royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 907

帖子 royl » 周一 8月 03, 2020 5:44 am

二十笔实用成语 907

01. put someone on notice, to
定义: 正式警告某人有关将要发生之事.
例句: My wife put me on notice and said my behavior is not acceptable. (我妻子正式警告我, 她说我的行为是无法令人接受的)

02. put someone on something, to
定义: 要某人做某事或使用某物. (注: 这个解释比较空洞, 需要举例让你更清楚: 1. 医生开药给某人, The doctor put someone on medication; 2. 要某人在电话线上等待, Put someone on hold)
例句: My mother put me on a liquid protein diet when I was 10 years old because I was a little chubby. (我十岁的时候, 因为我有点肥胖我母亲让我吃液体蛋白质饮食)

03. put someone on the spot, to
定义: 令某人尴尬, 难堪.
例句: She always tries to put me on the spot with requests, knowing that I'm less likely to turn her down in front of my friends. (她总是在我和朋友在一起的时候提出要求让我难做人因为她清楚我在这个场合比较不好意思拒绝她)

04. put someone on their mettle, to
定义: 测试某人临难时所表现出的韧性, 能力与意志.
例句: Being promoted to general manager at such a young age is certainly going to put her on her mettle. (在这个年轻当儿被晋升至总经理, 肯定会测试她于临难时所表现出的韧性, 能力与意志)

05. put someone on to something, to
定义: 给予某人有关某事的消息, 告诉某人所不知道的事情.
例句: It was her uncle Darren who put her on to Elvis. (是她的舅舅达伦把有关埃尔维斯和他的歌曲告诉她. 注: 意指她舅舅把曾红极一时但已于1977年过逝的猫王埃尔维斯•普雷斯理的歌曲介绍给她)
图片
猫王埃尔维斯•普雷斯理

06. put someone on, to
定义: 戏弄, 取笑或误导别人.
例句: "I hear Joe's quit his job." "You're putting me on!" ("我听人说乔伊辞职了." "你在跟我扯淡!")

07. put someone out of a job; put someone out of work, to
定义: 令某人失业. (注: 常用于新的技术出现会使某些旧工业倒闭, 同时也使从事该行业工作人员失去工作)
例句: The new technology could put us out of work. (这个新科技有可能令我们失业)

08. put someone/something out of the way, to
定义: 将某人或某物移开免得挡路或碍事; 将某人关起来; 杀掉某人.
例句: Will you please put all your toys out of the way, Jimmy? (吉米能不能请你把你的玩具都挪开?)

09. put someone out of their misery, to
定义: 结束某人或动物的痛苦(常指以安乐死结束痛苦生命); 解决某人心中的疑虑, 疑惑.
例句: Considering the dog's extensive wounds, the vet encouraged us to put him out of his misery. (顾及到这只狗的累累伤痕, 兽医建议我们给它注射安乐死来解除它所遭受的痛苦)

10. put out of your mind, to
定义: 试图忘却某人或某事.
例句: You need to put that idea right out of your mind – it will only bring us trouble. (你那个主意最好想都不要想 – 它只会给我们带来麻烦)

11. put someone out, to
定义: 麻烦某人, 烦扰某人.
例句: I'd like to have a ride home, but not if it puts you out. (我想要搭你的便车回家, 但如果太麻烦你就算了)

12. put someone over your knee, to
定义: 惩罚小孩, 打屁股.
例句: If you don't stop that shouting this instant I am going to come in there and put you over my knee! (如果你不马上停止你的大喊尖叫, 我就会过去, 打你的屁股!)

13. put someone through someone's paces, to
定义: 对某人彻底地测试, 测试某人的全面能力或功能.
例句: We put the new programmer though her paces, and she passed with flying colors. (我们全面测试了这名程式设计员的能力, 她以优秀的成绩通过考试)

14. put someone through the hoop/wringer, to
定义: 折磨某人, 让某人经历痛苦或磨难; 严厉处分某人.
例句: I don't think Jake is a great fit for the military. His superiors are constantly putting him through the hoop for his disobedience. (我不认为杰克很适于参军. 由于他的抗命行为, 他的上级长官时常给予他严厉处分)

15. put someone through the mill, to
定义: 测试某人的耐力或意志, 给某人磨难与挑战.
例句: On the first day, the workers will put you through the mill. They want to see how tough you are. (在你上班的第一天, 这些工人会测试你的耐力和意志. 他们想看看你有多坚韧)

16. put someone through, to
定义: 接通某人打给另一人的电话; 令某人受尽折磨; 栽培某人, 付钱令某人就读学校或大学.
例句: Put me through to the manager, please. (让我跟经理说话, 拜托)

17. put someone to shame, to
定义: 击败, 超越某人; 让某人羞愧, 相形见拙或尴尬.
例句: I thought I was a pretty good tennis player, but you put me to shame! (我以为我还算是个非常优秀的网球手, 但你令我相形见拙, 简直不能比!)

18. put someone up to, to
定义: 挑动, 鼓动某人.
例句: He was always putting his younger brother up to playing pranks on other people. (他总是鼓动他弟弟去戏弄别人)

19. put/set someone wise, to
定义: 告知某人某件事情始末或真相, 秘密或不为人知之秘辛.
例句: Everyone thought that Jen had dumped me, but I was quick to put them wise! (每个人总认为是珍把我给甩掉了, 但我很快地让他们知晓这件事的真相!)

20. put someone/something back on track, to
定义: 提醒某人不要离题, 持续正确路线, 循正轨发展.
例句: I'm sure all of you have very interesting weekend plans, but we need to get this meeting back on track. (我确信你们大家都已规划好了非常有趣的周末行程计划, 但我们还是须要回归这次会议的正题. 注: 意指尽管大家都很热衷于谈论他们这个周末计划, 但会议还是要严肃地开下去)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 48 访客