请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 19

帖子 royl » 周一 7月 19, 2010 6:44 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 19

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. Of course, I remain at your _______ should your require any further assistance.
02. So Kudos _______ him for his recent actions; but that in no way moderates his responsibility for his earlier corrupt actions with HUD.
03. Another witness, Anthony Hargrove, who is now in jail on an escape charge, testified Wednesday that Coles told him he shot and killed the victim and Davis was taking the _______ for it.
04. But the test does signal a ratcheting _______ of tensions between Beijing and Washington, and highlights the continuing paradox of a strategic rivalry between two of the globe's biggest trading partners.
05. You make good points. But bear in mind, Americans have to be paid minimum wage. A good strategy worth pursuing is to go _______ the employers who hire the illegals, and end the welfare system that rewards people for not seeking work.
06. Rice is not one to be told to back off without the other party paying a _______.
07. The survivors who lay divided had little to do with the internecine feuds and very little power _______ decisions made by their respective leaders.
08. The economy is suffering, and yet, Americans still refuse to _______ off on spending until they can buy and choose instead to take on more and more debt.
09. Despite her title and supposed control over the hive, some worker bees cheat _______ their queen by reproducing for themselves to prolong their own lives, scientists have declared.
10. It's quite clear that your fears and insecurities have wreaked some _______ in your social relationships.
11. I think you ought to act in a way to help your friend, not simply stand _______ and watch as someone criticizes her behind her back while speaking nicely to her face.
12. Either debtors just do not have the money to pay back their debt, or the money they do have is to cover their bare _______: food, shelter, and a car.
13. Even as a gun was pointed at John Holderby and his daughter, he _______ calm and tried to defuse the situation.
14. Before she buckled _______ to her own caseload, however, Kate dutifully dug up the detective in charge of investigating Mehta's death.
15. I guess I'd like to make clear that I'm willing to take that step and drag the school through the _______ if they don't guarantee my child's physical and emotional security.
16. My child has never picked a _______ in their entire life, this is possibly the most innocent and conflict-averse child in the state.
17. Employees who drop the ball seem all _______ common in today's workplace. Co-workers may be reluctant to deal with these concerns directly, fearing retaliation or conflict if they approach the offending colleague.
18. Nip things in the bud. Being a few minutes late once is no big deal. Being an hour late or being chronically late should be dealt with. Tolerating this behavior implies that it is okay _______ you that your co-worker is late.
19. It's really tight in this doorway. Easy _______ it and take your time.
20. I had a pair of leather boots and I absolutely loved them. However, you are correct, they do take some time to break _______ and that is rather frustrating.

(after, by, disposal, does, down, fall, fight, havoc, hold, in, necessities, mud, on, over, price, stayed, up, to, too, with)

royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 19

帖子 royl » 周三 7月 21, 2010 1:38 am

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找美国人经常使用的成语, 短语, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. Of course, I remain at your disposal should your require any further assistance.
解说: 当然, 我仍旧为您服务(to remain at your disposal)如果您需要进一步的协助.
编者按: 这里的should your require any further assistance与if your require any further assistance同义.

02. So Kudos to him for his recent actions; but that in no way moderates his responsibility for his earlier corrupt actions with HUD.
解说: 所以我赞扬(kudos to someone)他最近的行动; 但这决不(in no way)减轻他早先在住宅与城市发展部腐败行为的责任.
编者按: 这里的moderates his responsibility for …所用的moderates是减轻之意.

03. Another witness, Anthony Hargrove, who is now in jail on an escape charge, testified Wednesday that Coles told him he shot and killed the victim and Davis was taking the fall for it.
解说: 另外一个证人, 安东尼.哈尔格洛夫, 现在因为逃狱指控(on an escape charge)在服刑中(be in jail), 星期三作证指出科尔告诉他是他(科尔)射杀( to shot and kill)受害者以及戴维斯是替他(科尔)背黑锅(to take the fall for).

04. But the test does signal a ratcheting up of tensions between Beijing and Washington, and highlights the continuing paradox of a strategic rivalry between two of the globe's biggest trading partners.
解说: 但这个测试意味着北京与华府之间紧张情势的逐步升高(a ratcheting up), 凸显出世界两个最大贸易伙伴之间战略对抗(a rivalry between)的持续矛盾.

05. You make good points. But bear in mind, Americans have to be paid minimum wage. A good strategy worth pursuing is to go after the employers who hire the illegals, and end the welfare system that rewards people for not seeking work.
解说: 你说得很有道理(to make good points). 但是你要记住(to bear in mind), 美国雇员非得要以最低薪资给付. 一个值得执行的好策略是追查(to go after)雇用非法移民的雇主, 以及结束奖励不找工作(懒)人们的福利系统.
编者按: 这里的that rewards people for not seeking work中的people我翻译成(懒)人们, 意指许多美国人故意不找工作要政府来养他/她全家一辈子.

06. Rice is not one to be told to back off without the other party paying a price.
解说: 莱思不是一个被人告之少管闲事(to back off)而另一者不付出代价(to pay a price)的人.
编者按: 这句话是指莱思(美国前国务卿)不是一个好惹的人, 要她退到一边少管闲事可是要付出代价的.

07. The survivors who lay divided had little to do with the internecine feuds and very little power over decisions made by their respective leaders.
解说: 这些意见分歧(to lie divided)的幸存者跟族群之间的内斗(the internecine feuds)根本没关联(to have little to do with), 他们无权无势(to have very little power)根本管不了他们领导人所做的决定.
编者按: 请网友注意这里的(they had) very little power over decisions made by their respective leaders应解释成: 这些幸存者根本无法管得了他们自己领导人所做的决定.

08. The economy is suffering, and yet, Americans still refuse to hold off on spending until they can buy and choose instead to take on more and more debt.
解说: 经济越来越糟(economy is suffering), 但是(and yet), 美国人仍然拒绝抑制自己(to hold off)的消费直到他们可以购买及选择, 他们反而负担(to take on)越来越多的债务.
编者按: 这句话是指许多美国消费者不看经济情势的恶化, 只顾着花钱消费, 让自己债台高筑.

09. Despite her title and supposed control over the hive, some worker bees cheat on their queen by reproducing for themselves to prolong their own lives, scientists have declared.
解说: 尽管她的身份是蜂后, 本具有蜂巢的统治权(control over the hive), 有些工蜂却对它们的皇后不忠实(to cheat on)为了延长自己的寿命偷偷地繁殖自己的下一代.

10. It's quite clear that your fears and insecurities have wreaked some havoc in your social relationships.
解说: 这是相当明确的(be quite clear), 你的恐惧及不安已经给自己的社交关系带来严重的破坏(to wreak havoc).

11. I think you ought to act in a way to help your friend, not simply stand by and watch as someone criticizes her behind her back while speaking nicely to her face.
解说: 我认为你应该采取某种方式(in a way)来帮助你的朋友, 而不是只站在一旁(to stand by)冷眼旁观着别人在背后(behind her back)批评她而在她面前(to her face)却和颜乐色.

12. Either debtors just do not have the money to pay back their debt, or the money they do have is to cover their bare necessities: food, shelter, and a car.
解说: 债务人要不是没钱偿债(to pay back)他们债务, 就是有少量钱只能应付最基本的需要(bare necessities): 食物, 住宿, 与代步的车辆.

13. Even as a gun was pointed at John Holderby and his daughter, he stayed calm and tried to defuse the situation.
解说: 即使在一把枪对准着(be pointed at)约翰.贺得比和他的女儿时, 他仍保持平静(to stay calm)并试着平息危险状况(to defuse the situation).

14. Before she buckled down to her own caseload, however, Kate dutifully dug up the detective in charge of investigating Mehta's death.
解说: 在她全力以赴地处理(to buckle down)她自己的案件(caseload)之前, 凯特尽职地挖掘(to dig up)过去曾承办(in charge of)马它死亡案的警探.

15. I guess I'd like to make clear that I'm willing to take that step and drag the school through the mud if they don't guarantee my child's physical and emotional security.
解说: 我想我要把话说清楚(to make clear)我愿意采取步骤(to take step)将校方加以污蔑(to drag … through the mud)如果他们不保证我小孩的身体与情绪安全.

16. My child has never picked a fight in their entire life, this is possibly the most innocent and conflict-averse child in the state.
解说: 我的小孩一辈子从来不曾挑衅打架(to pick a fight), 这可能是全州里最无辜与最不愿冲突的小孩(conflict-averse child).

17. Employees who drop the ball seem all too common in today's workplace. Co-workers may be reluctant to deal with these concerns directly, fearing retaliation or conflict if they approach the offending colleague.
解说: 在职场, 员工失职犯错(to drop the ball)是稀松平常的事情(to seem all too common). 同事们可能不愿意直接地去面对(to deal with)这些问题, 他们(同事)惧怕如果接触犯错的同事会引发的冲突与报复.

18. Nip things in the bud. Being a few minutes late once is no big deal. Being an hour late or being chronically late should be dealt with. Tolerating this behavior implies that it is okay with you that your co-worker is late.
解说: 防患未然(to nip things in the bud). 只迟到几分钟的一次不是什么了不起的问题(be no big deal). 迟到一个钟头或长期的迟到则须要对付. 容忍这种行为则暗示你可以接受(be okay with)你同事的迟到.
编者按: 这里的nip things in the bud除了解释为防患未然之外, 也可以解释为把问题消灭在萌芽阶段.

19. It's really tight in this doorway. Easy does it and take your time.
解说: 这个门口实在太窄. 你要小心从事(Easy does it)慢慢来(to take your time).
编者按: 这里的take your time除了解释为慢慢来之外, 也可以解释为别急燥行事.

20. I had a pair of leather boots and I absolutely loved them. However, you are correct, they do take some time to break in and that is rather frustrating.
解说: 我曾经有一双皮靴, 我极为喜爱它们. 但是, 你是对的, 它们需要时间(to take some time)来逐渐适用(to break in), 这比较令人头疼(rather frustrating).

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 415 访客