请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 21

帖子 royl » 周六 8月 07, 2010 11:51 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 21

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. Anecdotal evidence may not be on a scientific par with a double-blinded clinical trial, but it's valuable _______.
02. There's no way _______ it. At this stage flailing and blaming the messenger comes with the territory.
03. As luck would have it, a gamble pays off and gives this western Pennsylvania couple the chance to build the log home they've longed _______.
04. After two weeks on the couch, it was time to buck _______ and get on with his life.
05. Granted, I'm one of those people that often don't catch on to shows until they become _______.
06. Often, my friends and I will chip in or pay jointly for a fun night _______. When we go to restaurants the meal is Dutch treat.
07. Has credit card debt got you so discouraged that you don't know how you'll ever _______ a way out of financial trouble?
08. And at night, when the power would sometimes _______ out, I'd go out and stand on the porch and look up at the bright stars and envy them.
09. Nowadays money is a _______ and to replace a bathtub is costly and acrylic bathtub liners are defiantly a cost effective alternative.
10. I always get a _______ out of the people who post pictures of Ferraris, yachts, Rolexes and designer fashions on their MySpace pages as if it will mask the fact that they drive Geo Prisms, own boogie boards, wear Casio watches and shop at Ross.
11. On failing you get fretted and many types of questions are _______ up in your mind; and at the eleventh hour you take a decision to refrain from the college.
12. It's going to be a close call. TV critics have given the series ample love _______ the years, but awards ceremonies have not.
13. Having a background in law has come in handy. “The legal mindset is a way of _______ of complex issues in an organized and rational manner,” explained Clement.
14. If those factors are not present, then you're hanging on to something that is _______ to end. Don't prolong your pain and suffering, do something about it or make a clean break.
15. The Japanese want us to apologize for A-bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But will they apologize for Pearl Harbor? Fat _______!
16. When _______ have a flat tire, get stuck in the mud or snow or the engine simple won't turnover, they need to have a reliable company to call.
17. It is much tougher to _______ new ideas, to get that level of decision making where you can get the green light for a really interesting creative idea.
18. They say a community is only as strong as its _______ link, right? From the look of it, there are no weak links in this community.
19. "Until we get around to it, continue to pay $200 a month for 3 phones and crappy service." Service has deteriorated so much I often can't _______ calls from home.
20. Well, having said that, if he really wants to understand me more, how come he doesn't _______ contact?

(around, bound, chance, concern, cropped, find, flicker, for, initiate, introduce, kick, nonetheless, out, over, place, reruns, thinking, up, vacationers, weakest)

royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 21

帖子 royl » 周一 8月 09, 2010 9:21 am

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找美国人经常使用的成语, 短语, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. Anecdotal evidence may not be on a scientific par with a double-blinded clinical trial, but it's valuable nonetheless.
解说: 观察性证据(Anecdotal evidence)并不是在科学上等同(on a par with)双盲法临床试验(a double-blinded clinical trial), 但它仍然是珍贵的.
编者按: 这里的double-blinded clinical trial意指在实验中受验者及研究者都不知情的研究; 也就是比较客观, 比较超然的研究方式.

02. There's no way around it. At this stage flailing and blaming the messenger comes with the territory.
解说: 这是没法回避的问题(no way around). 目前(At this stage), 激动地指手划脚及指责送信者是意料中的事情(to come with the territory).
编者按: 这里的come with the territory也可以解释为不令人意外的.

03. As luck would have it, a gamble pays off and gives this western Pennsylvania couple the chance to build the log home they've longed for.
解说: 幸运地(As luck would have it), 一个赌局使这对西宾州夫妇得到回报(to pay off)并给他们一个机会建造一栋他们梦寐以求的(to long for)原木屋.
编者按: 请网友注意, 这里的As luck would have it可以解释为幸运地也可以解释为不幸地, 完全要看后文来决定.

04. After two weeks on the couch, it was time to buck up and get on with his life.
解说: 在沙发长椅躺了两个星期, 这正是振奋起来(to buck up), 继续过他正常的日子(to get on with his life)的时机(it was time to).
编者按: 这里的get on with his life虽然解释为继续过他正常的日子, 其隐意是不要使自己受到干扰或怀忧丧志而无法过正常的日子.

05. Granted, I'm one of those people that often don't catch on to shows until they become reruns.
解说: 我承认(Granted), 我就是那些经常不看(to catch on to)有些电视节目直到它们变成重播节目才看的人们之一.
编者按: 这里的don't catch on to虽然解释为不看, 其隐意是还没有喜爱这些电视节目.

06. Often, my friends and I will chip in or pay jointly for a fun night out. When we go to restaurants the meal is Dutch treat.
解说: 经常地, 我朋友跟我晚上出去玩(a fun night out)时候会凑钱(to chip in)或一起付钱. 当我们去餐厅吃饭时我们则各付各的钱(Dutch treat).
编者按: 这里的Often跟frequently同义.

07. Has credit card debt got you so discouraged that you don't know how you'll ever find a way out of financial trouble?
解说: 你是否碰到信用卡债让你沮丧, 让你不知道你如何找办法脱离(to find a way out)财务困难?

08. And at night, when the power would sometimes flicker out, I'd go out and stand on the porch and look up at the bright stars and envy them.
解说: 有些晚上, 当电力时有短暂中断(to flicker out)时候, 我会走出房子站在门口看天上的闪量星辰, 羡慕它们.

09. Nowadays money is a concern and to replace a bathtub is costly and acrylic bathtub liners are defiantly a cost effective alternative.
解说: 当今, 开支是一个大家较关心的事情(be a concern), 换一个新洗澡池是昂贵的, 但是压克力澡池衬底却是个敢于挑战地成本效益高的(be cost effective)替代办法.
编者按: 这里的money与其解释为金钱不如解释为开支; 等于紧守荷包之意. 另外, 压克力澡池衬底就是在洗澡池表面上铺上或喷上一层压克力保护衬底,这等于给澡池一个新的生命.

10. I always get a kick out of the people who post pictures of Ferraris, yachts, Rolexes and designer fashions on their MySpace pages as if it will mask the fact that they drive Geo Prisms, own boogie boards, wear Casio watches and shop at Ross.
解说: 我一直从人们上贴在"我的空间"网页上的法拉利汽车, 游艇, 劳力士表, 及高级服饰等照片找到乐趣(to get a kick out of), 好像这些人贴上这些照片就可以遮掩住他们开着便宜车, 使用短轻冲浪板, 戴着便宜表以及到"罗斯"购物的事实.
编者按: 这里的get a kick out of可以解释为以别人的怪异行为取得乐趣, 有点笑看人生的意味.

11. On failing you get fretted and many types of questions are cropped up in your mind; and at the eleventh hour you take a decision to refrain from the college.
解说: 当失败时(On failing), 你烦恼不堪, 各式各样的问题在脑海里层出不穷(cropped up); 在最后一刻(the eleventh hour)你要做决定是否要撤出(申请)大学.

12. It's going to be a close call. TV critics have given the series ample love over the years, but awards ceremonies have not.
解说: 这将是一个难下的决定(a close call). 过去多年来(over the years)电视节目评论家给予这个连续剧充分关爱, 但在颁奖典礼上他们可没有什么爱心.
编者按: 这句话的意思是, 虽然电视节目评论家对这个连续剧平常很友善, 但决定给予这个节目奖杯时却是公事公办.

13. Having a background in law has come in handy. "The legal mindset is a way of thinking of complex issues in an organized and rational manner," explained Clement.
解说: 具有法律背景迟早可以派上用场(to come in handy). 克里门特解释为: "法律思维模式是一种有组织, 有理性的思考复杂议题的思维方式(a way of thinking)"

14. If those factors are not present, then you're hanging on to something that is bound to end. Don't prolong your pain and suffering, do something about it or make a clean break.
解说: 如果那些因素不存在的话, 你所紧抓不放(to hang on to)的事物必然会(to bound to)结束. 不要延长你的痛苦与折磨, 你要想办法解决这个问题(to do something about it)或给自己一个崭新的转机(to make a clean break).
编者按: 这句话取自一个跟男友关系纠缠不清的女人所提出的问题时别人给予她的忠告.

15. The Japanese want us to apologize for A-bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But will they apologize for Pearl Harbor? Fat chance!
解说: 日本人要求我们为了原子弹轰炸广岛与长崎而道歉(to apologize for). 但是他们会为偷袭珍珠港道歉吗? 门都没有(Fat chance)!

16. When vacationers have a flat tire, get stuck in the mud or snow or the engine simple won't turnover, they need to have a reliable company to call.
解说: 当渡假者碰到漏气轮胎的问题(a flat tire), 被困在(to get stuck)泥淖或雪浆里, 或引擎根本不动, 他们需要一个可靠的公司求救.

17. It is much tougher to introduce new ideas, to get that level of decision making where you can get the green light for a really interesting creative idea.
解说: 引进一个新主意是非常困难, 要达到那个决策的程度你才可以取得许可(to get the green light)引进真正有趣味的创造性主意.

18. They say a community is only as strong as its weakest link, right? From the look of it, there are no weak links in this community.
解说: 人们说一个社团的稳固性只能跟最弱的一环一般(only as strong as its weakest link), 是吗? 从这上面来看(From the look of it), 这个社团没有弱点.

19. "Until we get around to it, continue to pay $200 a month for 3 phones and crappy service." Service has deteriorated so much I often can't place calls from home.
解说: "直到我们有机会做这件事(to get around to it), 我们还得要继续一个月付出两百块钱使用三只电话以及蹩脚服务" 这家电话服务已经恶化到我经常没法从家里打电话出去(to place calls).
编者按: 这句话里的get around to it其实是指说话者准备要以撤换电话公司来解决问题.

20. Well, having said that, if he really wants to understand me more, how come he doesn't initiate contact?
解说: 好了, 话是这么说(having said that), 如果他真想要更多了解我的话, 为什么他都不主动联络我(to initiate contact)?

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 397 访客