请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 12

帖子 royl » 周一 7月 05, 2010 6:20 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 12

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. Act of God is a legal term for events outside of human ________, such as sudden floods or other natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible.
02. In order to prevent them from kicking the shield down, walk ________ the direction you want to go and plant it that way.
03. If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything, ________ for it!
04. With the political rhetoric and passions already ramped up and the election still seven months off, should her party ________ ahead on other controversial issues?
05. There are however, as you will discover, more disturbing reasons why the whole ________ about domestic violence has been hidden than gender bias or the need for more consciousness-raising.
06. The resolution we have adopted today is eloquent in its brevity, but even more ________ in its action.
07. Students who served in the Iraq War speak ________ about the emotional challenges of adjusting to life back at home and the importance of finding support.
08. A vast paranoia sweeps ________ the land, and America turns the attack on its Twin Towers into the beginning of the Third World War, the war with the Third World.
09. I'm not going to shut someone out just because of a couple issues I don't ________ with.
10. There is no need to convince us of the value of hard work. We already know that. You are just preaching to the ________.
11. It's not so much what you say, it's ________ you say it.
12. Since I'm not ________ a baker, when I'm catering a special event or just in need of a cupcake fix, I turn to my favorite bake shop, Crumbs.
13. Emotionally, I'm not so sure, yet one thing I'm ________ of, he has retained his innocence. I'm thinking of bringing him to a center to have him checked for giftedness.
14. The use of low-dose aspirin to ward ________ heart attacks and strokes in those yet to develop obvious cardiovascular disease, should be abandoned.
15. It might have been my imagination, but I could ________ the south-most windmill was spinning noticeably slower than the other two.
16. A scholarship is generally an amount paid or allowed to, or for the benefit of, a student at an educational institution to aid in the ________ of studies.
17. As a taxpayer, I feel obliged to take a ________ to make sure that the city of Seattle stops funding animal cruelty.
18. Janet is ________ for the job, because for that job, you have to have no life. Janet has no family. Perfect. She can devote, literally, 19, 20 hours a day to it.
19. Suddenly the boring, mild-mannered blogger you once knew will turn ________ Mother Theresa, and will single-handedly take it upon himself to end world hunger.
20. I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the ________ of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law.

(across, agree, choir, conscience, control, go, how, in, into, much, off, out, perfect, pursuit, push, so, stand, sure, swear, truth)

royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 12

帖子 royl » 周二 7月 06, 2010 9:52 pm

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找美国人经常使用的成语, 短语, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. Act of God is a legal term for events outside of human control, such as sudden floods or other natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible.
解说: 天灾(Act of God)是一个法律术语指的是人力不可控制的事件, 例如无人能承担责任的(be held responsible)突发水灾或其他天然灾害.
编者按: 这句话的意思是如果某一损害是由天灾所造成的话, 责任与赔偿不属于任何人.

02. In order to prevent them from kicking the shield down, walk in the direction you want to go and plant it that way.
解说: 为了(In order to)防止他们把盾牌踢下来, 你要走向你想要走的方向(in the direction), 把盾牌紧紧的放在那儿(to plant it that way).

03. If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything, go for it!
解说: 只要你全心投入(to put your mind to it)没有不能完成的事情. 放手去做吧! (go for it!)
编者按: 这是一句鼓励人的谚语, 网友可以背下来.

04. With the political rhetoric and passions already ramped up and the election still seven months off, should her party push ahead on other controversial issues?
解说: 随着政治语言与热情愈加激昂(to ramp up), 距离选举仍有七个月, 她的党派应该继续推动(to push ahead)争议性的议程吗?

05. There are however, as you will discover, more disturbing reasons why the whole truth about domestic violence has been hidden than gender bias or the need for more consciousness-raising.
解说: 然而, 正如你将发现(as you will discover), 比性别歧视还更多令人不安原因为什么有关家庭暴力的全面真相(the whole truth)一直被隐瞒或需要提高更多对家暴的警觉性.

06. The resolution we have adopted today is eloquent in its brevity, but even more so in its action.
解说: 我们已采纳了简明并具说服力的(eloquent in its brevity)决议案, 但是在行动上什至更加如此(even more so).

07. Students who served in the Iraq War speak out about the emotional challenges of adjusting to life back at home and the importance of finding support.
解说: 曾在伊拉克战争服役的学生直言不讳(to speak out)有关回家之后的生活适应方面(adjusting to life back at home)的情绪考验以及寻求支援的重要性.

08. A vast paranoia sweeps across the land, and America turns the attack on its Twin Towers into the beginning of the Third World War, the war with the Third World.
解说: 广大的偏执狂扫遍(to sweep across)大地, 美国把攻击自己双塔转变至第三世界大战, 并且跟第三世界作战.

09. I'm not going to shut someone out just because of a couple issues I don't agree with.
解说: 我不会因为一两个议题意见不同把某人封闭在外(to shut someone out).

10. There is no need to convince us of the value of hard work. We already know that. You are just preaching to the choir.
解说: 你没必要(There is no need to)说服我们有关努力工作的重要性. 我们已经知道其重要性. 你只是对有相同看法的人鼓吹理念(to preach to the choir).

11. It's not so much what you say, it's how you say it.
解说: 你说的话并不是问题本身(not so much), 而是你说话的态度.
编者按: 这里的not so much意思是没什么了不起或并不是什么问题.

12. Since I'm not much a baker, when I'm catering a special event or just in need of a cupcake fix, I turn to my favorite bake shop, Crumbs.
解说: 既然我不是什么(not much a …)糕点师傅, 当我供应食品给特别活动或需要吃(in need of)杯形蛋糕, 我求助于(turn to)我喜爱的糕饼店, 克朗姆(店名).

13. Emotionally, I'm not so sure, yet one thing I'm sure of, he has retained his innocence. I'm thinking of bringing him to a center to have him checked for giftedness.
解说: 情绪上来说, 我不确定, 但是我确定(be sure of)一件事, 他一直保持他的无辜. 我在考虑(I'm thinking of)带他去儿童中心检查他是否具有天赋.

14. The use of low-dose aspirin to ward off heart attacks and strokes in those yet to develop obvious cardiovascular disease, should be abandoned.
解说: 使用低药剂阿斯匹灵来防止(to ward off)尚为明显形成心血管疾病的心脏病突发和中风, 应该放弃.

15. It might have been my imagination, but I could swear the south-most windmill was spinning noticeably slower than the other two.
解说: 这也许是我的幻觉, 我可以发誓(I could swear)最南边的风车比其他两个风车明显地转动的慢.

16. A scholarship is generally an amount paid or allowed to, or for the benefit of, a student at an educational institution to aid in the pursuit of studies.
解说: 奖学金普通是一笔金钱付给或嘉惠给(for the benefit of)在教育机构的学生协助(他/她)求学(in the pursuit of studies).
编者按: 这里的in the pursuit of studies简而言之就是求学. 网友可以背下来.

17. As a taxpayer, I feel obliged to take a stand to make sure that the city of Seattle stops funding animal cruelty.
解说: 作为一个纳税人, 我觉得不得不(I feel obliged to)表明立场(to take a stand)确定西雅图市政府停止金援凌虐动物行为.

18. Janet is perfect for the job, because for that job, you have to have no life. Janet has no family. Perfect. She can devote, literally, 19, 20 hours a day to it.
解说: 珍纳特最适合(be perfect for)这个工作, 你必须没有属于自己的生活(to have no life). 珍纳特没有家庭. 太好了. 她可以真正地全力投入一天19, 20个小时在工作上.

19. Suddenly the boring, mild-mannered blogger you once knew will turn into Mother Theresa, and will single-handedly take it upon himself to end world hunger.
解说: 突然地, 这个你曾经认识的没生趣, 脾气温和的博客作家转变成(to turn into)跟特雷沙修女一样的人, 独力地毅然挑起(to take it upon himself)停止世界饥饿的工作.

20. I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law.
解说: 我主张一个违法犯罪(to break a law)的人, 他的良心告诉他这是不正当的, 所以愿意接受监禁的惩罚为的是激起社区对不公义的良心, 实际上, 是表达对法律最深的尊敬.

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 295 访客