请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 20

帖子 royl » 周四 7月 22, 2010 3:36 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 20

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. It's a tall order. China's aspiration to build the best universities in the world will take a long time to come to ______.
02. But, that isn't always the ______. Just as any other part of the debt elimination journey, setbacks can appear at the end as easily as the start.
03. Don't cash the check. It is a scam. Your sister will be liable ______ the face value of the check, overdraft and bounced check fees, and damages.
04. To add to the mystery of it all, a journalist trying to get the scoop on the disappearance of one of the characters is threatened for reasons ______.
05. The man seemed at his ______ end. I couldn't tell exactly what he was saying, but it seemed clear he had been in line for some time.
06. Fujitsu plans to boost investment in cloud computing ______ 54 percent this year to beef up its operations in one of the IT sector's hottest areas.
07. Meanwhile, back at the farm. With four additional mouths to feed, we were all expected to ______ our own load.
08. I was not yet ten when I was first made aware of the feminist movement and my mother didn't have much ______ for that type of thing.
09. But not for long. In a ______, my Syrian friends, who had been smoking outside, stormed onto the bus, practically apoplectic, and shouting with rage.
10. Point well ______. But sometimes simplicity is the best way.
11. Why don't you knock it off with perpetuating the lie that everyone needs someone to boss them ______ and steal their property?
12. Don't get me wrong, there have been a few decent horror flicks here and there over the last few years but they were very few and far ______.
13. Duly ______. I have used them myself, but only while wincing at my own inability to convey the importance of a discovery in other terms.
14. But while both organizations are committed to developing talent, that wish is sometimes at odds ______ the financial realities of fielding a professional team.
15. John gets in his car and drives away, shouting, "Better luck next time!" over his ______, and leaving Tom stranded in the middle of nowhere.
16. Unless you're a hardcore aficionado or player trying to bone ______ on strategy, watching chess on TV is simply a stupid idea. Go play instead!
17. After playing second fiddle to Lifetime for so long, John just can't stand it any longer and is pulling out the trump card of last ______.
18. So every 30 seconds for the last half an hour shots have boomed out across the valley, loud enough to ______ the dead in the cemetery two kilometers away.
19. It feels as if I've been working out only I haven't moved a ______.
20. When we fail to plan, we are planning to fail; but at times, you just need to ______ the bridge when you come to it.

(around, between, by, case, cross, for, fruition, heartbeat, muscle, noted, pull, resort, shoulder, taken, unknown, up, use, wake, with, wits')

royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 20

帖子 royl » 周六 7月 24, 2010 6:46 pm

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找美国人经常使用的成语, 短语, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. It's a tall order. China's aspiration to build the best universities in the world will take a long time to come to fruition.
解说: 这是一个艰巨任务(a tall order). 中国渴望建立世界最好的大学将需要长时间(to take a long time to)实现目标(to come to fruition).

02. But, that isn't always the case. Just as any other part of the debt elimination journey, setbacks can appear at the end as easily as the start.
解说: 但是, 这并非都是这样的(isn't always the case). 就像任何其他消除债务历程一样, 挫折可以轻易出现在开头或结尾的某一部分.

03. Don't cash the check. It is a scam. Your sister will be liable for the face value of the check, overdraft and bounced check fees, and damages.
解说: 别去兑现支票(to cash the check). 这是一个骗局(a scam). 你姐/妹将要负责偿还(be liable for)支票的面额, 透支及退票手续费, 以及赔偿损失.
编者按: 在这里, be liable for damages要解释为赔偿损失.

04. To add to the mystery of it all, a journalist trying to get the scoop on the disappearance of one of the characters is threatened for reasons unknown.
解说: 为了增加其全面的神秘性(to add to the mystery of it all), 一个记者试图取得某人物失踪的独家消息(to get the scoop on)却不知为何原因(for reasons unknown)受到威胁.

05. The man seemed at his wits' end. I couldn't tell exactly what he was saying, but it seemed clear he had been in line for some time.
解说: 此人似乎无计可施(at his wits' end). 我无法听懂他在说什么, 但似乎很明确(seemed clear)他已经排队(be in line)有一段时间(for some time).

06. Fujitsu plans to boost investment in cloud computing by 54 percent this year to beef up its operations in one of the IT sector's hottest areas.
解说: 富士通计画要增加百分之五十四(to boost … by 54 percent)的投资在云计算上, 加强(to beef up)其在资讯工业最热门领域(the hottest areas)的业务.

07. Meanwhile, back at the farm. With four additional mouths to feed, we were all expected to pull our own load.
解说: 同时, 言归正传(back at the farm). 要养活多出的四口人(four additional mouths to feed), 我们每人都被期望付出自己该出的力量(to pull our own load).
编者按: 在这里, back at the farm乃是一语双关的话, 既是指言归正传也是指谈到以前在农场的往事.

08. I was not yet ten when I was first made aware of the feminist movement and my mother didn't have much use for that type of thing.
解说: 我被提醒到(be made aware of)女权运动时我还不到十岁, 我母亲当时对这种事情根本不理不睬(to have much use for).
编者按: 在这里, didn't have much use for可以解释为用不着之意, 也可以解释为不当一回事.

09. But not for long. In a heartbeat, my Syrian friends, who had been smoking outside, stormed onto the bus, practically apoplectic, and shouting with rage.
解说: 但是没多久(not for long). 一瞬间(In a heartbeat), 我的一直在屋外抽烟叙利亚朋友疯狂闯上(to storm onto)公车, 冲动异常地愤怒叫骂(to shout with rage) .

10. Point well taken. But sometimes simplicity is the best way.
解说: 说得很有道理(Point well taken). 但是有时候简单就是最佳方法(the best way).

11. Why don't you knock it off with perpetuating the lie that everyone needs someone to boss them around and steal their property?
解说: 你能不能停止(to knock it off)没完没了的谎言, 什么每个人都需要被别人颐指气使(to boss them around), 被别人盗窃财产?
编者按: 这句话是制止胆大包天的说谎者还在不停地散布无耻的谎言.

12. Don't get me wrong, there have been a few decent horror flicks here and there over the last few years but they were very few and far between.
解说: 别误会我(Don't get me wrong), 过去几年来是有几个像样的恐怖电影, 但它们太稀少并且不常有(few and far between).

13. Duly noted. I have used them myself, but only while wincing at my own inability to convey the importance of a discovery in other terms.
解说: 你的方法受到应有的重视(Duly noted). 我自己也使用它们, 但只有在我畏惧(to wince at)我无法以另一种说法(in other terms)来表达某个发现的重要性时候才用.

14. But while both organizations are committed to developing talent, that wish is sometimes at odds with the financial realities of fielding a professional team.
解说: 但当两个组织都尽力地开发新人才, 却在指派专家小组上, 他们的意愿常常与财务现实有所抵触(at odds with).

15. John gets in his car and drives away, shouting, "Better luck next time!" over his shoulder, and leaving Tom stranded in the middle of nowhere.
解说: 约翰上车驶离, 回头(over his shoulder)叫喊着"希望你下次好运"(Better luck next time!), 把汤姆丢弃在一个前不着村后不着店的荒郊野外(in the middle of nowhere).

16. Unless you're a hardcore aficionado or player trying to bone up on strategy, watching chess on TV is simply a stupid idea. Go play instead!
解说: 除非你是个忠坚的酷爱者或玩家试图专心研究(to bone up on)策略, 看电视的西洋棋赛简直是个蠢主意. 自己下棋才是正途!

17. After playing second fiddle to Lifetime for so long, John just can't stand it any longer and is pulling out the trump card of last resort.
解说: 在Lifetime做了许久的副手(to play second fiddle), 约翰忍无可忍(can't stand it any longer)使出他的杀手鐗(to pull out the trump card)作为最后一招(the last resort) .
编者按: to pull out the trump card也可以解释为亮出王牌; the last resort具有万不得已情形下才使出的手段的意义.

18. So every 30 seconds for the last half an hour shots have boomed out across the valley, loud enough to wake the dead in the cemetery two kilometers away.
解说: 所以过去半小时每三十秒就有枪声响遍(to boom out across)山谷, 声音响亮地足以把两公里外墓园里的亡者吵醒(be loud enough to wake the dead).

19. It feels as if I've been working out only I haven't moved a muscle.
解说: 感觉上好像我一直在锻炼身体, 只是我从来就没动过一下(to moved a muscle).

20. When we fail to plan, we are planning to fail; but at times, you just need to cross the bridge when you come to it.
解说: 虽然我们未能计画, (意味着)我们计画去失败; 但有时候(but at times), 我们不如干脆抱着船到桥头自然直的态度(to cross the bridge when you come to it ).

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 396 访客