请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 11

帖子 royl » 周日 7月 04, 2010 2:50 am

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 11

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. Things have changed around here, John! Wake up and ________ the coffee!
02. What are you talking ________? I don't know why you people have your knickers in a bunch.
03. The price, as indicated in the advertisement above, was $49.50 but slightly higher ________ of Rockies.
04. May I be honest with you? This question can strike ________ into the heart of the enemy.
05. If someone like me stands up to tell kids about molecules and atoms, it won't be long before they ________ asleep.
06. But we'll see about that. I won't ________ my breath, though.
07. The theme of this movie is that even a person with the best ________ can let power blind them to what is really going around them.
08. What should you do when people say you ________ funny? It's pretty sad that people can judge or make cruel comments on things like a voice.
09. It's not that fate has it in for me in particular, but rather that everybody's turn comes ________ or later.
10. Personally, I wouldn't listen to music ________ work, as much as I love music.
11. Jay: You know you're a loon? Martha: What ________ me away? Jay: Everything you've said up to now.
12. Also make sure to keep ________ on the stock movements as that will help you curb your losses.
13. They have the ability to hold the interest of those ________ whom they seek to communicate, whether those people necessarily agree with what they're hearing or not.
14. In their exuberance to point out their discoveries, it may seem as if they are disparaging someone. Not at all, and they mean no ________.
15. If you have nothing good to say then don't say anything at all - take that to ________! Cursing is also inappropriate.
16. On their part, the opposition parties appeared keen ________ keeping up the momentum of their new-found sense of unity, even if confined only to the parliamentary arena.
17. So what do we do about it? I guess we try to ________ the message out.
18. To give yourself the edge, ________ the time to arm yourself with knowledge of the industry, company and position for which you are applying.
19. Every object that is behind the scenes has a story to ________—stories about its creation, its relevance, and how it came to be at The Mariners' Museum.
20. It's simply that the ever-oppressive "They," the political or religious power that ________, are not quite the behemoths that they used to be.

(about, at, be, fall, gave, get, heart, hold, intention, offense, on, smell, sooner, tab, take, talk, tell, terror, west, with)

royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 11

帖子 royl » 周日 7月 04, 2010 10:56 pm

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找美国人经常使用的成语, 短语, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. Things have changed around here, John! Wake up and smell the coffee!
解说: 这里的情势已经改变了(Things have changed around here), 约翰! 别迷迷糊糊啦! (to wake up and smell the coffee).
编者按: 这里的things就是情势. 重要成语, to wake up and smell the coffee, 是敦促某人应该注意周遭的事务, 去了解情况的真相.

02. What are you talking about? I don't know why you people have your knickers in a bunch.
解说: 我不知你在胡说些什么? (What are you talking about?) 我不知道为什么你们紧张兮兮的(to have your knickers in a bunch).

03. The price, as indicated in the advertisement above, was $49.50 but slightly higher west of Rockies.
解说: 这价格, 依照以上广告所指出, 是四十九块五毛, 但是对洛矶山以西的顾客(west of Rockies)来说, 我们还要多收一点钱.

04. May I be honest with you? This question can strike terror into the heart of the enemy.
解说: 我可以跟你说实话吗? 这个问题可以让敌人胆战心惊(to strike terror into the heart of the enemy).

05. If someone like me stands up to tell kids about molecules and atoms, it won't be long before they fall asleep.
解说: 假如有人像我一样地站出来告诉(to stand up to tell)小朋友有关分子跟原子的知识, 不用多久他们就会睡着(to fall asleep).

06. But we'll see about that. I won't hold my breath, though.
解说: 但是我们看着办吧(we'll see about that). 虽然我不会摒息以待(to hold my breath).

07. The theme of this movie is that even a person with the best intention can let power blind them to what is really going around them.
解说: 这个电影主题是有关于即使一个拥有极端善意(with the best intention)的人也可以让权力把他变为令利智昏(what is really going around them).

08. What should you do when people say you talk funny? It's pretty sad that people can judge or make cruel comments on things like a voice.
解说: 当有人说你讲的奇怪腔调(to talk funny)你该如何? 非常悲哀, 居然人们可以对别人的声音论断或做出残酷的评论.

09. It's not that fate has it in for me in particular, but rather that everybody's turn comes sooner or later.
解说: 这并不是命运特别对(in particular)我所造成的问题(has it in for me), 而更确切地说(but rather)是每个人迟早会(sooner or later)轮到的.
编者按: 这里的短语, to have it in for…, 是伤害…或对…造成问题的意思.

10. Personally, I wouldn't listen to music at work, as much as I love music.
解说: 就个人而言(Personally), 我在上班时(at work)不听音乐, 虽然(as much as)我喜爱音乐.

11. Jay: You know you're a loon? Martha: What gave me away? Jay: Everything you've said up to now.
解说: 杰: 你是个疯子, 你知道吗? 玛莎: 你怎么知道(gave me away)我是疯子? 杰: 从你一开始到现在(up to now)所说的话语里听出来的.
编者按: 美国人很喜欢把不同意见者说成疯子, 好像"乱说话"就是脑筋不清楚或疯疯癫癫的. 所以这里的疯子不是指精神有问题的人, 而是指疯疯癫癫的人.

12. Also make sure to keep tab on the stock movements as that will help you curb your losses.
解说: 而且你要确实地密切注意(to keep tab on)股市的波动, 如此(as)才会帮你停止损失(to curb your losses).

13. They have the ability to hold the interest of those with whom they seek to communicate, whether those people necessarily agree with what they're hearing or not.
解说: 他们有能力维持与他们交谈者的趣味性(to hold the interest), 不论这些人是否同意(agree with)他们所听到的意见.
编者按: 这里的those with whom they seek to communicate是一个有用的句型, 你也可以写成those whom they seek to communicate with. 我曾见过两派的意见, 有一派认为those with whom they seek to communicate是正确的使用语法; 另一派认为不需要费心注意小节, 所以those whom they seek to communicate with是正确的使用语法.

14. In their exuberance to point out their discoveries, it may seem as if they are disparaging someone. Not at all, and they mean no offense.
解说: 在他们热情地(In their exuberance)指出(to point out)他们的发现, 可能好像他们在诋毁别人. 完全不是, 他们并无意冒犯别人(to mean no offense).

15. If you have nothing good to say then don't say anything at all - take that to heart! Cursing is also inappropriate.
解说: 假如你没什么好话可说, 你就别说话– 你要谨记在心(to take that to heart)! 骂脏话也是不恰当的.
编者按: If you have nothing good to say then don't say anything at all是一句常用谚语, 请网友背下来.

16. On their part, the opposition parties appeared keen on keeping up the momentum of their new-found sense of unity, even if confined only to the parliamentary arena.
解说: 就他们来说(On their part), 反对党派表现出很有兴趣于(be keen on)继续维持(to keep up the momentum)新发现凝聚力(sense of unity)的势头, 虽然这个凝聚力只局限在国会角力场上.
编者按: 这里的to keep up the momentum是继续维持某一个活动的势头或冲劲.

17. So what do we do about it? I guess we try to get the message out.
解说: 我们该怎么做呢? 我认为我们尽量把信息传播出去(to get the message out).

18. To give yourself the edge, take the time to arm yourself with knowledge of the industry, company and position for which you are applying.
解说: 给予你自己优势(give yourself the edge), 花点时间(to take the time to)把有关这个行业, 公司以及你所申请职位的知识武装自己.

19. Every object that is behind the scenes has a story to tell —stories about its creation, its relevance, and how it came to be at The Mariners' Museum.
解说: 在航海博物馆, 每个背的景物件都有一个可以说的故事(to have a story to tell), 这些故事有关它的创立, 它的实用性, 以及它如何产生的由来(how it came to be).

20. It's simply that the ever-oppressive "They," the political or religious power that be, are not quite the behemoths that they used to be.
解说: 只是总是压迫他人的"他们", 也就是政治或宗教的当权派(power that be), 已不如过去的(used to be)庞然巨物般的强大.

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 315 访客