royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 1229

帖子 royl » 周二 8月 15, 2023 11:35 am

二十笔实用成语 1229

01. it's better to give than to receive
定义: [谚语]施比受更有福.
例句: It is better to give than to receive, so we're going to donate these dolls to people who are less fortunate. (施比受更有福, 所以我们把这些娃娃捐赠给那些家境不富裕的人. 注:这里的形容词片语或短语, less fortunate, 我们可以解释成家境贫穷或家境不富裕)

02. early to bed and early to rise (makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise)
定义: [谚语]早睡早起使人健康, 富有以及有智慧.
例句: "Have another beer with us! Why do you go to bed at 9 o'clock every night?" "Because I get up at 5 am to tend the farm. Early to bed and early to rise." ("再跟我们喝杯啤酒吧! 为什么你每天晚上九点钟就睡觉?" "因为我早上五点起床要去照料农场. 早睡早起身体好.")

03. better the devil you know than the devil you don't (know)
定义: [谚语]熟悉却不愉快的环境毕竟还是比陌生的环境要好一些; 明枪易躲, 暗箭难防.
例句: "Why don't you quit your job if you're so miserable?" "Who knows if a new job will be any better! Better the devil you know than the devil you don't." ("既然你这么痛苦, 为什么不辞职呢?" "谁知道新工作是否会更好呢! 熟悉却不愉快的环境毕竟还是比陌生的环境要好.")

04. false friends are worse than open enemies
定义: [谚语]虚情假意的朋友比毫不掩饰的敌人还坏; 明枪易躲, 暗箭难防.
例句: "I don't know why, but Tiffany clearly hates me." "Cheer up, man. False friends are worse than open enemies." ("我不知道为什么, 但蒂芙尼显然很讨厌我." "看开点, 伙计. 虚情假意的朋友比毫不掩饰的敌人还更坏.")

05. he who laughs last, laughs best
定义: [谚语]最终得胜者笑得最开心.
例句: I've waited years for revenge for what you did to me, but he who laughs last, laughs best. Now, your entire empire is in tatters. (我已经为你对我所做的一切等了很多年才报得此仇, 但最终的胜利者笑得最开心. 现在, 你整个事业帝国已经垮台了)

06. he who laughs last, laughs longest
定义: [谚语]最后得胜者笑得最长久.
例句: He may have won this round, but I'm going to come back with a vengeance in the final. He who laughs last, laughs longest. (他也许赢了这一回合, 但我要在决赛中卷土重来. 最终的胜利者笑得最长久)

07. half a loaf is better than none
定义: [谚语]有一半总比没有好. (注: 意指虽然比想要的少, 但总比没有好)
例句: I know they're offering you less money than you'd hoped for, but at least it's a good job; half a loaf is better than none. (我知道他们给你的薪水比你所希望的要少,但至少这是一份好工作; 有一半总比没有好)

08. chance favors the prepared mind
定义: [谚语]有备无患; 机会是留给有准备的人.
例句: Chance favors the prepared mind. You never know when you're going to be put in a situation where you're called upon to act heroically. (机会是留给有准备的人. 你永远不知道什么时候你会被置于一个需要你英勇行动的状况)

09. money makes the world go around
定义: [谚语]金钱可使整个世界运转; 有钱好办事; 有钱可使鬼推磨.
例句: You may not like capitalism, but it's an unavoidable truth that money makes the world go round. (你可能不喜欢资本主义, 但金钱可使整个世界运转是个无可争辩的事实)

10. it's no use crying over spilt milk
定义: [谚语]木已成舟, 难过也于事无补.
例句: His decision to resign was disappointing, but it's no use crying over spilt milk. We need to concentrate on finding someone to replace him. (他辞职的决定令人扼腕, 但木已成舟, 难过也于事无补. 我们需要集中精力寻找替代他的人)

11. no one can make you feel inferior without your consent
定义: [谚语]没有经过你的允许, 没有人能使你自卑. (注: 此句话出自美国总统富兰克林•罗斯福的妻子埃莉诺•罗斯福)
例句: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. You are more powerful than you know, and you can achieve more than you think. (没有经过你的容许, 没有人能使你自卑. 你比你想像的更强大, 你所能成就的事情要比你想像的更多)

12. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
定义: [谚语]模仿是最诚挚的恭维.
例句: Honey, try not to get annoyed with your brother when he follows you around doing the same things you do. You've got to know, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. (亲爱的, 当你弟弟跟在你后面学着你做同样的事情时, 尽量不要生气. 你要知道, 模仿是最诚挚的恭维)

13. he that would eat the kernel must crack the nut
定义: [谚语]欲要吃果仁必先破其壳. (注: 意指世界没有不劳而获的事)
例句: I know it sounds scary to start your own business, but that's the only way you'll get to be your own boss. He that would eat the kernel must crack the nut. (我知道创业听起来很可怕, 但这是你成为自己老板的唯一途径. 世界没有不劳而获的事)

14. haste makes waste
定义: [谚语]欲速则不达.
例句: Haste makes waste, so please double-check your measurements before cutting the fabric. (欲速则不达, 所以裁剪布料之前, 请你复查尺寸. 注: 有一句谚语敦促我们要, "测量两次, 裁剪一次" 就是这个道理)

15. laughter is the best medicine
定义: [谚语]欢笑是最佳良药.
例句: I think the best thing for you right now would be to spend some time with people you can joke around with. Laughter is the best medicine. (我认为现在对你来说最需要做的事情就是花一些时间和那些你可以说笑的人在一起. 欢笑是最佳良药)

16. every man has his price
定义: [谚语]每个人都有可以买通的价码.
例句: Don't be discouraged, every man has his price, so we'll get him to help us eventually. (别沮丧, 每个人都有可以买通的价码, 所以我们最终还是有办法让他来帮助我们)

17. fight (one's) own battles, to
定义: 独力克服自己的困难.
例句: Mom, he's not a baby anymore. Let him fight his own battles. (妈妈, 他不再是个孩子了. 让他独力克服他自己的困难)

18. behind every great man, there's a great woman
定义: [谚语]每个伟大男人背后都有一个伟大的女人.
例句: As they say that behind every great man, there's a great woman, but I can honestly say that I would not be accepting this honor, without the support of my wife. (俗谚说, 每个伟大的男人背后都有一个伟大的女人, 但我可以诚实地说, 如果没有我妻子的支持,我便得不到这项殊荣)

19. every rose has its thorn
定义: [谚语]每朵玫瑰都有刺. (注: 玫瑰花虽美但有刺, 意指每件事都有利与不利的一面)
例句: "I can't believe the amount of taxes I have to pay on my lottery winnings!" "Every rose has its thorn, eh?" ("我简直不敢相信我要为我的彩票奖金支付这么多的税!" "每件事都有利与不利的一面, 对吗?")

20. in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
定义: [谚语]在盲人之国, 独眼人为王. (注: 意指一个才华能力有限的人在一群无能的人里头还是能够脱颖而出成为领导者)
例句: "How on earth did Joe get promoted to be head of his department? He's such a blunderer!" "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." ("乔到底是怎么被提升为部门主管的? 他真是个莽撞人!" "在盲人之国, 独眼人为王.")

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 332 访客