请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 8

帖子 royl » 周一 6月 28, 2010 7:25 am

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 8

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. I don't know what to say, ________ I be misunderstood.
02. It is a ________ point now whether you like the bathroom paint color.
03. Now that we've got this ________ up, please stop trolling my discussion thread.
04. Reality will ________ in when you see what kind of coverage the insurance companies are going to give you.
05. No matter what people have said to you in the past, and no matter how you feel ________ yourself right now, always know that you are a unique person.
06. Take small steps ________ your goals instead of trying to take giant leaps forward.
07. I'm trying to express different emotions through pictures; I just don't know how that's working out ________ me.
08. This does not include people who will simply bail you ________ and not hold you accountable for your actions.
09. To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step ________ knowledge.
10. The subtlety and art of good copy writing is, I have to ________, something which I am quite in awe of.
11. In doing ________, you were daring to be different and to stand out from the crowd.
12. You look ________. What's on your mind?
13. The idea is so dumb that it boggles my mind how anyone could ________ consider it.
14. If I were you, I would get them removed sooner rather than later just for your ________ of mind and to get it over with.
15. It's not only that the story was unoriginal but it was half-baked with glaring loopholes that even a rookie writer ________ point out.
16. But somehow ________ other all this progress didn't bring us a whole lot of contentment.
17. Throughout the plot, Ash makes countless, desperate efforts to be someone he is not, but these endeavors only lead to more problems and more conflict ________ him and his family.
18. We too should break the ________ of funding that has produced the same disappointing results year after year.
19. How is that ________ after the all of the damage that has been inflicted upon our net worth?
20. Will men vote for Sarah Palin only ________ she is hot?

(about, admit, because, between, bothered, cleared, could, even, for, lest, mode, moot, or, out, peace, possible, set, so, to, toward)

royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 8

帖子 royl » 周二 6月 29, 2010 4:12 am

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找出美国人经常使用的成语, 短语, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. I don't know what to say, lest I be misunderstood.
解说: 我不知道该说什么, 我怕(lest = for fear that)被别人误解.

02. It is a moot point now whether you like the bathroom paint color.
解说: 无论你喜欢把浴室漆成什么颜色, 这是一个不值得讨论的问题. (注: a moot point: 争议性的问题; 不相关的问题或不值得讨论的问题)

03. Now that we've got this cleared up, please stop trolling my discussion thread.
解说: 好了, 我们把这个误会澄清了(cleared up), 请你停止扰乱网路论坛正常讨论. (注: trolling这种网路扰乱技巧包括拉帮结派, 发出噪音, 制造强烈情绪反应, 假装关心对主流论点质疑).

04. Reality will set in when you see what kind of coverage the insurance companies are going to give you.
解说: 残酷的现实(感)将会生根发酵(set in = to become established)当你发现这些保险公司将要给你什么样的承保范围.
编者按: 意指当你看到保险公司对他们理赔的解释(也就是或许你的损失不在他们承保范围之内)你会了解什么是残酷现实.

05. No matter what people have said to you in the past, and no matter how you feel about yourself right now, always know that you are a unique person.
解说: 不管过去别人对你怎么说, 不管现在你对你自己有何感觉, 你当永远知道你是一个独特的人.

06. Take small steps toward your goals instead of trying to take giant leaps forward.
解说: 你应该以小步伐迈向你的目标, 而不是试图大跃进.

07. I'm trying to express different emotions through pictures; I just don't know how that's working out for me.
解说: 我试图以图画来表达不同的情绪; 我只是不知道这对我是否有效或合适. (to work out = to prove effective, practicable, or suitable)

08. This does not include people who will simply bail you out and not hold you accountable for your actions.
解说: 这并不包括那些只保释你(to bail you out)却不要你为你行为负责(to hold you accountable)的人们.
编者按: 意指要重视诤友的重要性. 当你犯罪后, 有些人只保释你而不追究你的罪行, 也不要求你对你自己的罪行反省; 所以你从不深思自己的罪行而一再犯错.

09. To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.
解说: 明确了解自己学识贫乏是追求知识的一大步.

10. The subtlety and art of good copy writing is, I have to admit, something which I am quite in awe of.
解说: 一个优秀的广告写作(copy writing = text especially of an advertisement)的微妙性与艺术, 我必须承认, 是我所惊叹的.
编者按: 这里的which I am quite in awe of是一个修饰something的形容词子句/从句; something which I am quite in awe of, 是一个有用的句型, 你也可以写成something of which I am quite in awe. 我曾见过两派的意见, 有一派认为something of which I am quite in awe是正确的使用语法; 另一派认为不需要费心注意小节, 所以something which I am quite in awe of是正确的使用语法.

11. In doing so, you were daring to be different and to stand out from the crowd.
解说: 如此做, 你敢于与众不同与鹤立鸡群(stand out from the crowd).

12. You look bothered. What's on your mind?
解说: 你看起来焦虑不安(to look bothered). 你在想什么?

13. The idea is so dumb that it boggles my mind how anyone could even consider it.
解说: 这个想法笨得离谱, 实在令我惊讶(to boggle my mind)为什么有人还会考虑它(could even consider it).

14. If I were you, I would get them removed sooner rather than later just for your peace of mind and to get it over with.
解说: 如果我是你, 为了早点做好图个心平气和(peace of mind), 我会尽早(sooner rather than later)把它们除去.

15. It's not only that the story was unoriginal but it was half-baked with glaring loopholes that even a rookie writer could point out.
解说: 不只是因为这个故事毫无创作性, 而且它思考不周详(it was half-baked)并显示出连一个新手作家(rookie writer)都能指出(could point out)的刺眼漏洞(glaring loopholes) .

16. But somehow or other all this progress didn't bring us a whole lot of contentment.
解说: 不知什么原因(somehow or other), 所有的进步并没带来许多的满足.
编者按: 意指现代科技带给人类许多方便, 可是并没看见人类知足常乐.

17. Throughout the plot, Ash makes countless, desperate efforts to be someone he is not, but these endeavors only lead to more problems and more conflict between him and his family.
解说: 遍及整个剧情, 爱许使出无数不顾一切的努力想扮演成另一个人, 但这些努力只导致更多的问题以及他与家庭的冲突.
编者按: 这里的to be someone you are not, 也就是扮演成另一个人, 也可以解释成, 为得取得别人的认同或喜爱你伪装成(矫揉造作)某一个与你性格不一样的人.

18. We too should break the mode of funding that has produced the same disappointing results year after year.
解说: 我们也应该打破以往(陈旧的)融资模式, 因为这个融资模式造成同样地年复一年的令人失望的结果.

19. How is that possible after the all of the damage that has been inflicted upon our net worth?
解说: 历经加诸在你净值所有的损害之后这怎么可能呢?

20. Will men vote for Sarah Palin only because she is hot?
解说: 男人投票给莎拉佩林只因为(only because)她是个惹火女人吗?

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 302 访客