请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 15

帖子 royl » 周三 7月 14, 2010 11:17 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 15

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. But in these times of economic doom, efforts to be strict in adhering to a budget plan for your home needs and personal needs will keep you from the debt trap as well as help you save for the rainy ________.
02. I bet you are right about that. Sad, isn't it? I am glad I grew ________ when I could head to the woods after doing my chores.
03. Perhaps, this is not a very pleasant conversation, but I don't have a slightest idea of anything better. That's ________.
04. With a place in the Europa League at stake, both sides had every reason to go ________ the jugular - particularly as neither club has shone in the league this season with both mired in mid-table.
05. There is an external necessity for obeying social laws which must be respected, or society would go to ________.
06. In this Science Update, you'll find out how long a germ can hang ________ and wait for its next victim.
07. Anyone who thinks of Jessica Simpson as a dumb blonde is ________ behind the times. The performer's new reality show starts in March and she's got big plans for future projects.
08. Martin Johnson blew his top after England ________ a golden chance to beat Australia in their own backyard.
09. The fact is that all excuses boil ________ to one common element - a lack/negation of personal responsibility.
10. And thanks to Republican obstructionism in Congress, the combined $89 billion budget gap facing the states could result in 900,000 jobs lost - and an end to the ________ economic recovery.
11. President Obama could sign into law a historic overhaul of rules and oversight for Wall Street as early as this week after three Republicans broke ________ with their party to back the measure and give Democrats a filibuster-proof majority.
12. But when he collapsed after half an hour in the London Marathon that really ________ him down to size. To err is human, to forget is divine.
13. Do what is required, come up to expectations. For example, Kate delivered the ________ and got us the five votes we needed.
14. He is a long shot to get a call up with the National Team, but players have "come out of nowhere" in the past to ________ the team.
15. After they notice that the coast is ________, they need to cook up a plan and to cast an eye about for an accomplice.
16. If you wear a stone face that makes you look unapproachable you won't carry a conversation too ________.
17. Now if that was not scary enough, Moses had an ________ bigger problem! Do you know what that was? Well, let me tell you. Moses had trouble talking – that is right!
18. The only problem was the words never came out right and he would either stutter or the words would come out all ________ up and the other children would not understand what he was trying to say.
19. I'm staying away from risky stocks; I've burned my fingers too often to ________.
20. People are awakened, and convicted, and ________ and by they get to hope and settle down in false security, and then away they go.

(around, by, clear, count, cut, day, down, even, far, for, goods, make, mixed, nascent, pieces, ranks, that, up, wasted, way)

royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 15

帖子 royl » 周五 7月 16, 2010 12:35 am

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找美国人经常使用的成语, 短语, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. But in these times of economic doom, efforts to be strict in adhering to a budget plan for your home needs and personal needs will keep you from the debt trap as well as help you save for the rainy day.
解说: 在这样的经济灾难时候, 在家庭及个人的需要上你要努力严守预算计画, 才可以让你不落入债务陷阱以及让你有办法存钱以备不时之需(save for the rainy day).

02. I bet you are right about that. Sad, isn't it? I am glad I grew up when I could head to the woods after doing my chores.
解说: 我同意你的说法(I bet you are right). 可悲, 不是吗? 我很幸运, 在我成长的时候(to grow up), 我还可以在工作之余到树林里去(逛逛) .

03. Perhaps, this is not a very pleasant conversation, but I don't have a slightest idea of anything better. That's that.
解说: 大概这不一个令人愉快的谈话, 但是我没有一点更好的话题可谈(don't have a slightest idea of anything better). 就是这样啦(That's that).

04. With a place in the Europa League at stake, both sides had every reason to go for the jugular - particularly as neither club has shone in the league this season with both mired in mid-table.
解说: 在处于欧洲大联盟地位上的成败关头(at stake), 两队有充分理由(to have every reason)直攻敌人要害(go for the jugular) – 尤其两个球队在这一球季表现皆不出色(to shine in=表现出色), 也陷在中等队伍的排名里.
编者按: 这里的mid-table是指居于不是一流的也不是末流队伍的中档排名.

05. There is an external necessity for obeying social laws which must be respected, or society would go to pieces.
解说: 外在的需要使我们必须要慎重对待社会法律的遵守, 否则这个社会将会分崩离析(to go to pieces).

06. In this Science Update, you'll find out how long a germ can hang around and wait for its next victim.
解说: 在这篇科学最新消息里, 你将会发现细菌可以逗留(hang around)多久并等待下一个受害者.

07. Anyone who thinks of Jessica Simpson as a dumb blonde is way behind the times. The performer's new reality show starts in March and she's got big plans for future projects.
解说: 任何人如果认为洁西卡.辛普森是一个没脑的金发美人(a dumb blonde)是个老古董了(behind the times). 这位演员三月份要播出新的真人秀(reality show)以及她对未来的工作项目宏伟计画(to have big plans for).
编者按: 这里的way不是方法或道路而是非常地(副词)的意思.

08. Martin Johnson blew his top after England wasted a golden chance to beat Australia in their own backyard.
解说: 马丁.江森在英国队浪费一个在主场优势上可以打败澳洲队的宝贵机会之后大发雷霆(to blow his top).
编者按: 这里的in their own backyard本来是在自己的后院之意, 但是这里是指在主场优势.

09. The fact is that all excuses boil down to one common element - a lack/negation of personal responsibility.
解说: 事实上(The fact is), 所有的借口终归咎于(to boil down)一个共同因素– 缺乏个人的责任感.

10. And thanks to Republican obstructionism in Congress, the combined $89 billion budget gap facing the states could result in 900,000 jobs lost - and an end to the nascent economic recovery.
解说: 由于(thanks to)共和党在国会的阻扰, 这个国家面临的合并的八百九十亿元预算赤字(budget gap)可以造成九十万个失业– 并造成新生经济复苏的终止.
编者按: 这里的nascent是新生的, 开始形成的.

11. President Obama could sign into law a historic overhaul of rules and oversight for Wall Street as early as this week after three Republicans broke ranks with their party to back the measure and give Democrats a filibuster-proof majority.
解说: 在三个共和党议员脱队(to break ranks with)而支持这个措施之后, 给予民主党一个防止阻碍议程通过的多数; 奥巴马总统可以最快于本周内签署一个历史性的华尔街管理及监督的革新法案(to sign into law)
编者按: 这里的filibuster是议员以冗长发言来阻碍议程通过的行为, 因此filibuster-proof majority可以解释为防止(共和党)阻碍议程通过的多数.

12. But when he collapsed after half an hour in the London Marathon that really cut him down to size. To err is human, to forget is divine.
解说: 但是当他在伦敦马拉松赛跑半小时之后体力不支而倒下, 这真正地煞煞他的威风(to cut him down to size). 犯错人皆难免, 宽恕则属神圣.
编者按: 这里的To err is human, to forget is divine是一句谚语, 请网友背下来.

13. Do what is required, come up to expectations. For example, Kate delivered the goods and got us the five votes we needed.
解说: 把该做的做好(Do what is required), 达成自己的期望(come up to expectations). 例如, 凯特履行了诺言(to deliver the goods), 取得我们所需要的五票.

14. He is a long shot to get a call up with the National Team, but players have "come out of nowhere" in the past to make the team.
解说: 他取得国家队的征召(a call up)希望不大(long shot), 但是过去许多球员莫名其妙地(come out of nowhere)成为了队员(to make the team).
解说: 这句话的意思是虽然此人不太可能成为国家队的队员, 但结果也不一定是如此, 因为过去也有人莫名其妙地被征召成为国家队队员.

15. After they notice that the coast is clear, they need to cook up a plan and to cast an eye about for an accomplice.
解说: 在他们注意到险境已过(the coast is clear), 他们需要编造一个计画(to cook up a plan)以及四处浏览(to cast an eye about)找寻一个共犯.

16. If you wear a stone face that makes you look unapproachable you won't carry a conversation too far.
解说: 你如果板着一张脸(to wear a stone face)让别人看起来不平易近人, 你跟别人交谈(to carry a conversation)不会深入.
编者按: 这句话的意思是你如果板着一张脸令人畏惧的话, 人家也不会跟你多谈话.

17. Now if that was not scary enough, Moses had an even bigger problem! Do you know what that was? Well, let me tell you. Moses had trouble talking – that is right!
解说: 如果这还不够惊人的话, 摩西还有更大的问题(an even bigger problem)! 你知道那是什么问题吗? 好, 让我告诉你. 摩西曾有语言障碍– 对啦!

18. The only problem was the words never came out right and he would either stutter or the words would come out all mixed up and the other children would not understand what he was trying to say.
解说: 唯一的问题是他的话语一直无法正确表达出来(to come out right), 他要不是结结巴巴的就是说得含糊不清(mixed up), 其他小孩无法听懂他在说什么.

19. I'm staying away from risky stocks; I've burned my fingers too often to count.
解说: 我远离(to stay away from)风险高的股票; 我不晓得有太多次(too often to count)受到损失(to burn my fingers).
编者按: 这里的too often to count的意思是发生了太多次我都无法算.

20. People are awakened, and convicted, and by and by they get to hope and settle down in false security, and then away they go.
解说: 人们醒悟了, 也知道自己所犯的罪恶, 不久之后(by and by), 他们开始期望并在虚假的安全感之下心安下来(to settle down), 然后他们又远离正道(then away they go).
编者按: 这句话是指有些人知道自己过去的罪恶, 但并没有痛改前非, 当他们心安下来之后又回到过去的罪恶生活方式.

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: Google [Bot] 和 394 访客