请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 13

帖子 royl » 周三 7月 07, 2010 12:45 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 13

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. Phew! What a scorcher! The scorching summer heat _______ has prompted an outbreak of clichés.
02. In related news, women all over South Philadelphia let out a collective dreamy sigh heard all the way _______ the river in Camden, New Jersey.
03. Pizza fiends call his the best pies in America, and even when the mercury reaches 110 (degrees), folks still line _______ 40 minutes before opening. Why?
04. El Niño is responsible for this year's unusual weather patterns, but we expect this system to _______ away by the early part of summer.
05. I do not like anything like that to happen, I wouldn't mind to switch my Smartphone to protest such idiotic action if it were _______ happen.
06. If that _______, things should warm up considerably just about everywhere, bringing on one of the nation's hottest summers in a good while.
07. The Farmers' Almanac has predicted that thunderstorms will strike most regions over the Fourth of July holiday weekend, with the threat of tornadoes _______ the Plains states.
08. Summer is off to a sizzling _______, with two record-setting days for high temperatures this week and no break in sight for next week.
09. If working outside is unavoidable, take frequent breaks and stay hydrated by drinking plenty of _______ regularly, even if not thirsty.
10. I did an extra shift _______ work to earn the money for my next pair of shoes (got a bit of an obsession there…) and rode home from central London about 5pm.
11. The week started off with average temperatures but summer is back with a _______ across the state.
12. New South Wales will swelter _______ the next two days, with temperatures expected to peak at 39 degrees in Sydney's CBD on Saturday.
13. The health department has also issued a warning for poor air quality in Sydney today and revelers at the Big Day Out Festival at Homebush are being urged by authorities to be sensible _______ the heat.
14. Its lethal effects include _______ eyes, streaming nose, uncontrollable hiccups and much, much worse. And it is about to be sold at Tesco.
15. Both men have been _______ barbs, harsh remarks, and to an extent, taunting one another over the past few months; their quips and goading having been sufficiently reported in local media.
16. Might as _______ just use a dartboard - the only contest seems to be convincing the sheeple of Massachusetts "I'm more liberal than her" and "No, I'm more liberal than him".
17. Money may be _______ of evil, but regrettably we are stuck with it.
18. The markets were mixed as the UK's new coalition government took _______ yesterday, with shares and gilts rising on hopes of swift action on the yawning budget deficit, but sterling falling against the euro and the dollar after the Bank of England issued dovish growth and inflation forecasts.
19. However much that state of things may have altered during the last twenty-five years, the general principles laid down in the Manifesto are, on the _______, as correct today as ever.
20. It would be nice if they _______ more thoughts about elderly cats that have a hard time getting around.

(across, at, burning, fade, gave, happens, in, over, root, shape, start, through, to, trading, up, vengeance, water, wave, well, whole)

royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 13

帖子 royl » 周五 7月 09, 2010 1:42 am

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找美国人经常使用的成语, 短语, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. Phew! What a scorcher! The scorching summer heat wave has prompted an outbreak of clichés.
解说: 咻! 真热的天气! (What a scorcher!) 炎热夏季的热浪已经促使一连串陈腐话题的爆发(outbreak of clichés).

02. In related news, women all over South Philadelphia let out a collective dreamy sigh heard all the way across the river in Camden, New Jersey.
解说: 在相关的新闻(In related news), 遍及南费城的女人发出集体梦幻式叹息一路上连对岸新泽西坎姆登县都听得到.

03. Pizza fiends call his the best pies in America, and even when the mercury reaches 110 (degrees), folks still line up 40 minutes before opening. Why?
解说: 比萨饼上瘾者(Pizza fiends)认为他的比萨饼是美国最好吃的, 甚至当温度高达110度时(when the mercury reaches 110), 人们在(他的店)开门前四十分钟就来排队(to line up). 为什么?
编者按: 这里的mercury是温度计不可当水银来解释.

04. El Niño is responsible for this year's unusual weather patterns, but we expect this system to fade away by the early part of summer.
解说: 厄尔尼诺(El Niño)造成(is responsible for)今年不正常的天气型态, 但是我们预料这个系统将在夏季初期就会逐渐消失(to fade away).

05. I do not like anything like that to happen, I wouldn't mind to switch my Smartphone to protest such idiotic action if it were to happen.
解说: 我不希望类似这样事发生, 我不介意把我的智慧型电话换掉来抗议这样愚蠢的行动假如这个行动将发生的话(if it were to happen).
编者按: 这里的if it were to happen是假如这…将发生的话. 我主要是让网友习惯这种句型, 因为were是在假设语态中是唯一使用的be动词, 例如: if I were …, if he were…, if she were…, if we were…, if they were…, 或, if it were…

06. If that happens, things should warm up considerably just about everywhere, bringing on one of the nation's hottest summers in a good while.
解说: 如果那能发生的话(If that happens), 各地天气情况将会大幅升温, 将出现(bringing on)本国许久以来(in a good while)最炎热的夏天.

07. The Farmers' Almanac has predicted that thunderstorms will strike most regions over the Fourth of July holiday weekend, with the threat of tornadoes over the Plains states.
解说: 农民历(Farmers' Almanac)已经预测大雷雨将在七月四号周末袭击大部分区域, 龙卷风将威胁大平原各州.

08. Summer is off to a sizzling start, with two record-setting days for high temperatures this week and no break in sight for next week.
解说: 夏季以一个热腾腾的天气作为开始(off to a sizzling start), 这星期内两天破高温记录, 下星期也不会有任何减温.
编者按: 这里的off to a … start可以解释为以一个…的作为开始. 另外, no break in sight可以解释为未来不会有任何程度的减轻.

09. If working outside is unavoidable, take frequent breaks and stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water regularly, even if not thirsty.
解说: 如果在户外工作是无法避免的话, 常做短暂休息(to take frequent breaks), 以饮下大量水来保持身体水份(to stay hydrated), 虽然你并不口渴.

10. I did an extra shift at work to earn the money for my next pair of shoes (got a bit of an obsession there…) and rode home from central London about 5pm.
解说: 我在工厂多加了一轮班(I did an extra shift)为了(多)赚点钱买我下一双鞋(有点沉迷鞋子), 下午五点从伦敦中心坐车回家.

11. The week started off with average temperatures but summer is back with a vengeance across the state.
解说: 这个星期以平常温度开始(started off with), 但是夏天以猛烈高温(back with a vengeance)袭击全州各地.

12. New South Wales will swelter through the next two days, with temperatures expected to peak at 39 degrees in Sydney's CBD on Saturday.
解说: 下两天, 新南威尔斯将会酷热, 星期六, 雪梨中央商业区的温度将高达摄氏三十九度(to peak at 39 degrees).
编者按: 这里的CBD就是central business district, 中央商业区.

13. The health department has also issued a warning for poor air quality in Sydney today and revelers at the Big Day Out Festival at Homebush are being urged by authorities to be sensible in the heat.
解说: 健康部门也已经发出今天在雪梨恶劣空气品质的警告, 在Homebush区Big Day Out音乐节狂欢者也被官方敦促要小心酷热状况(be sensible in the heat).

14. Its lethal effects include burning eyes, streaming nose, uncontrollable hiccups and much, much worse. And it is about to be sold at Tesco.
解说: 它的致命影响包括眼睛灼烧感觉(burning eyes), 流鼻水(streaming nose), 无法控制的打咯(uncontrollable hiccups), 以及更糟的症状(much, much worse). 它将会在铁斯科(店名)出售.
编者按: 这句所谈论的是一个新的辣椒油产品.

15. Both men have been trading barbs, harsh remarks, and to an extent, taunting one another over the past few months; their quips and goading having been sufficiently reported in local media.
解说: 过去几个月, 他们两人一直针锋相对(trading barbs), 交换严厉话语, 在某个程度上互相嘲笑; 他们之间的指桑骂櫰以及言语刺激已经充分地被当地传媒报导.

16. Might as well just use a dartboard - the only contest seems to be convincing the sheeple of Massachusetts "I'm more liberal than her" and "No, I'm more liberal than him".
解说: 干脆(Might as well)使用一个飞镖盘来决定后选人–这里唯一的竞赛好像是说服顺从的麻州选民(the sheeple) "我比她更属自由派"以及"才不是, 我比他更属自由派".
编者按: 这里的the sheeple是一个网路发明的字眼, 也就是对官方宣传不加思考, 全盘接受的民众或选民.

17. Money may be root of evil, but regrettably we are stuck with it.
解说: 金钱也许是罪魁祸首(root of evil), 但是我们确无法摆脱它(be stuck with it).
编者按: 这里的be stuck with it也可以解释为非要它不可.

18. The markets were mixed as the UK's new coalition government took shape yesterday, with shares and gilts rising on hopes of swift action on the yawning budget deficit, but sterling falling against the euro and the dollar after the Bank of England issued dovish growth and inflation forecasts.
解说: 当英国新的联合政府于昨天发展成形(took shape), 股市反应不一. 寄望对逐渐扩大的预算赤字采取迅速行动, 股票与债券(gilts)升值, 但是在英国银行发出温和的成长与通膨预测之后, 英磅却对欧元与美元贬值.
编者按: 这里的gilts是英国政府发行的债券.

19. However much that state of things may have altered during the last twenty-five years, the general principles laid down in the Manifesto are, on the whole, as correct today as ever.
解说: 不论过去二十五年情势状况如何的改变, 马恩宣言所制定的大原则基本上(on the whole) 在今天也仍是正确的(as correct today as ever).
编者按: 这里的as correct today as ever可以解释为在今天也跟过去一样地一直是正确的.

20. It would be nice if they gave more thoughts about elderly cats that have a hard time getting around.
解说: 最好是(It would be nice)假如他们对年老的, 行动不便的猫儿给予更多的关怀(gave more thoughts).

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 197 访客