royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 18

帖子 royl » 周一 1月 10, 2011 10:26 pm

二十笔实用成语 18

01. against all odds
定义: 不顾一切重重困难地, 甘心去冒险犯难地.
例句: Many people are struggling to survive against all odds and too often without even recognizing their own strengths and abilities. (许多不顾一切重重困难奋斗求生者在绝大多数情况下居然没有意识到自己的力量与能力)

02. against one's better judgment
定义: 不甘心情愿地, 并非本意地; 明知故犯.
例句: A person would never choose to act poorly or against his better judgment; actions that go against what is best are only a product of being ignorant of facts or knowledge of what is best or good. (一个人决不会故意表现差劲或明知故犯; 做错事情只因对事实无知或利弊不分)

03. against one's will
定义: 违心地, 不得已地, 被强制地.
例句: I came into this world against my consent, and I will leave this world against my will. (没有经过我的同意, 我来到这个世界; 我愿意被强制离开这个世界)

04. against someone's advice
定义: 不顾某人的劝告, 违抗某人的忠告.
例句: Regarding slander, this post began as a result of your criticism against my advice regarding personal life and the not-so-subtle insinuation. (谈到有关毁谤, 这个贴文是因为你不顾我的劝告, 进而批评有关我的私人生活与明目张胆的影射所造成的)

05. against someone's will
定义: 强制某人地, 违抗某人意愿地, 不顾某人意愿地.
例句: Rosie knew the girls and was being bullied by them although it doesn't seem like she was being held against her will. (尽管并没有显示出她被强制约缚, 柔西认识这些女孩, 也被她们欺凌)

06. against someone's wishes
定义: 违背某人的意愿, 不甘心情愿地, 并非本意地, 被强制地.
例句: John's wife quits him against his wishes, and continues to live apart from him although he is willing and wishes to receive her back. (尽管他愿意接纳她回家, 约翰的妻子弃他不顾, 而且还继续跟他分开生活)

07. against the advice of ...
定义: 不听...劝告.
例句: Discharge Against Medical Advice, is a term used with a patient who checks himself out of a hospital against the advice of his doctor. (违反医生劝告自行离院是一个使用在病人不顾医生劝阻自行办理出院手续的术语)

08. against the backdrop of ...
定义: 在...背景或环境下, 以...为背景.
例句: Against the backdrop of a spreading financial crisis, economic growth remains strong in many developing countries, especially in Asia. (在日益蔓延的财务危机环境下, 许多开发中国家, 尤其在亚洲, 仍然维持经济成长)

09. against the clock
定义: 加紧赶工, 分秒必争, 抢在某一时刻前完成工作.
例句: I'm running against the clock here on this project. The architectural drawings are due next week. (我现在加紧赶工做这个工作项目. 这个建筑设计图必须要在下个星期交出)

10. Age before beauty.
定义: [幽默语]敬老尊贤; 让年长者优先.
例句: "Age before beauty," she said as she opened the door for me. (当她为我开门时候她说"敬老尊贤")

11. age of majority, the
定义: [法律术语]成年岁数, 有投票权及有签署合约权的年龄.
例句: Dad said that when I reach the age of majority, I can buy my own car. (爸爸说当我到了合法成年的年龄, 我可以买自己的车)

12. agent provocateur, an
定义: 卧底挑唆煽动者. 到对手阵营卧底的人意图挑唆别人犯罪, 煽动别人闹事.
例句: The government used agents provocateurs to try to undermine the opposition party. (政府使用卧底挑唆煽动者来破坏反对党)

13. ag-fay, an
定义: [不尊重语]男同性恋者.
例句: Steve was amusing when he was a diabolical genius, but now he's just an ag-fay. (当斯帝夫以前还是个邪恶天才的时候他很有趣味, 但是他现在是个同性恋者)

14. aggravated assault, an
定义: [法律术语]严重人身伤害.
例句: Jack pleaded no contest to aggravated assault for beating his then-pregnant wife, with a bed post. (杰克对严重人身伤害的指控提出无争议, 他以床柱子殴打当时怀孕的妻子)

15. agitprop, an
定义: 政治煽动宣传.
例句: I wrote about McCain's links to this GOP agitprop arm in April — when he called Bush "a president who dares to work for the best". (当麦肯宣称布什是"一位敢于力求完善的总统", 我曾写了有关他跟共和党煽动宣传部门勾结的文章)

16. agonize over ..., to
定义: 为了...痛苦, 折磨, 争扎; 苦思对策.
例句: Quite often, when parents stop agonizing over a problem, when they accept their powerlessness, the problem begins to improve. (往往当父母不再为了某个问题费尽心思, 当他们接受他们的无力感的时候, 这个问题才开始有进展)

17. agony aunt, an
定义: 心理问题咨询者, 报纸专栏作家专门给予私人问题提出意见或忠告.
例句: A jailed mafia boss acted as an agony aunt to his foot soldiers while in prison by sending them letters advising them on their sex lives. (一个黑帮老板充当他喽啰的心理问题咨商者, 他寄出信函给予他们性生活的建议)

18. agony column, an
定义: 报纸私人广告栏. (例如: 寻人, 离婚启事, 私人信息)
例句: Since he cannot communicate with her direct, he has recourse to the agony column of a paper. (既然他不能跟她直接交谈, 他只有诉诸在报纸的私人广告栏留言)

19. agoraphobia, an
定义: [医学术语]场所恐惧症.
例句: The severity of agoraphobia varies enormously between sufferers from those who are housebound to those who can travel specific distances within a defined boundary. (场所恐惧症的严重性介于根本不能离家的患者跟只能在某一限定距离游走的患者, 这两者之间的差别很大)

20. agree on/upon, to
定义: 取得协议或一致意见.
例句: We couldn't put into writing what we agreed on verbally. (我们无法把口头协议写成文件)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 53 访客