请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 17

帖子 royl » 周六 7月 17, 2010 1:00 am

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 17

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. It is time for us to let loose the _______ of war. And as any attack dog trainer will tell you, once released, you never call off the dogs until their hunger is sated and the enemy is utterly incapacitated.
02. If you had one shot, or one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted, one moment, would you capture it or just let it _______?
03. This is where officials call the _______ on deploying undersea dispersants, skimming operations and surface burns.
04. He's no-nonsense and gets the job done. Nothing _______ the kid. He's just what you would call an outstanding catcher.
05. Many Canadians are slowly catching on to the benefits of working with a mortgage agent; many others are still relatively unfamiliar with the profession and the services available _______ them.
06. The festival-loving people at Orange have come up _______ yet another novel mobile charging prototype.
07. The concept of temporary, amid Haiti's teeming refugee camps, has morphed _______ a dismal variation of forever.
08. Corruption in India has a tacit support from the society as the society lacks social safety net and everyone is for _______.
09. A case in point was a bizarre Christmas feast with an elderly American couple, old-style communists who had moved to China and taken _______ citizenship and party membership.
10. But you don't have to take our word _______ it. Some of our best advertising comes from our customers.
11. Not my cup of _______, but let me just say for the record that all tacos are Native American.
12. A simple blood test for detecting Alzheimer's has long been the Holy Grail for dementia researchers and these new findings edge us _______ in the search.
13. This girl who can't _______ her own laundry herself hasn't lifted a finger her entire life except to text her friends on her iPhone.
14. It set up the point that the show maturely made as the choir faced disbanding: that what each kid gained over the _______ of the season had nothing to do with winning and losing.
15. At this moment, I also say rather him than me! I can _______ it was quite a shock for you to get to know this information.
16. After an enjoyable meal with them I made my _______ to Graham's bedroom where I was soon dead to the world.
17. I don't fall for look, really, even _______ my husband is an incredibly good looking person. What I like so much about him is his kind heart, his sense of humor, his sense of responsibility.
18. When you're down in the _______, lace up your sneakers and go for a brisk walk.
19. I detect some of the sparkle you say is missing at the _______. I hope you'll soon be feeling in the pink again.
20. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer causing sufferings to millions who are reduced to a kind of slavery where they are sustained to produce more and more capital for a _______.

(closer, course, do, dogs, dumps, fazes, few, for, himself, imagine, into, moment, shots, slip, tea, though, to, up, way, with)

royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 17

帖子 royl » 周六 7月 17, 2010 11:11 pm

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找美国人经常使用的成语, 短语, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. It is time for us to let loose the dogs of war. And as any attack dog trainer will tell you, once released, you never call off the dogs until their hunger is sated and the enemy is utterly incapacitated.
解说: 此时我们应当发动战争(to let loose the dogs of war). 就像任何驯犬师会告诉你, 一旦放出狗, 直到它们的饥饿得到饱足(until their hunger is sated)以及敌人完全丧失战斗力之前, 你绝不会召回(to call off)狗群.
编者按: 这里的let loose the dogs of war是一个成语也就是发动战争, 但句中也把狗也带进来作为战争的行为.

02. If you had one shot, or one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted, one moment, would you capture it or just let it slip?
解说: 如果你有一个尝试机会(to have one shot)或一个抓住你想要的一切事或物的机会, 你会抓住它还是让它溜掉(to let it slip)?

03. This is where officials call the shots on deploying undersea dispersants, skimming operations and surface burns.
解说: 这就是官员决定(to call the shots)部署海底(化学)驱散剂, 撇油行动以及燃烧海面石油的地方.

04. He's no-nonsense and gets the job done. Nothing fazes the kid. He's just what you would call an outstanding catcher.
解说: 他很认真与实际(no-nonsense), 总能完成任务(to get the job done). 没有一件事情能让他退却(Nothing fazes the kid). 他就是你所称谓的出色捕手.

05. Many Canadians are slowly catching on to the benefits of working with a mortgage agent; many others are still relatively unfamiliar with the profession and the services available to them.
解说: 许多加拿大人慢慢地意识到(to catch on to)跟贷款经理人合作的好处; 许多其他人仍旧相对地不熟悉这个行业与服务是为他们所提供的(be available to them).

06. The festival-loving people at Orange have come up with yet another novel mobile charging prototype.
解说: 橙县爱好欢乐的居民发展出(to come up with)又一个(yet another)新奇的移动充电原型机器.

07. The concept of temporary, amid Haiti's teeming refugee camps, has morphed into a dismal variation of forever.
解说: "暂时的"概念在海地大量群聚(teeming)的难民营已经蜕变成(to morph into)一个凄惨的变化--"永久".

08. Corruption in India has a tacit support from the society as the society lacks social safety net and everyone is for himself.
解说: 腐败在印度拥有社会给予的沉默支持(tacit support)因为这个社会缺乏社会保障(social safety net)况且人人只顾自己(everyone is for himself).

09. A case in point was a bizarre Christmas feast with an elderly American couple, old-style communists who had moved to China and taken up citizenship and party membership.
解说: 一个例证(A case in point)是和一对美国老夫妇共进的不寻常圣诞大餐(to take up), 他们是旧式的共产党员曾经迁移到中国取得中国的公民与党员身份.

10. But you don't have to take our word for it. Some of our best advertising comes from our customers.
解说: 但是你不须要完全相信我们的话(to take our word for it). 我们的一些最好的广告是我们的客户.

11. Not my cup of tea, but let me just say for the record that all tacos are Native American.
解说: 这不是我的专长(Not my cup of tea), 但是让我公开地说(for the record)所有的墨西哥薄饼是美国原住民所发明的.

12. A simple blood test for detecting Alzheimer's has long been the Holy Grail for dementia researchers and these new findings edge us closer in the search.
解说: 以抽血测试阿尔茨海默氏病长久以来一直是失忆症研究者的长期艰难探索(Holy Grail), 这些新发现更加推近(to edge us closer)我们的搜寻工作.

13. This girl who can't do her own laundry herself, hasn't lifted a finger her entire life except to text her friends on her iPhone.
解说: 这个女孩除了用她的iPhonez发短信之外, 不会洗她自己的衣物(to do her own laundry), 一辈子从不出一点力帮助别人(to lift a finger).
编者按: 这句话是描述一个自私自利的女孩.

14. It set up the point that the show maturely made as the choir faced disbanding: that what each kid gained over the course of the season had nothing to do with winning and losing.
解说: 建立的理论根据(to set up the point)是当合唱团面临被解散时, 这个制作成熟的表演: 每一个小朋友在整季中(over the course of)所取得经验与比赛输赢毫无关联(to have nothing to do with).

15. At this moment, I also say rather him than me! I can imagine it was quite a shock for you to get to know this information.
解说: 此时(At this moment), 我同样地说宁愿是他不是我(rather him than me)! 我可以想像到, 得知这个消息对你是一大震撼(quite a shock).

16. After an enjoyable meal with them, I made my way to Graham's bedroom where I was soon dead to the world.
解说: 跟他们吃完了一顿丰盛的大餐之后, 我回到(to make my way to)葛蓝姆的卧室, 没多久我就睡得不醒人事(be dead to the world).

17. I don't fall for look, really, even though my husband is an incredibly good looking person. What I like so much about him is his kind heart, his sense of humor, his sense of responsibility.
解说: 我不迷恋外表(to fall for look), 真的, 尽管(even though)我先生是个美男子. 我所爱慕他的是他的仁慈之心, 他的幽默感, 他的责任感.

18. When you're down in the dumps, lace up your sneakers and go for a brisk walk.
解说: 当你情绪低落(down in the dumps)时, 穿上(to lace up)你的运动鞋, 到外面轻快地散步(to go for a walk).
编者按: 这里的to lace up是绑鞋带的意思, lace up your sneakers却应该解释成穿上你的运动鞋.

19. I detect some of the sparkle you say is missing at the moment. I hope you'll soon be feeling in the pink again.
解说: 我发现这个时候(at the moment)有些你所说的生命活力不见了. 我希望你不久又回复到精力充沛的状态(to feel in the pink).

20. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer causing sufferings to millions who are reduced to a kind of slavery where they are sustained to produce more and more capital for a few.
解说: 富者越富, 贫者越贫使得数百万人痛苦不堪, 把他们陷于(reduced to)某种奴隶的地位, 为了生活他们生产越来越多的资本给予一小撮富人(for a few ).

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 411 访客