请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 16

帖子 royl » 周四 7月 15, 2010 12:29 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 16

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. All in all, it was a very _______ and rewarding trek out to Area 51, and it will be remembered for a long time to come.
02. The Taurus woman is all woman and proud of it, too. She can be very devoted and loving once she decides that her relationship with you is no _______ romance.
03. Take your time doing this, because remember – you absolutely have to make this goal happen. Your “circumstance” cannot be used as an excuse. Get _______.
04. As a rule of _______, the worst possible time to convert lump sum savings into a fixed income annuity would be when interest rates are historically low.
05. Does he constantly check up _______ you or always make you check in with him?
06. I was coming home, but I decided to stop _______ my uncle's on the way.
07. That's where you _______ in. As we look back over our heritage of innovation, we recognize the contribution that our external collaborators have made.
08. Oh come off it! If any of you had a rent-stabilized place and were forced by the city to leave it you'd be upset _______.
09. I'm not a Democrat although my grandmother would _______ over in her grave if she heard me say that.
10. I live in Idaho so my vote doesn't count. There was an editorial in the local rag today criticizing the Democrats for not putting _______ candidates for the state legislature.
11. When the lockout first began I didn't put much effort into job searches, but I didn't expect it to drag on this _______.
12. Though it's disheartening to his female fans that he is married, that doesn't stop them from drooling _______ him.
13. I hope you enjoy the website and that you will visit often for updates. Drop me a line _______ aabbcc@att.net. It's always a delight to hear from readers.
14. This is a wake-up _______ for those who dwell on their own problems - a little too much, or at all. Take a moment to ponder how much you are missing out on.
15. Every now and _______ someone sends me a picture from the bygone days of my misspent new wave youth.
16. I assumed it was because she isn't a surgeon, but it turns out that she is: it's just that she didn't really feel up _______ the challenge presented by my mouth.
17. Ladies have you ever had a close acquaintance put you in a position that you were violated and _______?
18. No surprise _______ - Seattle has the largest amount of coffee shops, great places for meeting people or gathering to rehash the previous night's activities.
19. It is not worth the time to make one from scratch. The woodworking tools, if you go that _______, are expensive and necessary.
20. Coffee is my only _______ when I'm reading, but I have to literally put the book down and make sure it's away from me.

(at, by, call, come, cracking, enjoyable, fly-by-night, here, long, on, over, roll, route, strong-armed, then, thumb, to, too, up, vice)

royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 16

帖子 royl » 周五 7月 16, 2010 3:08 pm

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找美国人经常使用的成语, 短语, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. All in all, it was a very enjoyable and rewarding trek out to Area 51, and it will be remembered for a long time to come.
解说: 总体来说(All in all), 到51号区域远足是非常令人愉快与获益非浅, 这将未来长久地(for a long time to come)被我怀念与回味.

02. The Taurus woman is all woman and proud of it, too. She can be very devoted and loving once she decides that her relationship with you is no fly-by-night romance.
解说: 金牛座的女人是百分之百的女人(all woman)而且引以为傲. 一旦她决定她与你的关系不是短暂的(fly-by-night), 她可以对你全心投入与充满爱意.

03. Take your time doing this, because remember – you absolutely have to make this goal happen. Your "circumstance" cannot be used as an excuse. Get cracking.
解说: 你要从容不迫(to take your time)做这件事, 因为你要记得–你绝对要达成你的任务. 你的"情况"不可以成为你的借口. 你可以开始了(to get cracking) .

04. As a rule of thumb, the worst possible time to convert lump sum savings into a fixed income annuity would be when interest rates are historically low.
解说: 作为一个经验法则(a rule of thumb), 把整笔储蓄转换成固定收入的年金最糟糕的时机(the worst possible time) 是当利率处于历史新低点之时.

05. Does he constantly check up on you or always make you check in with him?
解说: 他是不是不停地监督你(to check up on)或一直要你跟他联络(to check in with)?
编者按: 这句话使用的背景是询问被男友迫害的少女所受经历的普遍状况.

06. I was coming home, but I decided to stop by my uncle's on the way.
解说: 我正要回家, 但是在路途上我顺便到我舅舅家探望(to stop by).
编者按: 这里的my uncle's全文应该是my uncle's home, 因为前文已经用了home, 所以后面的home可以省略.

07. That's where you come in. As we look back over our heritage of innovation, we recognize the contribution that our external collaborators have made.
解说: 这就是你要做的工作(That's where you come in). 当我们回顾(to look back)我们所传承过去的新发明, 我们承认外来的合作者所做出的贡献.
编者按: 这里的that's where you come in的主要意义是给予你一个特殊的角色或功能.

08. Oh come off it! If any of you had a rent-stabilized place and were forced by the city to leave it you'd be upset too.
解说: 呕, 别扯淡了(come off it)! 如果你们任何一人拥有一个房租管制的住处而且被强制搬出的话, 你也会很不痛快.

09. I'm not a Democrat although my grandmother would roll over in her grave if she heard me say that.
解说: 我不是一个民主党员虽然我过逝祖母听到我说的这句话会极度不满(to roll over in her grave).
编者按: 这里的to roll over in one's grave意指如果已过逝某人地下有知此事, 他将会极度不满或反对.

10. I live in Idaho so my vote doesn't count. There was an editorial in the local rag today criticizing the Democrats for not putting up candidates for the state legislature.
解说: 我住在爱达荷州所以我的投票不算数(doesn't count). 本地报纸(a local rag)的社论今天批评民主党不推出(to put up)州议员后选人.

11. When the lockout first began I didn't put much effort into job searches, but I didn't expect it to drag on this long.
解说: 当停工起初开始时, 我并没付出太多努力(to put much effort into)寻找工作, 但是我没想到这个停工拖延这么久(to drag on this long).
编者按: 这里的the lockout是业主为了抵制工人的要求而停工.

12. Though it's disheartening to his female fans that he is married, that doesn't stop them from drooling over him.
解说: 尽管对他的女球迷来说他已结婚是让人沮丧的, 但这并不令女球迷停止(to stop them from)对他垂涎三尺(to drooling over).

13. I hope you enjoy the website and that you will visit often for updates. Drop me a line at aabbcc@att.net. It's always a delight to hear from readers.
解说: 我希望你们对这个网站满意以及你以后经常来访看看最新消息. 写封信给我(to drop me a line)到(网址)aabbcc@att.net. 我很高兴收到读者的回应( to hear from readers).

14. This is a wake-up call for those who dwell on their own problems - a little too much, or at all. Take a moment to ponder how much you are missing out on.
解说: 这是对老是过多地(a little too much)或完全地徘徊留念在(to dwell on)自己问题的人敲响的一个警钟(a wake-up call). 花一点时间去好好地想一想多少事情你错过了参与(to miss out on).
编者按: 这句话意思是如果一个人被过去的问题所缠绕, 无法忘怀, 浪费不少时光, 要好好地想一想你在这期间里失去了多少好时光的参与.

15. Every now and then someone sends me a picture from the bygone days of my misspent new wave youth.
解说: 有人不时地(Every now and then)寄给我一张我过去年青时荒唐追求新潮的照片.

16. I assumed it was because she isn't a surgeon, but it turns out that she is: it's just that she didn't really feel up to the challenge presented by my mouth.
解说: 我当时假设她并不是一位外科医师, 但结果证明(to turn out)她是位外科医师; 只是她当时并不感觉胜任(to feel up to)我嘴巴所显示出的挑战.
编者按: 这句话意思是这位外科医师当时对我嘴巴的症状并没有信心做成功的开刀手术.

17. Ladies have you ever had a close acquaintance put you in a position that you were violated and strong-armed?
解说: 女士们, 你们曾经是否有一个亲密熟人置妳于被侵犯与暴力相向(be strong-armed)的处境(in a position)?

18. No surprise here - Seattle has the largest amount of coffee shops, great places for meeting people or gathering to rehash the previous night's activities.
解说: 这是意料之中的(No surprise here) – 西雅图拥有最大量的咖啡店, 也是结交别人或跟人们回味昨夜活动最好的场所.
编者按: 这里的No surprise here也可以解释为这是毫无意外的.

19. It is not worth the time to make one from scratch. The woodworking tools, if you go that route, are expensive and necessary.
解说: 重新做一张木桌子(to make one from scratch)不值得花这个时间(not worth the time to). 如果你选择这个方式(to go that route), 木工工具是昂贵的也是必要的.
编者按: 这句话意思是你没有必要自己以手工重新做一张木桌子因为木工工具是昂贵的也是必要的; 还不如取买一张木桌子划算

20. Coffee is my only vice when I'm reading, but I have to literally put the book down and make sure it's away from me.
解说: 看书时喝咖啡是我唯一的不良习惯(my only vice), 但是我必须确实地把书放下来, 确定咖啡离我远一点(be away from).
编者按: 这句话意思是虽然我看书时一定要喝咖啡, 但是我尽量地把咖啡杯放得越远越好, 因为我也不想猛喝咖啡.

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 385 访客