请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1767
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Book Review: McNally's Luck by Lawrence Sanders

帖子 royl » 周六 8月 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Book Review: McNally's Luck by Lawrence Sanders

Before I start this book review, I would like to have a little discussion about speed-reading. I know some of you, especially the young folks, were told that it is important to read at high speed because some of the qualifications exams that you are planning to take are jam-packed with reading questions. Nevertheless, the main purpose of reading is to absorb the knowledge. Let me put it this way, if you don't truly understand some of the material while you're glancing over them, then you're not reading the book, you're only browsing the book. In other words, you are not truly learning the material and then you are killing the purpose of reading which means understanding or comprehending the material. How do you learn something by not studying it thoroughly? Therefore, I suggest you read the book at least twice, fully understand the material on the first read; and then start a fast one on the second time. This way, we address the needs for both quality and quantity, and put things in proper order.

Sorry about the sidetrack, I just need to get the point out of my chest since I feel strongly about this. Mr. Lawrence Sanders is one of the authors I revere. His free-flowing literary style sprinkled with witty banter and humorous remarks. Sometimes, I was overwhelmed with his theatrical repartee, I had to reread them in order to savor the wealth of jovial retorts presented and the insights into the characters of the book as well as the comical nature of the rich class naturally unfold during the telling of the story.

The main character, Archy McNally, of the McNally's series is a male vivant detective who works for the family law firm, McNally and Son. Archy, the son, is the sole member of the "Discreet Inquiries" division of the firm; his father Prescott McNally, the lawyer, is a stickler of the English tradition, Victorian not Elizabethan, and a devotee of Dickens. One thing worth mentioning is that Archy talks about clothing in details and spends more time in dressing despite his father's disfavor seeing his flamboyant, dapper, and quirky attire style from time to time.

This is the second book of the McNally's series written in 1992. The story starts with a spoiled cat (low on the popularity meter) which belongs to a customer, a cantankerous parvenu, of the law firm and has been kidnapped (or catnapped as Archy puts it). Coincidentally, another customer of the law firm also receives a death threat. Archy, by comparing the ransom notes and death threat notes, suspects these two cases are related. As usual, Mr. Sanders' stories are not about fast tempo but about intertwined events running simultaneously to a dramatic convergence. The investigation steers Archy to a inscrutable fortune-teller, who leads Archy through a most entertaining séance. By putting heads together with the Palm Beach police detective Sgt. Rogoff (a closet opera aficionado), Archy unravels this twisted tale through a series of adulterous affairs.

What I like the book the most is not the intricate plot; it is the English language art that Mr. Sanders contrives. With a touch of his artistic wand, the author was able to transform a mundane detective story into a literary masterwork (well, at least in my humble opinion). I have read the book three times already and I'm still in awe of his ingenious writing style. I'm sure that he was gifted with the talent, but I'm also sure that he spent numerous hours practicing and perfecting the art. If you are interested in Mr. Sanders' personal background, you can read about him at the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Sanders. My cyberspace friends, we may not be able to master the language as freely as he did, but we can all learn a thing or two from him. Thank you for spending your time reading my review.

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 27 访客