回复
royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 1024

帖子 royl » 周四 11月 04, 2021 6:02 am

二十笔实用成语 1024

01. sticking point, a
定义: 症结, 胶着点. (注: 意指争议性问题使交涉双方进入胶着状态, 无法达成和解)
例句: Talks with the employee broke down, and money was assumed to be the sticking point. (与员工的谈判破裂, 钱被认为是症结之所在)

02. stick in the mud, a
定义: 墨守成规者, 老学究, 老古板.
例句: Just because I don't like roller coasters doesn't mean I'm a stick in a mud. I like lots of other fun things! (就因为我不喜欢过山车并不代表我是个老古板. 我还喜欢许多其他好玩的东西!)

03. sticks and stones
定义: 暴力; 石头和棍子. (注: sticks and stones只是一个句子的缩写: 暴力可以伤害我, 但言语却伤害不了我)
例句: "There are some pretty unflattering rumors circulating about you now." "Oh, who cares? Sticks and stones, and all that." ("现在有些非常令你难堪的谣言正在四处流传." "哦, 我才不在乎? 暴力可以伤害我, 但流言蜚语之类的言语却伤害不了我.")

04. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
定义: [谚语]暴力可以伤害我, 但言语却伤害不了我. (注: 意指面对别人伤人或恶毒的话语则不必与之计较)
例句: I've never been affected by people's criticism – sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. (我从来不在意别人对我的批评 – 暴力可以伤害我, 但言语却伤害不了我)

05. sticky fingers
定义: 有偷窃的习惯; 手脚不干净.
例句: I think the new cashier we hired has sticky fingers, because money has begun disappearing from the till on the days that he's working. (我觉得我们新来的收银员手脚不干净, 因为在他工作的那些天里, 钱便开始从收银台消失了)

06. sticky situation, a
定义: 尴尬, 窘困, 难办, 棘手的情况.
例句: I'll be in quite a sticky situation if I arrive at the train station and don't have enough money for the tickets! (如果我到达了火车站却没有足够的钱买票那我就尴尬了!)

07. sticky wicket, a
定义: [英国]尴尬, 窘困, 难办, 棘手的情况.
例句: I found myself on a bit of a sticky wicket when the boss saw me kissing his daughter at the cinema. (我发现我很糗因为我在电影院里亲吻老板的女儿被他看到了)

08. stiff as a board/poker, be (as)
定义: 没弹性的, 腰杆笔直, 僵硬, 不屈的.
例句: The whole class sat in their chairs as stiff as boards during the principal's lecture. (校长训话的时候, 全班学生都腰杆笔直地坐在椅子上)

09. stiff as a ramrod, be (as)
定义: 挺胸直背的站着或坐着.
例句: He stood as stiff as a ramrod after his name was called, too nervous to move. (被叫到名字后, 他挺胸直背地站着, 紧张得都不敢动)

10. stiff the waiter on the tip, to
定义: 不给服务员小费. (注: 意指客人因为吝啬或不满服务员的服务而不留下小费)
例句: If you feel you had bad service, do not stiff the waiter or waitress on the tip. What you can do is to tell the manager that you had bad service. (如果你觉得你得到的服务很糟糕的话, 千万别不给服务员小费. 你可以做的就是告诉这家餐馆经理你受到很差的服务)
图片
顾客由于此女服务员是同性恋者不给小费

11. still and all
定义: 尽管如此, 然而, 无论如何.
例句: I know you're trying to reassure me, but still and all, I'm uncomfortable with the idea. (我知道你在努力消除我的疑虑, 但尽管如此, 我对这个想法还是不放心)

12. still in the game, be
定义: 仍在竞赛中, 尚未出局. (注: 意指某人在竞争中虽不顺利但并没失败而且有可能后来居上, 不可掉以轻心)
例句: Our competitors may have carved away a lot of our market, but we're still in the game! (我们的竞争对手可能已经瓜分了我们很多的市场, 但我们还没出局, 这场竞赛还没完呐!)

13. Still never responsible for your own actions I bet.
[成语句型]我相信你还是不会对自己的行为负责任的.

14. still small voice, a
定义: 良心的轻声提醒.
例句: I'd love to go but a still small voice tells me I really have to stay home and work. (我很想去但是我的良心提醒了我, 我真的必须待在家里工作)

15. still waters run deep.
定义: [谚语]静水深流; 智者寡言; 深藏不露的人不多言.
例句: No, Sarah is actually one of the smartest people in the company. She may not talk or socialize much, but still waters run deep. (不, 莎拉其实是公司里最聪明的人之一. 她虽然不怎么说话或跟人打交道, 但深藏不露的人不多话)

16. sting operation, a
定义: 卧底行动. (注: 意指警方派卧底警员设圈套或陷阱诱捕罪犯的行动)
例句: ICE set up a fake university. Hundreds enrolled, not realizing it was a sting operation. (美国移民和海关执法局设立了一所假大学. 数百人注了册, 但并不知道这是一个卧底行动所设计的圈套. 注: 本句的ICE乃是Immigration and Customs Enforcement也就是移民和海关执法局的缩写)

17. stink out, to
定义: 产生恶臭, 充满恶臭; 以臭气将...熏出或赶出某处; 表现差劲.
例句: Please don't stink out my car with your nasty cigarettes! (请不要用你的恶心香烟把我的车子弄得乌烟瘴气!)

18. stink up, to
定义: 弄臭, 产生恶臭, 充满恶臭; 表现差劲.
例句: I've never seen them play so poorly. They're really stinking the place up tonight. (我从没见过他们打得这么糟糕. 他们今晚在这个赛场上表现得很烂)

19. stir one's stumps, to
定义: [俚语]快走, 动作快; 走走路, 活动筋骨.
例句: You stir your stumps and get ready for school, my good girl! (妳的动作要快一点, 准备上学了, 我的乖闺女!)

20. stir the pot, to
定义: 制造事端, 故意挑衅, 煽动骚乱, 煽风点火.
例句: "Why must you always stir the pot and bring up politics at family gatherings?" "Because it's fun to watch everyone get all riled up!" ("为什么你总是在家庭聚会的场合上挑动事端, 提出政治话题?" "因为看着大家都兴奋得激动莫名样子很有趣!")

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 59 访客