请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 14

帖子 royl » 周一 7月 12, 2010 8:58 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 14

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. Since Susan and James Gordon have had adjacent offices for 18 years (“but who's counting?” she _______), they often encounter students roaming hallways in search of Dr. Gordon.
02. As John sits in a park, at loose _______ and out of a job, a friend tells him that a bear has escaped from a nearby zoo.
03. There was a wealth of information at her fingertips, and she like anyone else could publish her story and _______ with others.
04. I wouldn't say I get angry at the drop of a _______ but I'm easily annoyed.
05. Don't bawl out your responder for failing to notice the fine _______ of your question.
06. One of the things I keep saying to folks is be specific, if you want something and don't _______ around the bush, just ask!
07. Geely buys Volvo. Believe it or not, it could _______.
08. Coca-Cola and Costco have ironed _______ a pricing dispute that kept the warehouse chain from restocking its shelves with the soda titan's products for over a month.
09. Paul Lee today pleaded with Rockets' supporters to _______ bygones be bygones and remember that he, like them, is just a fan of the club.
10. It's time to bury the _______ --but not in each other.
11. Oh no, the madness will go on and on and on, at least until some sanctimonious busybody _______ it upon himself to go even more rogue than Hume.
12. Many of them cast eyes at the two handsome young farmers, hoping to be _______ by them.
13. Adam and the clerk sat down and chew the rag for awhile. Then Adam heard from the grape _______ that Morgan was going out with an old flame.
14. Just ask the inventors of these products, each one having changed the way we live, and each one having come _______ either by serendipity or complete fuck-up.
15. You are such a _______ fish – it's impossible to work with you!
16. Despite their thoughtful nods of agreement and what I have interpreted as moments of clarity, it turns out that in many cases it has all come to _______.
17. The ironic part of the story is that when I got to the off-ramp where I needed to get off the freeway, guess who was in front of me? It was the same crazy guy that zigzagged and nearly drove 20 people _______ the road.
18. BP repeatedly _______ corners on safety as it rushed to complete its deepwater oil well in the Gulf of Mexico, overlooking concerns raised by its contractors and some of its own employees.
19. As if the prices at the bar weren't daylight robbery _______, Emma realized that her purse was missing from her reasonably secure handbag.
20. What they don't realize is I'm dead serious. It _______ my mind that the world doesn't feel the way I do.

(about, beat, blows, cold, connect, cut, ends, engaged, enough, hat, hatchet, let, naught, nuances, off, out, quips, takes, vine, work)

royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 14

帖子 royl » 周二 7月 13, 2010 5:54 pm

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找美国人经常使用的成语, 短语, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. Since Susan and James Gordon have had adjacent offices for 18 years ("but who's counting?" she quips), they often encounter students roaming hallways in search of Dr. Gordon.
解说: 既然苏珊与杰姆斯葛登在相连的办公室工作十八年("但是谁会去算?" 她说句俏皮话)("but who's counting?" she quips), 他们经常碰到在走廊徘徊的学生寻找( in search of)葛登博士.
编者按: 这句话是说学生不知道要找哪一个葛登博士因为苏珊与杰姆斯两人都是葛登博士. 这里的but who's counting? 主要是表达算了多次了, 已经没人再算年数或次数.

02. As John sits in a park, at loose ends and out of a job, a friend tells him that a bear has escaped from a nearby zoo.
解说: 当约翰坐在公园, 没事可做(at loose ends), 失业(out of a job), 一个朋友告诉他一头熊从附近的动物园逃出来.

03. There was a wealth of information at her fingertips, and she like anyone else could publish her story and connect with others.
解说: 她对大量资料(a wealth of information)了如指掌(at her fingertips), 她, 像别人一样发行她的故事并引起她读者的共鸣(to connect with others).

04. I wouldn't say I get angry at the drop of a hat but I'm easily annoyed.
解说: 我不认为我很快(at the drop of a hat)动怒, 但是我很容易被人搅得不耐烦(be easily annoyed).

05. Don't bawl out your responder for failing to notice the fine nuances of your question.
解说: 别只因为没有注意到你问题的微妙差别(the fine nuances of…)对你的回应者痛骂(bawl out).

06. One of the things I keep saying to folks is be specific, if you want something and don't beat around the bush, just ask!
解说: 有件事我不停地告诉人们要具体要详细(to be specific), 假如你要某件东西, 别绕圈子地说话(to beat around the bush), 直接要求就好!
编者按: 这里的don't beat around the bush是指有话直说, 别绕圈子地说话.

07. Geely buys Volvo. Believe it or not, it could work.
解说: 吉利汽车公司收购富豪汽车. 信不信由你(Believe it or not), 好像行得通哦(it could work).

08. Coca-Cola and Costco have ironed out a pricing dispute that kept the warehouse chain from restocking its shelves with the soda titan's products for over a month.
解说: 可口可乐与好市多Costco已经弭平(to iron out)价格歧见. 这个歧见造成仓储量贩连锁店Costco超过一个月无法把售货架上放置汽水巨人的(soda titan's)产品.

09. Paul Lee today pleaded with Rockets' supporters to let bygones be bygones and remember that he, like them, is just a fan of the club.
解说: 李保罗今天请求火箭队支持者把过去的不愉快的事忘掉(to let bygones be bygones), 记得他有如他们一样, 都是俱乐部的球迷.

10. It's time to bury the hatchet -- but not in each other.
解说: 此时正是尽释前嫌, 不念旧恶(to bury the hatchet)的好时机–而不是互相伤害(but not in each other).
编者按: 这里的but not in each other是一句一语双关的妙语, 衔接前面的成语把战斧掩埋起来(尽释前嫌)而不是把战斧埋进/砍进对方的身体内(互相伤害) .

11. Oh no, the madness will go on and on and on, at least until some sanctimonious busybody takes it upon himself to go even more rogue than Hume.
解说: 呕, 不, 这个疯狂还会没完没了地继续下去(to go on and on), 起码直到某一个自认神圣的多管闲事者(some sanctimonious busybody)站出来一肩挑起(to take it upon himself)进行比休姆更无赖的行为.

12. Many of them cast eyes at the two handsome young farmers, hoping to be engaged by them.
解说: 她们中许多人对两个年青英俊的农人抛媚眼(to cast eyes at), 希望他们(这两个农人)被吸引到(to be engaged).

13. Adam and the clerk sat down and chew the rag for awhile. Then Adam heard from the grape vine that Morgan was going out with an old flame.
解说: 亚当跟这个职员坐下来聊天(to chew the rag)一阵子. 然后亚当从小道消息得知(to hear from the grape vine)摩根正在跟老情人约会(to go out with an old flame).

14. Just ask the inventors of these products, each one having changed the way we live, and each one having come about either by serendipity or complete fuck-up.
解说: 只要问这些产品的发明家们, 每个产品已经改变我们的生活方式(to change the way we live), 每个产品不是经由不小心发现(serendipity), 就是完全失败(complete fuck-up)所产生的(to come about).

15. You are such a cold fish – it's impossible to work with you!
解说: 你是个冷漠无情的人(a cold fish) – 跟你一起工作(to work with)简直是不可能.

16. Despite their thoughtful nods of agreement and what I have interpreted as moments of clarity, it turns out that in many cases it has all come to naught.
解说: 尽管他们深思熟虑点头同意(thoughtful nods of agreement), 以及我解读为清晰无疑的时候, 它在很多情况下(in many cases) 一切成了泡影(to come to naught).
编者按: 这里的it has all come to naught也可以解释为一切都落空.

17. The ironic part of the story is that when I got to the off-ramp where I needed to get off the freeway, guess who was in front of me? It was the same crazy guy that zigzagged and nearly drove 20 people off the road.
解说: 这个故事具有讽刺性的一部分是当我抵达出口也就是我要离开高速公路(to get off the freeway)时, 猜猜看谁在我前面? 就是同一个横冲直撞把二十个人赶出高速公路(to drive 20 people off the road)的疯狂家伙.

18. BP repeatedly cut corners on safety as it rushed to complete its deepwater oil well in the Gulf of Mexico, overlooking concerns raised by its contractors and some of its own employees.
解说: 英国石油公司再三地在安全上偷工减料(to cut corners)想要尽速完成其墨西哥湾的深水油井工程, 忽视其承包商以及自己员工所提出(be raised by)担忧意见.

19. As if the prices at the bar weren't daylight robbery enough, Emma realized that her purse was missing from her reasonably secure handbag.
解说: 好像酒吧的价钱还不够高的离谱(As if the prices at the bar weren't daylight robbery enough), 衣玛了解到她的钱包从相当安全的手提包中不见了.
编者按: 这句话是指这个酒吧价钱高还不算, 维安工作也很差劲, 连一个相当安全的手提包也会遗失钱包.

20. What they don't realize is I'm dead serious. It blows my mind that the world doesn't feel the way I do.
解说: 你所不知道的是我非常认真(be dead serious). 让我极为不解的是(to blow my mind)这个世界对我所做的事并不认同(doesn't feel the way I do ).

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 390 访客