请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 18

帖子 royl » 周一 7月 19, 2010 2:22 am

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 18

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. Lucy tried to get some money from her uncle, but she was barking up the wrong _______ -- he doesn't have a dime!
02. Sure, why not? We're on vacation, we're in _______ hurry. While we waited, the kids watched a movie, Tara and I read and relaxed.
03. Before you _______ it, it's time for lunch. Your co-worker casually mentions, "Hey, we're going to the local Greasy Spoon around the corner. You want anything?"
04. I would come home, snuggle with my _______ half and the kids and basically do nothing!
05. Let me put it this way, I shouldn't cheat, not because I can't get away with it, or maybe I can get away with it, but because it is fundamentally _______.
06. The fair market value is the price at which the property would change hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither being under any compulsion to buy or to sell and both having reasonable knowledge of _______ facts.
07. President Obama is poised to increase the US debt to a _______ that exceeds the value of the nation's annual economic output, a step toward what Bill Gross called a “debt super cycle.”
08. Management, the home of the two hedge funds that were loaded to the _______ with collateralized debt obligations and then went belly-up in July.
09. Housing led the US economy's first decline. Now the plunge in consumer spending—the worst in nearly three decades—augurs unpleasant quarters to _______.
10. I won't have it any other _______. I didn't sign a new cell phone contract in lieu of a prepaid cell phone.
11. We take great care of our cars; we do not let our cars get to the point of breakdown. At the first _______ of trouble, we take the car in for service.
12. This may sound crazy but I want to build a vintage music system. Why? Because from all that I've read and seen, you get more bang for your _______ and better sound than with a huge majority of the expensive new stuff.
13. Here is a man who was so close to power he would come _______ with a cold if the President sneezed (and could have brought a lot of us literally down with him).
14. Stepping into the boss's shoes for a day or two is no big deal but if you're taking over for a longer stretch there are a number of issues to keep in _______.
15. Well for one _______, people keep spouting bogus statistics and that really doesn't help.
16. She says her fellow students have treated her like one of the crowd and she appreciates that no one makes a fuss _______ her age.
17. That person can also fill in for you when you're out of _______. The only trouble is, how do you retain such a person?
18. Don't give me that look; you know _______ what I mean. Go ahead, put a gardenia behind your ear if you have to.
19. I never knew you were such an entertainer John! Then _______, I don't really know you at all; for all I know, you could be a cross-dresser.
20. You would become a pariah if you fall _______ with BP. People start to look at you differently. If you are seen as a whistleblower of some sort, you get shunned.

(again, better, buck, come, commission, down, exactly, gills, know, level, mind, no, out, over, relevant, sign, thing, tree, way, wrong)

royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 18

帖子 royl » 周二 7月 20, 2010 1:54 am

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找美国人经常使用的成语, 短语, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. Lucy tried to get some money from her uncle, but she was barking up the wrong tree -- he doesn't have a dime!
解说: 露西想要跟她叔叔要钱, 但是她找错对象(barking up the wrong tree)—他身上一毛钱都没有(doesn't have a dime).

02. Sure, why not? We're on vacation, we're in no hurry. While we waited, the kids watched a movie, Tara and I read and relaxed.
解说: 好啊, 有何不可? 我们正休假(be on vacation), 我们不急(be in no hurry). 当我们在等的时间, 小朋友看电影, 泰拉跟我看书与休闲.

03. Before you know it, it's time for lunch. Your co-worker casually mentions, "Hey, we're going to the local Greasy Spoon around the corner. You want anything?"
解说: 不知不觉地(Before you know it)到了吃饭的时间(it's time for lunch). 我的同事漫不经心地提到"嘿, 我们要去附近(around the corner)本地的"油腻汤匙"小饭馆吃饭, 你要吃什么?"
编者按: 这里的a greasy spoon(俚语), 也可以解释为卫生条件差的低级小饭馆, 邋遢的廉价饭馆.

04. I would come home, snuggle with my better half and the kids and basically do nothing!
解说: 我要回家, 跟我太太(my better half) 与小孩温馨相处(to snuggle with), 基本上什么事都不想做.

05. Let me put it this way, I shouldn't cheat, not because I can't get away with it, or maybe I can get away with it, but because it is fundamentally wrong.
解说: 让我这样说吧(put it this way), 我不该欺骗, 并不因为我无法侥幸成功(to get away with it), 或者是我可以逍遥法外, 而是因为这基本上是错误的.

06. The fair market value is the price at which the property would change hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither being under any compulsion to buy or to sell and both having reasonable knowledge of relevant facts.
解说: 公平市价(fair market value)是介于有意愿的卖方与买方房地产易手(to change hands)的价格, 双方都没义务要(under any compulsion)成交买卖以及双方都具有合理的相关事实( relevant facts)之了解.

07. President Obama is poised to increase the US debt to a level that exceeds the value of the nation's annual economic output; a step toward what Bill Gross called a “debt super cycle.”
解说: 奥巴马总统准备要(be poised to)提高美国债务的层级, 也就是美国债务将超过国家一年的经济生产量; 距离比尔.葛罗斯所称的"债务超级循环"又更近一步(a step toward).

08. Management, the home of the two hedge funds that were loaded to the gills with collateralized debt obligations and then went belly-up in July.
解说: 资方, 对冲基金的大本营, 其对冲基金充斥着(loaded to the gills)担保债务凭证于是在七月生意倒闭(to go belly-up).

09. Housing led the US economy's first decline. Now the plunge in consumer spending—the worst in nearly three decades—augurs unpleasant quarters to come.
解说: 房屋市场带领美国经济第一次衰退. 现在消费者开支又大幅下滑—近三十年来最糟的—预兆将来数季(quarters to come)将是令人不愉快的.

10. I won't have it any other way. I didn't sign a new cell phone contract in lieu of a prepaid cell phone.
解说: 我不会采取其他办法(won't have it any other way). 我并非签了一个新手机合约来代替(in lieu of)一个预付的手机.

11. We take great care of our cars; we do not let our cars get to the point of breakdown. At the first sign of trouble, we take the car in for service.
解说: 我们很努力照顾我们的车辆(to take great care); 我们不会容许车辆到达毁损状态的地步(to the point of breakdown). 只要一见到问题出现( At the first sign of trouble), 我们就把车子送厂修理.

12. This may sound crazy but I want to build a vintage music system. Why? Because from all that I've read and seen, you get more bang for your buck and better sound than with a huge majority of the expensive new stuff.
解说: 这可能听起来疯狂(This may sound crazy)但是我要建造一套复古的音乐系统. 为什么呢? 因为从我所见闻的, 你所付出的钱可以得到最佳利用(to get more bang for your buck)而且音响品质比绝大多数昂贵新玩意还更美.
编者按: 这里的to get more bang for your buck也可以解释为物超所值, 物美价廉.

13. Here is a man who was so close to power he would come down with a cold if the President sneezed (and could have brought a lot of us literally down with him).
解说: 这是一位极接近权力核心的人, 如果总统打喷嚏的话他就会得到感冒(以及可能会把我们许多人一起拖下来).
编者按: 这里的to come down with a cold可以解释为感染上感冒.

14. Stepping into the boss's shoes for a day or two is no big deal but if you're taking over for a longer stretch there are a number of issues to keep in mind.
解说: 接替老板的职位(to step into someone's shoes) 一天或两天不算什么(no big deal), 但是如果你接掌职位很长一段时间(for a longer stretch)这里有几项事务你要记住(to keep in mind).

15. Well for one thing, people keep spouting bogus statistics and that really doesn't help.
解说: 一方面(for one thing), 有些人喋喋不休地扯一些不实的统计数字, 这实在于事无补.

16. She says her fellow students have treated her like one of the crowd and she appreciates that no one makes a fuss over her age.
解说: 她说她的同学对待她与其他人一样, 她感激没有人为了她的年龄小题大作(to makes a fuss over her age).

17. That person can also fill in for you when you're out of commission. The only trouble is, how do you retain such a person?
解说: 此人可以代你班(to fill in for)当你无法工作(be out of commission). 唯一的麻烦是, 你如果保留此人?

18. Don't give me that look; you know exactly what I mean. Go ahead, put a gardenia behind your ear if you have to.
解说: 别给我这个脸色(Don't give me that look); 你明明知道我是什么意思(to know exactly what I mean). 继续啊, 把一枝栀子花插在你耳后呀.

19. I never knew you were such an entertainer John! Then again, I don't really know you at all; for all I know, you could be a cross-dresser.
解说: 约翰, 我一直不知道你是这么利害的艺人呀! 不过, 话又说回来(Then again), 我一点都不了解你; 谁又知道(for all I know), 你也许是一个穿异性服装的人(a cross-dresser).
编者按: 这句话是一个很妙的讽刺言语, 希望网友把重要部分背下来.

20. You would become a pariah if you fall out with BP. People start to look at you differently. If you are seen as a whistleblower of some sort, you get shunned.
解说: 你可能成为众人厌恶者如果你跟英国石油公司决裂(to fall out with)的话. 人们会开始把你视为异类. 假如你被视为某种(of some sort)告密者(a whistleblower) , 人们会刻意回避你.
编者按: 这里的you get shunned本来是"你会被人们回避"之意, 但我感觉不顺口, 所以我改成"人们会刻意回避你".

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 395 访客