royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 910

帖子 royl » 周日 8月 16, 2020 9:39 pm

二十笔实用成语 910

01. put the skids under, to
定义: 造成衰败, 失败.
例句: Her frequent absences from work put the skids under any hopes she had of a promotion. (她的经常旷职令她任何升迁的希望都渺茫)

02. put the squeeze on, to
定义: 向某人施压; 向某人勒索钱财; 给某人制造问题或挑战.
例句: The mob put the squeeze on all the merchants, threatening to break their windows if they didn't pay. (这些黑帮份子勒索所有商家的钱财, 威胁他们如果不给钱的话就砸破他们的窗户)

03. put the wind up someone, to
定义: 令人担忧, 害怕.
例句: If they keep putting pressure on you, we'll threaten them with legal action; that should put the wind up them! (如果他们不停地对你施压, 我们就会用法律行动来威胁他们; 那准会叫他们吓破胆!)

04. put the wood in the hole, to
定义: 关门.
例句: Can someone please put the wood in the hole. It's flipping freezing! (有人能关上门吗. 真是冷得要命!)

05. put the word out, to
定义: 放话出去, 把话或消息传出去, 广为宣传.
例句: Can you put the word out that the meeting has been canceled. (你能不能放话出去就说这场会议被取消了)

06. put theory to the test, to
定义: 实际地测试某理论的是否能成功.
例句: To put theory to the test, you practice it and with that experience comes knowledge. All together, it is a never ending loop of growth and evolution. (将理论付诸行动, 你实践了它, 取得经验之后知识便来了. 整体一起运作, 它就成为了一个永不停止的成长和进化循环)

07. put something in(to) perspective, to
定义: 正确地看待某事; 以正确角度看事情的严重性, 重要性, 或实质影响力.
例句: You don't think it's that big a deal? Well, let me put it into perspective for you: each of us will get 10 years in prison if we're caught. (你不认为这是件事严重吗?好吧, 让我来帮助你正确地看待此事的严重性: 如果你我被逮捕的话, 我们每个人都会被判10年监禁)

08. put through (to), to
定义: 接通(电话); 令某人历经痛苦或困难; 导致成功结局.
例句: The doctor said he hated to put me through all these tests, but that it was medically necessary. (这位医生说他很不愿意让我遭受到所有这些健康检查的折磨, 但它们在疗程上是必要的)

09. put to bed, to
定义: 帮助小孩或病人上床入眠; 做最后印刷准备工作; 做最后的准备工作直到付梓; 停止继续讨论, 争论, 或把精力花在某事, 到此为止.
例句: OK, I think we have to agree to disagree. Let's just put the issue to bed. (好吧, 我认为我们只好同意保留各自的意见. 我们就停止这个议题的争论吧)

10. put to death, to
定义: 处死.
例句: So if they are put to death then they will not be able to re-offend and be a threat to society any longer. (所以如果他们被处死的话, 他们将无法再度触犯法律也不再成为社会安全的威胁)

11. put to good purpose, be
定义: 物尽其用, 有效使用, 善加利用.
例句: The donation to the homeless shelter will be put to good purpose. (这笔对街友收容所的捐款将会被有效使用)

12. put to it, be
定义: 受到压力, 经历困难.
例句: I need a vacation. I'm really put to it lately. (我需要休假. 最近我的确经历了重重困难和压力)

13. put to rest, to
定义: 解决, 完成, 证明某事是错的, 不需再辩论.
例句: It's time we put to rest our quarrel over Dad's will. (是时候我们该停止对父亲遗嘱的争论)

14. put/set to rights, to
定义: 纠正, 整顿, 恢复常态.
例句: That new assistant is completely useless. Now I'm going to have to spend the entire weekend putting this contract to rights! (那名新来的助手完全没什么用处. 我将不得不要花费整个周末来修正这份契约里的条文!)

15. put to sea, to
定义: 出海, 启航, 离港, 离岸.
例句: We are scheduled to put to sea tomorrow evening at 9pm, or 21:00 as they say on the ship. (我们明天晚上九点启航或者就像他们船上工作的人所说的二十一点出海)

16. put to shame, to
定义: 赢过, 超越, 让某人羞愧, 相形见拙或尴尬.
例句: I put him to shame by telling everyone about his bad behavior. (我告诉大家有关他的恶劣行为令他羞愧)

17. put to sleep, be
定义: 导致某人睡觉; 无聊到极点都想睡觉; 令某人失去知觉; 安乐死(因不愿意重病或重伤患者太痛苦而结束其生命).
例句: My medication always puts me to sleep, so I can't take it before driving. (我这服药剂总是让我昏昏睡觉, 因此我在开车之前不能服用)

18. put to the sword, be
定义: 被杀戮或被执行死刑.
例句: These bandits will be shown no mercy – we shall put them to the sword before sunrise. (对这些强盗决不能留情 – 我们将在日出前处决他们)

19. put to the test, be
定义: 实际地测试某人能力或某物性能.
例句: The second part of the contest will put your general knowledge to the test. (这个竞赛的第二部分乃是测试你对一般常识的广泛认知程度)

20. put to (good) use, to
定义: 加以使用; 善加利用.
例句: Thank you so much for the money you gave us. We will certainly put it to good use! (感谢你赠予我们的这笔钱. 我们一定会将它善加利用!)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 51 访客