royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 959

帖子 royl » 周三 4月 21, 2021 5:56 am

二十笔实用成语 959

01. seize the opportunity, to
定义: 紧抓机会.
例句: During the riots, hundreds of people seized the opportunity to steal property. (在骚乱期间, 数百人趁机偷取财物)

02. seize up, to
定义: 停下来, 齿轮卡住, 机器咬住.
例句: He was driving down the road, the brakes suddenly seized up on their own. (他在路上开着车子, 突然煞车自行咬住便停下来)

03. select vs. selected
定义: [易混淆字或片语]select(形容词)具有优异的, 极好的意义; selected(形容词)具有比普通较好的, 较优异的意义.

04. self-fulfilling prophecy, a
定义: 愿想成真的预言. (注: 与其说它是个预言还不如说它是个愿望, 也就是说为了达成自己的愿望, 某人以自己行动去影响其结果的预言)
例句: Things may be tough and seem impossible, but I'm sure that blaming others is only going to be contributing to your problem and making it a self-fulfilling prophecy. (情况也许艰难甚至似乎无法完成, 但我确信责怪他人只会促成了你的问题并使此事成为一个愿想成真预言)

05. self-made man, a
定义: 白手起家的成功者或企业家.
例句: Ming is a self-made man who worked long, hard hours to turn his small business into a large, successful company. (明是个白手起家的企业家, 他起早赶晚地辛勤工作, 把他的小生意转变成一间大型成功企业)

06. self-service station, a
定义: 自助加油站. (注: 意指客人自己加油或检查汽车安全的加油站)
例句: New self-service station services include: Renew a standard or enhanced driver's license or state ID if no new photo is required; (新增的自助加油站服务包括: 更新标准驾照或增强型驾照或州身分证如果不需最新照片的话. 注: 美国某些州政府在加油站内设置服务台提供更新驾照或身分证的服务)
图片
自助加油站

07. sell a bill of goods, to
定义: 诈欺, 诈财.
例句: He said he would sell my bike and bring me back the profits, but he sold me a bill of goods and I never heard from him again! (他说他要把我的摩托车卖掉再把卖车的收益还给我, 他不但讹诈了我的车子而且消失无踪不再跟我联络!)

08. sell a pup, to
定义: 用诈欺法以高价卖出无用的废物.
例句: I'm sorry, but that's definitely not an authentic Louis Vuitton bag. You've been sold a pup, my friend. (抱歉, 但那肯定不是一件货真价实的路易威登手提包. 我的朋友, 你被人骗了买了假货)

09. sell down the river, to
定义: 出卖, 背弃, 背叛.
例句: They kept the merger a secret until the last minute, so the employees who were laid off felt they'd been sold down the river. (他们把公司的合并消息严格保密, 因此被解雇的员工感觉他们被自己的雇主出卖了)

10. sell for ..., to
定义: 以...价钱卖出.
例句: This computer normally sells for nearly $2,000, but it's on sale for just $1,000 this week. (这台电脑平常要卖两千块钱, 但这个星期的特价只要一千块钱就可买到)

11. sell like hotcakes, to
定义: 热卖, 畅销, 一售而空, 销售成功.
例句: This book has been selling like hotcakes – I can't keep it in stock! (这本书一直在畅销热卖 – 我没法一直保持这本书的存货!)

12. sell off, to
定义: (降价)抛售; 暴跌狂售.
例句: She was forced to sell off all her antique jewelry to pay for her husband's debts after he passed away. (她先生过世之后, 她被迫抛售她所有的古董首饰来偿还他的债务)

13. sell on, to
定义: 兜售产品; 令某人对某事或物产生兴趣; 力图使某人接受某个主意或意见.
例句: I wasn't sold on the idea of​​ eating at a seafood restaurant on our last night in the city, but Pier 21 quickly changed my mind! (我原不赞成在这个城市逗留的最后一晚去海鲜餐厅吃饭的主意, 但二十一号码头这家餐馆令我改变了想法!)

14. sell one's birthright for a mess of pottage, to
定义: 因小失大. 为了一点微利损失更大的利益.
例句: We are often selling our birthright for a mess of pottage. Isn't that what happens when a young person quits school in favor of a minimum-wage job! (我们经常会因小失大. 当一个年轻人为了一个最低工资的工作而辍学不就是这样地发生吗!)

15. sell one's body, to
定义: 卖身, 卖春, 色情交易.
例句: This 17 year old girl has been selling her body to older men. (这名十七岁女孩一直卖身给老男人们来赚钱)

16. sell one's soul (to the devil), to
定义: 出卖灵魂予魔鬼, 自甘堕落; 背叛自己良心, 信仰.
例句: I'm afraid we've sold our soul to the devil by agreeing to this partnership. It will keep us in business, but at what cost to our clients? (同意了这个合伙关系, 我恐怕我们背叛了自己良心. 它可以让我们生意继续做下去, 但对我们的客户来说, 我们要付出多少代价?)

17. sell oneself short, to
定义: 过份谦虚, 小看或低估自己, 未能认清或展现自己的能力或重要性.
例句: You're selling yourself short, dude. You've got a lot of talents that you're not giving yourself credit for! (你也过份谦虚了, 老弟. 你有许多才能你都不给予正面肯定! )

18. sell oneself, to
定义: 毛遂自荐; 推荐自己的才能; 出卖原则或灵魂.
例句: Remember that your profile on these dating website is meant to sell yourself, so really highlight the things you like best about you! (要记住你在这些异性交友网站的私人资料是用来推荐你自己, 所以你要认真地突显出那些你最喜欢的事情!)

19. sell out, to
定义: 卖出货物去偿还债务; 卖出股票或证券去偿还保证金; 卖光或售罄某种货品; 卖掉自己的公司, 生意; 出卖自己的同志或志业.
例句: Amazon has sold out of most disinfectant wipes and paper towels. Purchasing from third-party sellers is still possible, but it will cost you dearly. (亚马逊卖光了大部分的消毒湿巾和纸巾. 跟第三方卖家购买还是可能的, 但你要花大钱才行)

20. sell short, to
定义: 股市的卖空; 低估(某人或某事或物的价值).
例句: I know you don't like their pitcher, but you shouldn't sell him short. He's actually got some of the best stats in the league. (我知道你不喜欢他们的投手这个人, 但是你不应该低估他. 他其实是个拥有这个棒球联盟最佳记录之一的球员)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 15 访客