请网友踊跃提出英语文问题, 或自己学习心得
回复
royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 22

帖子 royl » 周一 8月 23, 2010 1:57 pm

二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 22

Fill-in-the-blanks Instructions: Select the word listed on the bottom which best fills in each blank.
请选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一个空格内(二十道题目, 二十个选择, 每一选择只许使用一次)

01. The "Sex and the City" premiere at Radio City turned ugly Tuesday night as a ticket snafu left hundreds of fashionistas all dressed up _______ no place to go.
02. You'll get more sales and sign-ups by appealing to _______ than by appealing to logic.
03. That's all nice and _______, but what is Google Social Search, and how can you benefit from it?
04. Here are ten new vehicles that are as dull as dishwater on the surface, but deliver where it _______.
05. And believe it or not, much of the time we actually hit it _______. But the negatives simply outweighed the positives by too much.
06. I usually turn in at midnight but he hits the sack at the _______ of dawn.
07. Do not hold him back. I don't understand why schools are still doing this when research has _______ it to be counterproductive.
08. The saying 'good things come in small packages' holds good for this excellent _______ TV set.
09. How did it go? My husband calls his mom once a week and he _______ like he is dying on the phone. He says nothing just "Fine. Good. Ok."
10. If it does not live _______ to your expectations, you can always give it back within 60 days and get refunded. How does that sound to you?
11. When you drink an alcoholic beverage, you are consuming the excrement of yeast—how does that _______ you?
12. After some hours of rough travel, I feel the call of _______. After all, a man has to do what a man has to do.
13. Sean held up a _______ to him and said to Jimmy, "I'm losing you here." "You are? If we got in that car, life would have been a very different thing."
14. "Well, I say what I _______ and I mean what I say." It's not that the words are so eloquent and poetic, but it's the honesty and true love expressed in the simplicity of the lyrics.
15. Funny you _______ ask because I already had a post typed up on some advice I had given another lab owner wanting to bring home a second Labrador retriever.
16. Needless to say, she offended me and millions of other Christians. I don't know what went _______ her mind and why she would think that was cutting edge or even funny.
17. How on earth can my parents _______ everything they need? They saved money for retirement, but the cost of their health care is really high.
18. However when we habitually and obsessively rummage through our past experiences, dwelling _______ hurts and regrets which we perceive to have changed our lives for the worse, we often hope that 'sorting out' these experiences will make us better. Actually, it reinforces our depressive state.
19. Mike, honestly I have no _______ what you're talking about but at least you've phrased it in a very entertaining fashion.
20. I'm said: "You can trust me. I know what I'm doing." Being right isn't enough, she added. "If you have the best solution, the best idea, it does not matter if people do not _______ into your idea."

(afford, buy, counts, crack, dandy, emotion, grab, hand, idea, mean, miniature, nature, off, on, proven, should, sounds, through, up, with)

royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 二十道填充题考试, 明天宣布答案 22

帖子 royl » 周二 8月 24, 2010 12:37 pm

二十道填充题答案与解说

请网友注意, 你只能选择考卷底部所列出的最适当单字填写在每一空格(而且每个单字只能使用一次). 我花时间专门寻找美国人经常使用的成语, 短语, 句型来考验网友希望您经过考试来加强记忆. 我所选出的句子再实用不过了(I mean it), 希望网友不可错过这些学习机会, 也就是说每天抽一点时间来逛逛.

01. The "Sex and the City" premiere at Radio City turned ugly Tuesday night as a ticket snafu left hundreds of fashionistas all dressed up with no place to go.
解说: "欲望城市"在无线电城首映变为一个丑陋的星期二夜晚, 当售票出了问题使得数百位买不到门票的衣冠楚楚赶时髦者无处可去(left hundreds of fashionistas all dressed up with no place to go).
编者按: 这里的snafu是以下的字首所组成的字: Situation Normal All Fucked Up (Fouled Up).

02. You'll get more sales and sign-ups by appealing to emotion than by appealing to logic.
解说: 以情绪的诉求而非理性的诉求(by appealing to emotion than by appealing to logic), 你会取得更多的销售额以及更多的签约.

03. That's all nice and dandy, but what is Google Social Search, and how can you benefit from it?
解说: 这一切都说得不错(That's all nice and dandy), 但是什么是古歌社交搜寻, 你如何能从它那儿受益(benefit from it)?

04. Here are ten new vehicles that are as dull as dishwater on the surface, but deliver where it counts.
解说: 这里是十部车辆, 别看它们外表平淡无奇(as dull as dishwater), 但是它们在重要性能上毫不含糊(deliver where it counts).
编者按: 这里的deliver where it counts也可以解释为: 在重要性能上不负所望.

05. And believe it or not, much of the time we actually hit it off. But the negatives simply outweighed the positives by too much.
解说: 信不信由你(believe it or not), 大部分时间其实我们相处得很投缘(hit it off). 但是我们之间负面性远超过正面性.
编者按: 这里的the negatives simply outweighed the positives by too much也可以解释为: 我们之间不兼容性远超过兼容性.

06. I usually turn in at midnight but he hits the sack at the crack of dawn.
解说: 我平常在午夜入眠(turn in), 但是他在黎明(at the crack of dawn)才睡觉(hits the sack).
编者按: 这里的at the crack of dawn也可以解释为: 破晓时分.

07. Do not hold him back. I don't understand why schools are still doing this when research has proven it to be counterproductive.
解说: 别阻碍他的进步(hold him back). 我不明白为什么有些学校还在做这种事情, 虽然研究结果显示出这是起反作用的方法.
编者按: 这里的when跟although同义, 可以解释为: 虽然.

08. The saying 'good things come in small packages' holds good for this excellent miniature TV set.
解说: 人们说, 好东西都是精妙小巧的(good things come in small packages), 对这台迷你电视机来说是仍有道理的(holds good).

09. How did it go? My husband calls his mom once a week and he sounds like he is dying on the phone. He says nothing just "Fine. Good. Ok."
解说: 进行得如何? 我先生每周打一次电话给他母亲, 他他在电话中好像要死不活的样子. 他总是只说"好. 很好. 好的."

10. If it does not live up to your expectations, you can always give it back within 60 days and get refunded. How does that sound to you?
解说: 如果这件产品不符合你的期望(does not live up to your expectations), 你随时可以在六十天之内退货并取得退款. 你觉得如何?

11. When you drink an alcoholic beverage, you are consuming the excrement of yeast—how does that grab you?
解说: 当你饮用酒精饮料, 你其实是喝下酵母菌的排泄物—你听了之后感觉得如何(how does that grab you)?

12. After some hours of rough travel, I feel the call of nature. After all, a man has to do what a man has to do.
解说: 在数小时难受的旅游之后, 我感到内急(the call of nature). 毕竟(After all), 一个人该做的事还是要做的.
编者按: 这里的a man has to do what a man has to do可以跟前面的"内急"联合解释为: 该要去上厕所解决内急的事还是要做的.

13. Sean held up a hand to him and said to Jimmy, "I'm losing you here." "You are? If we got in that car, life would have been a very different thing."
解说: 肖恩举起手制止他(held up a hand to him)并跟吉米说, "我听不懂你的意思." (I'm losing you here) "你是说? 如果我们当时进入车子,我们的命运就可能完全不一样."

14. "Well, I say what I mean and I mean what I say." It's not that the words are so eloquent and poetic, but it's the honesty and true love expressed in the simplicity of the lyrics.
解说: "好吧, 我是实话实说, 我说到做到"(I say what I mean and I mean what I say). 并不是这些话流利动人和带有诗意, 而是这些话在歌词里表现出单纯的诚实与真爱.

15. Funny you should ask because I already had a post typed up on some advice I had given another Lab owner wanting to bring home a second Labrador retriever.
解说: 你问得真巧(Funny you should ask)因为我已经打好了一篇帖文有关于另外一个拉不拉多狗主人想要领养第二条拉不拉多猎犬的建议.
编者按: 这里的Funny you should ask可以解释为: 你问得真巧, 你问得真是时候, 你问得真好.

16. Needless to say, she offended me and millions of other Christians. I don't know what went through her mind and why she would think that was cutting edge or even funny.
解说: 当然(Needless to say), 她冒犯了我以及数百万计的其他基督徒. 我不明白她在思考时(went through her mind), 凭什么她认为这是先进的或什至于这是有趣的.
编者按: 这里的Needless to say也可以解释为: 不言而喻地. 另外, 这里的went through her mind也可以解释为: 掠过脑海.

17. How on earth can my parents afford everything they need? They saved money for retirement, but the cost of their health care is really high.
解说: 究竟(How on earth)我父母如何能买得起他们需要的一切东西? 他们为了退休而储蓄, 但是健康保险价格也实在太昂贵.
编者按: 这句话主要的意思是他父母能够买得起健康保险这件事令他不解.

18. However when we habitually and obsessively rummage through our past experiences, dwelling on hurts and regrets which we perceive to have changed our lives for the worse, we often hope that 'sorting out' these experiences will make us better. Actually, it reinforces our depressive state.
解说: 但是当我们习惯性地与无节制地一一回想(rummage through)过去的旧事, 徘徊在(dwelling on)我们认为把生命推入厄运的往日伤害或悔恨, 我们常常希望能够把这些经历'理出个头绪'(sorting out)如此才会使我们有所改善. 其实, 这只会更增强我们郁闷的心理状态.

19. Mike, honestly I have no idea what you're talking about but at least you've phrased it in a very entertaining fashion.
解说: 麦克, 老实说, 我根本不知道(have no idea)你在说什么, 但是起码你以趣味性的风格表达出你的言语.

20. I'm said: "You can trust me. I know what I'm doing." Being right isn't enough, she added. "If you have the best solution, the best idea, it does not matter if people do not buy into your idea."
解说: 有人告诉我: "你可以信任我. 我知道我在做什么."(You can trust me. I know what I'm doing.) 作为正确的是不够的, 她说. "如果你有最良善的解决方案, 最优秀的主意, 如果别人不接受你的想法(do not buy into your idea)还是枉然"

(本论坛文章欢迎网友转载, 请标明文章来源)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 197 访客