awareness of the dangers of speeding.
解说: 这个设计能够使义工在他们的社区内提高超速驾驶危险的警觉(to raise awareness of the dangers of speeding).

17. At one time or the other, we've all been guilty of it; staying glued to the couch and the TV when there's work to do.
解说: 我们都曾经有过(At one time or the other)如此做错事的时候; (也就是)在该去工作时候, 我们却黏在长沙发椅上, 盯着电视不放. "to staying glued to"就是紧坐着, 专注不放; "黏在长沙发椅上"是比较直接, 传神的翻译.

18. If you set your goals too low, you'll have too much time on your hands and feel empty when you achieve your goals.
解说: 假如你把自己的目标设的太低, 你就会当你(很快)完成目标后有太多空闲以及虚空感. 这题我主要考验网友是否熟悉"on one's hand"这个短语.

19. Let's not forget that only a tiny proportion of road accidents are actually attributed to excessive speed, despite what the pro-speed camera lobby would have you believe.
解说: 虽然拥护超速照相机搜证的游说团体希望我们相信(would have you believe)(有关超速驾驶所造成的灾难), 我们别忘记, 只有微小部分的路上车祸实际上是由于超速驾驶所造成的.

20. A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.
一个民主只不过(nothing more than)是个暴民统治, 在这情形下, 百分之五十一的民众将会把其他百分之四十九的权益剥夺(to take away). 请网友注意, where在此是作"在这情形下" (in a situation in which)解释.

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 16 访客