royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 17

帖子 royl » 周六 1月 08, 2011 12:11 am

二十笔实用成语 17

01. after a fashion
定义: 勉强地, 差不多, 不是太好或完全地.
例句: That's true after a fashion, although I don't believe all meat is bad for you. (这算是勉强对的, 尽管我不认为所有的肉食都对你身体不好)

02. after a sort
定义: 勉强地, 差不多, 不是太好或完全地.
例句: On Sunday mornings, he battles the snooze button, and sings, after a sort, in his church choir. (在星期天早上, 他一直想多睡一点, 在教会诗班里他也勉勉强强地唱诗歌)
注: 在此battles the snooze button是一个传神的从句也就是不停地按闹钟的暂停键, 因为他想多睡一点.

03. after a while
定义: 不久, 过了一会儿, 片刻后.
例句: You will learn the subtle difference after a while. (过了一会儿, 你就会学到微妙的差距)

04. after all
定义: 毕竟, 终究.
例句: Will you help me with English? After all, I helped you with math. (你可不可以帮我学英语? 别忘了我毕竟以前曾帮你学数学)

05. after all is said and done
定义: 说到底, 毕竟, 归根究底.
例句: After all is said and done, Tom is the one who ultimately has to make the choice to do it or not. (归根究底, 汤姆才是最后要决定是否要做这件事的人)

06. after death, the doctor
定义: 太迟的服务或帮助; 提供别人已经不需要的服务或帮助. (例如: 病人已经死了医生才来)
例句: Though it was like after death, the doctor for the President did the commendable thing though it may be hind knowledge. (尽管太迟了, 总统的医生虽然可能事后知悉才做了这件可赞扬的事)

07. after hours
定义: 正常营业后/下班后的时间.
例句: If you require urgent health care after hours or on weekends you can go to a walk-in clinic or the emergency department our hospital. (如果你需要下班后或周末的紧急医疗, 你可以直接去不须预约的诊所或是来我们医院的急救部门)

08. after meat, mustard
定义: 太迟的服务或帮助; 提供别人已经不需要的服务或帮助. (例如: 肉已经吃完了才供应芥末酱)
例句: After meat, mustard, I have now no longer need of it. (太迟了, 我现在不需要它了)

09. after one's own heart, be
定义: 衷心喜欢的, 钟爱的, 正合心意的.
例句: Charlyne's pursuit to discover the nature of love takes on a fresh new urgency when she meets a boy after her own heart. (当她遇到一个符合她心意的男孩, 夏琳的追寻爱的本质, 开始有了一个全新的急迫感)

10. after the dust settles
定义: 尘埃落定后地, 当事情平静下来地.
例句: The most critical needs after a disaster are not apparent until after the dust settles. (灾难之后的紧要需求只有等事情平静下来后才会明朗)

11. after the fact
定义: 事后, 事件之后, 犯罪之后.
例句: It wasn't that long ago that an Argentine General was convicted for War Crimes against his own people, thirty years after the fact. (不久以前一位阿根廷将军在犯罪三十年之后被判决对自己人民的战争罪行)

12. after the news came out
定义: 消息传开来之后.
例句: I meant to write about this right after the news came out but I got sidetracked with the election drama. (消息传开来之后, 我本来要写一些有关此事的文章, 但是我的注意力被转移到选举戏的剧上)

13. After you.
[礼貌语]你先; 请先.

14. after-hours club, an
定义: 比一般同业开到更晚的俱乐部.
例句: Many have been dancing for hours now, and with no intention of stopping, head to another after-hours club that opens its doors at dawn to a teeming mass of revelers. (许多人已经跳了好几个钟头舞, 不想停止下来, 他们跑到另一个给众多寻乐者开到清晨的夜总会)

15. afterlife, an
定义: 来生, 下辈子; 下半生, 下半辈子.
例句: Reincarnation refers to an afterlife concept found among Hindus, Buddhists, etc. (轮回转世涉及有关来世的概念存在于印度教, 佛教等信仰)

16. afters
定义: [英国]甜点.
例句: This is my favorite desert, chocolate cake is a really good desert for afters. (这些是我喜欢的甜点, 巧克力蛋糕真是个好的甜点)

17. after-sales service/maintenance
定义: 售后服务/维修.
例句: Car manufacturers are increasingly focusing on expansive after-sales maintenance facilities to hook customers. (汽车制造商越来越重视扩充售后维修的设备来吸引客户)

18. after-school activities/programs
定义: 下课后/课余/放学后的活动/节目.
例句: After school activities vary from school to school and include both academic and extracurricular programs. (下学后的活动因不同学校有所不同, 它们包括学业跟课外的活动)

19. again and again
定义: 一而再, 再而三地, 一次又一次地.
例句: I know you talk about me behind my back all the time again and again. (我知道你在我背后一直地, 再三地谈论我)

20. against (all) expectations
定义: 出乎意料或预期之外.
例句: But against all expectations, he wasn't punished for his flagrant violation of the law. (但是出乎意料之外的是, 他居然没有因为他的公然违法受到惩罚)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 59 访客