回复
royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 35

帖子 royl » 周日 1月 30, 2011 2:29 pm

二十笔实用成语 35

01. an end in itself, be
定义: ...的本身就是目的. (注: 意指你做某件事是因为你愿意去做而不是借此来达到其他的目的)
例句: Memorizing facts can become an end in itself and not a way of understanding something. (熟记事实可以本身就是个目的, 但这并不是一个去了解某件事情的方法)

02. an honest day's pay for an honest day's job
定义: 辛勤工作后得到应得的工资.
例句: All I've ever wanted was an honest day's pay for an honest day's work. (我所要求的是, 我辛勤工作后得到应得的工资)

03. an oldie but a goodie, be
定义: 虽老犹好. (注: 常指令人怀念的老歌)
例句: I'm going to kick things off with an oldie but a goodie, "Singing in the rain" by Gene Kelly. (我将要以一首令人怀念的老歌, 金.凯利所唱的"雨中曲" , 作为今天的开始)

04. an/per hour
定义: 每小时. (注: 意指以一小时为单位来计算速度, 收费, 薪资等等)
例句: Charging clients per project with a per hour charge if that project goes above and beyond the agreed upon package is an option that has worked well for me. (跟客户论计工作项目的费用时, 如果项目的工作量超越过双方同意的整套交易, 以钟头计费是一个相当可行的选择)

05. anal-retentive, be
定义: (个性上)极为要求整洁的, 正确的, 谨慎的; 吹毛求疵的.
例句: My anal-retentive brother keeps records of everything that happens in his life. (我这个吹毛求疵的兄弟把他生命中每件事情发生的记录都保存下来)

06. anchored in, be
定义: (比喻性地)扎根于, 根基于; 有实力或事实的基础.
例句: But despite the fantastical details in the Greek epic, a team of archaeologists has claimed the tale is anchored in truth. (尽管这个希腊史诗的细节荒诞不经, 一队考古学者声称这个故事确有事实的基础)

07. ancient history, an
定义: 古史, 众所周知的事, 不新鲜的事, 别人不想听到或不想谈论的往事.
例句: But this was ancient history to my father, and I don't ever recall him talking about it, except in the oral history I did with him just before he died. (但是这对我父亲来说是件不想谈论的往事, 除了我在他死之前所做的口述经历之外, 我从不记得他谈论过这件事情)

08. and a bad one at that
定义: (承接上句话)而且还是个糟糕的...
例句: The fact that Pasteur was a plagiarist, and a bad one at that, has been the subject of several extensive books. (事实上, 巴斯德是一个剽窃抄袭者, 而且还是个糟糕的抄袭者, 他一直是好几本全面性书籍所讨论的对象)

09. and a good one at that
定义: (承接上句话)而且还是个不错的...
例句: As long as you are a basketball player and a good one at that, you will surely qualify for a suitable scholarship program. (只要你是个篮球选手, 而且还是个不错的篮球选手, 你肯定会合格某一个适当的奖学金计画)

10. and all
定义: 诸如此类的, 以及其他一切, 等等. (注: 用来连接前文所提到的事物)
例句: What with the noise outside, the fire and all, we got hardly any sleep. (由于屋外的吵闹, 火警等等, 我们几乎无法得到一点睡眠)

11. and all that
定义: 诸如此类的, 以及其他一切, 等等. (注: 用来连接前文所提到的事物)
例句: He endured everything, insults and all that, without getting angry. (他容忍了每件事情, 羞辱以及其他一切, 而不动怒)

12. and all that jazz
定义: 以及诸如此类, 等等.
例句: When asset bubbles deflate, it is mostly the locals who pay, because local governments are the ones who have to pick up the pieces of failed banks, unemployment and all that jazz. (当资产泡沫破灭时, 大部分的本地人要付出代价因为本地政府要承受破产银行的债务, 失业, 及诸如此类损失)

13. and Bob's your uncle!
定义: [英国, 澳洲]这样子就好了. 这样就对了. (注: 教人如果做某事的结语)
例句: To make a ham sandwich, just put a piece of ham between two slices of buttered bread, and Bob's your uncle. (做一份火腿三明治, 你只要把一片火腿放在两片涂上牛油的面包里,这样子就好了)

14. and counting
定义: 还有更多的. (注: 原译为还在计算中, 意指还有更多的...要来)
例句: The federal government's fiscal year will draw to a close, leaving in its wake one of the biggest annual deficits in US history, two trillion and counting. (联邦政府的财政年度将要结束, 留下来的是一笔美国历史上最大的年度赤字之一, 两万亿以及还有更多要来的赤字)

15. and etc. vs. etc.
[易混淆字或片语]etc.是et cetera的缩写, 意思是以及其他, 等等, 也就是and others; 假如你用and etc.就是多余因为and etc.等于and and others, 所以etc.之前不可加and.

16. and everything
定义: 以及诸如此类, 等等.
例句: I like being out in the forest with all the birds and trees and everything. (我喜爱到户外的树林里逛逛, 那里有鸟, 有树, 等等)

17. And for you, Sir?
[餐厅用语](服务员问)那先生你呢?

18. and how!
定义: 极为, 很, 太; 当然! 没错! (注: 用来加强前述的想法并以惊叹语表达)
例句: Prices are going up, and how! (物价涨得太快!)

19. And morons we are not!
[成语句型]我们可不是一群弱智的人!

20. And off we went.
[成语句型]我们就这样出发了.

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 56 访客