royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 1195

帖子 royl » 周五 5月 19, 2023 7:00 am

二十笔实用成语 1195

01. woman of ill repute, a
定义: 娼妓.
例句: The house is said to belong to a woman of ill repute. (据说这栋房子属于一名娼妓所拥有的)

02. woman/man of means, a
定义: 富裕的女人或男人.
例句: Her extravagant spending habits led everyone to believe that she was a woman of means. (她奢侈的消费习惯让大家都以为她是一个富裕女人)

03. woman/man of style
定义: 时髦的, 有格调的或有风格的女性或男人.
例句: Grace Kelly was remembered as a woman of style, substance, great beauty and great compassion. (葛蕾丝•凯利被人们怀念为一位风格优雅, 内外美兼备, 以及心怀慈悲的女仕)
图片
曾为美国奥斯卡影后, 摩纳哥王妃的葛蕾丝•凯利

04. women and children first
定义: 妇孺优先. (注: 意指灾难现场疏散的警示语)
例句: When it was conceived, the principle of "women and children first" was meant to uphold a sense of order and decency during disasters at sea. (在构思这个观念时, "妇女和儿童优先"的原则是为了在海上发生灾难时, 维护有秩序疏散的意识和人性道义)

05. wonder of wonders, a
定义: 奇迹中的奇迹; 出乎意料的梦想成真; 令人赞赏, 赞叹, 非凡的事情发生.
例句: Wonder of wonders, you're on time! It's a miracle! (令人想不到呀, 你居然准时到达! 真是一个奇迹!)

06. wonders will never cease!
定义: 奇迹不停发生啊! 真是令人惊奇啊! (注: 这句话既可以用来欢庆惊喜之事, 也可带有讽刺之意, 例如某人难得做了一件好事就可以用此句)
例句: "Honey, I cleaned the kitchen for you." "Wonders never cease!" ("亲爱的, 我帮你把厨房打扫干净了." "真是奇迹啊!")

07. won't be long
定义: 很快, 马上, 不会太久.
例句: Well, I'll sit here waiting. I hope she won't be long. (好吧, 我就坐在这里等待. 我希望她不会拖太久)

08. won't get you anywhere
定义: 于事无补; 对你没什么用或没什么帮助; (你这招)你不会得逞.
例句: Look, we can sit here arguing over who screwed up all day long, but pointing fingers at each other won't get us anywhere. (听着, 我们可以一整天坐在这里争论是谁捅出的漏子, 但互相指责也于事无补)

09. won't go near
定义: 拒绝进入; 不愿走近, 离得远远地.
例句: He won't go near a hospital. (他拒绝进医院)

10. won't hear a word said against someone/something
定义: 拒绝听到某人或某事不好的话.
例句: He's completely infatuated with Paula and won't hear a word said against her. (他深深地迷恋上了宝拉, 连一句说她不好的话都听不进去)

11. won't hear of
定义: 不允许, 拒绝容忍, 拒绝接受, 拒绝忍耐.
例句: "I'd like to pay for dinner to thank you for your generosity." "I won't hear of it, my boy! You are our guest." ("我想支付晚餐以感谢你的慷慨款待." "我不会让你破费的, 我的孩子! 你是我们的客人.")

12. won't hold up
定义: 站不住脚, 不能持续或维持下去, 不能得逞.
例句: Those cheap boots won't hold up through one winter. (那双便宜靴子撑不了一个冬天就会坏了)

13. won't tell a soul
定义: 守口如瓶, 不会告诉任何人.
例句: You can tell me your secret. I won't tell a soul. (你可以告诉我你的秘密. 我会守口如瓶的)

14. the wooden spoon
定义: [英国俚语]表现最差奖, 末等奖, 最后一名. (注: 以木勺来取笑, 颁给敬陪末座的竞争者)
例句: I don't expect to win, but I sure hope I don't get the wooden spoon! (我虽然不指望赢, 但我也不希望拿到最后一名!)

15. woof your cookies, to
定义: [俚语]呕吐.
例句: With the way that boat was rocking back and forth, I felt like I was going to woof cookies over the side at any minute. (这艘船摇摇晃晃成这个样子, 我觉得我随时都要跑到船边去呕吐)

16. word for word
定义: 一字不改地, 逐字地, 一字不差地.
例句: You don't need to translate it word for word. Just make sure it has the same meaning. (你不需要把它逐字翻译. 只要你确保它的原意没有被扭曲就好)

17. word has it
定义: 听说, 据说, 传闻说.
例句: Word has it you were fired for standing up to the boss in the production meeting. Is that true? (据说你因为在制作会议上顶撞老板而被解雇了. 有这回事吗?)

18. (one's) word is law
定义: 某人所说的话就像法令一样, 大家要服从.
例句: You better do it, or you know what'll happen. Mom's word is law. (你最好去做, 否则你知道会发生什么. 妈妈的话就是法律)

19. word is out, the
定义: 消息传出来, 众所周知.
例句: The word is out that you're seeing a shrink. Is it true? (有消息说你在看心理医生. 是真的吗? 注: 这里的shrink是心理医生或精神科医生的俗称)
图片
看心理医生

20. word of caution/warning, a
定义: 一句警告.
例句: It's a beautiful city, but a word of warning: street robberies are very common here. (这是一座美丽的城市, 但要警告你一句: 这里的街头抢劫经常发生)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 48 访客