royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 42

帖子 royl » 周日 2月 06, 2011 5:37 pm

二十笔实用成语 42

01. appear on the front page of the newspaper, to
定义: 刊登在报纸头版显著位置.
例句: Every so often, a gruesome murder appears on the front page of the newspaper, and then we all get horrified for a few months before the hype dies down. (常常一件凶残的谋杀新闻出现在报纸头版位置, 随后几个月内我们都受到恐惧的震撼直到惊悚作用平息下来为止)

02. appear out of nowhere, to
定义: 不晓得从哪里突然地冒出来, 无预警地出现.
例句: The man appeared out of nowhere from an area we had just driven through. We knew that no one was there. (这个人从我们已经开过的地区无预警地出现. 当时我们知道那个区块根本没有人)

03. appear to be, to
定义: 明白地显示出, 看起来好像是.
例句: The intravenous administration of aspirin appears to be a safe and effective way to treat hospitalized patients suffering from either severe headaches or migraines, new research indicates. (新的研究指出, 从静脉注射阿斯匹宁给剧烈头痛或偏头痛的医院病患显示出是个安全并有效力的治疗方法)

04. appeared in print, be
定义: (书/文件)被出版, 被发表.
例句: All selected poems have previously appeared in print and are readily available for purchase or through various public libraries. (所有被撷取出的诗词已经在先前被出版而且有现成的可以购买, 或者也可以经由公立图书馆租借)

05. appetite for, to have an
定义: 对...具有兴趣, 欲望或喜爱.
例句: At the same time, just over $290bn has been taken out of equity funds as investors have lost their appetite for the volatility of equity investments. (同时, 因为投资人对反覆无常的股市投资失去了兴趣, 所以刚好超过两千九百亿元的资金被抽出了股票基金)

06. apple of someone's eye, the
定义: 被某人视为珍宝, 掌上明珠.
例句: They will always remain the apple of her eye, and anything that is required to keep them out of harm's way will be expertly handled. (他们永远会被她视为珍宝, 任何有需要确保他们安全的事务都会被巧妙地处理)

07. apple pie, an
定义: 苹果派, 美国传统价值的表征或象征.
例句: The phrase, for Mom and apple pie, was the stock answer of American soldiers in World War II, whenever journalists asked why they were going to war. (每当记者问他们为什么参与战争时, 这条短语, 为了母亲和美国, 成为二战美国军人的标准答覆)

08. apple polisher, an
定义: [俚语]以拍马逢迎求回报的人. (注: 多指拍老师马屁的学生)
例句: Employers like to have one or two of his staffs to play politics and be an apple polisher. However, don't be overly excited over this. (雇主们总喜欢他们的一两个雇员玩弄权术跟逢迎拍马. 但是, 别做得太过火)

09. apple-pie order, be in
定义: 井然有序.
例句: I always put my desk in apple-pie order every evening before you leave. (我永远会在每晚离开之前把我的办公桌整理得井然有序)

10. applesauce, the
定义: 苹果酱汁, 胡扯, 废话.
例句: If any other reader finds me to be full of applesauce (or even just a little wrong), please correct me. (如果有任何读者认为我胡扯, 或什至有一丝毫错误, 请纠正我)

11. apply for ..., to
定义: 申请, 填写申请表.
例句: Fewer people applied for unemployment benefits last week, but not enough to reverse a downward trend that suggests employers will accelerate hiring in the coming months. (虽然上星期较少人申请失业救济, 但这不足以扭转一个下降的趋势并表明未来几个月雇主们会加速征聘人员)

12. apply oneself to ..., to
定义: 致力于..., 专心于…
例句: So continue to apply yourself to whatever you want to attain from life, and remember: never quit. (因此你要继续致力于你生命中所想实现的目标, 记住: 永不放弃)

13. appraisal of the pros and cons, an
定义: 利与弊评估, 收益与损害的分析与评估.
例句: We're thinking of emigrating to either Australia or New Zealand from the island of Jersey. I'd appreciate an honest appraisal of the pros and cons of emigrating to Australia. (我们正在想从泽西岛移民到澳州或新西兰. 我会感激一个坦诚的移民到澳州的利弊评估)

14. appraise vs. apprise
[易混淆字或片语]appraise(动词)评价, 鉴定, 估价; apprise(动词)告知, 通知.

15. appreciate in value, to
定义: 升值.
例句: Because American Pearl offers you perfectly clean pearls, you can rest assured that your pearls will hold their value and appreciate in value over time. (因为美国珍珠店提供您纯净的珍珠, 您可以放心这些珍珠将会保值并在未来升值)

16. approach it gingerly, to
定义: 小心谨慎地接近或着手处理.
例句: That is a type of novelty that is both precious and intimidating; you approach it gingerly, rather than rushing enthusiastically towards it. (这是一种新奇的事物, 既珍贵又令人畏惧; 你要小心谨慎地接近它,而不是热情地冲向它)

17. approval ratings, the
定义: 支持率, 赞成率.
例句: I believe you should check his approval ratings again, they're much lower than what you're saying overall. (我相信你应该再一次核实他的支持率, 这些支持率的数字比你所说的要全面性地低出很多)

18. April Fools' joke, an
定义: 愚人节的玩笑.
例句: If you had bothered to read the summary, this was an intentional April Fools joke that went wrong. (如果你早先花点时间阅读这篇摘要的话, 这是一件蓄意的愚人节玩笑所闹出的问题)

19. April Fools'/Fool's Day
定义: 四月一号愚人节.
例句: April Fools' Day tends to bring out the shenanigans in companies big and small; but every once in a while there are some real product. (愚人节往往会在大及小的公司里出现诈欺事件; 但是偶尔也会出现真实的产品)

20. apropos of ...
定义: 有关于..., 谈论到, 论及.
例句: Our quiz theme this month is apropos of February-the-Valentine-month. You can find answers at the end and don't let us catch you peeking. (我们这个月的临时问答主题是跟二月情人节月份有关. 你可以在底下找到答案, 别让我们抓到你偷看)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 51 访客