回复
royl
帖子: 1767
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 45

帖子 royl » 周二 2月 08, 2011 4:13 pm

二十笔实用成语 45

01. arm oneself with ..., to
定义: 以武器, 知识来装备或准备自己. (注: 意指准备好要战斗或比赛以求得胜利)
例句: You can uncover plenty about the car you want to purchase and arm yourself with data to help you negotiate from a position of strength. (你可以发掘许多有关于你想要买的车子资料, 以数据强化自己的立场来商议车价)

02. armchair critic, an
定义: 纸上谈兵者, 说三道四光说不练者, 放马后炮的人.
例句: I can't stand Wes. He's such an armchair critic. He's always giving out unwanted advice, but he can't even do his own job right. (我受不了卫斯. 他真是个纸上谈兵者. 他一直给别人不想要的意见, 但是他却无法做好自己的工作)

03. armchair quarterback, an
定义: 纸上谈兵者, 说三道四光说不练者, 放马后炮的人.
例句: It's amusing how people get on these blogs and play armchair quarterback when they don't know the first thing about police work. (真有意思看到人们在博客上扮演说三道四的角色, 但他们对警察工作却一无所知)

04. armed conflict, an
定义: 武装冲突.
例句: China opposes recruitment and use of child soldiers and other violations of the rights and interests of children in armed conflict. (中国反对征召与使用娃娃兵并且反对在武装冲突中违反儿童的权益)

05. armed forces, the
定义: 武装部队, 三军部队.
例句: Presently, the French armed forces are in transition to the pattern of an all-volunteer force. Conscription has been suspended from 1996/97 on. (目前, 法国武装部队正在转变为全自愿兵模式的过程中. 征兵制已经从1996/97年起被中止)

06. armed to the teeth, be
定义: 全副武装, 武器众出.
例句: In those days, pistols were single-shot, so a pirate had to carry many to be considered armed to the teeth. (在那个年代, 手枪只能发射一颗子弹, 所以海盗必须要携带许多手枪才能被视为全副武装)

07. armpit, the
定义: 腋窝; 贫民窟, 肮脏的/不堪入目的角落.
例句: Johannesburg's inner city is viewed by many, despite the many initiatives aimed at reviving her, as the armpit of Africa's economic hub. (尽管许多方案试图让她复苏, 约翰尼斯堡的内城区被许多人视为非洲经济中心的肮脏角落)

08. arms deal, an
定义: 军火交易, 武器买卖.
例句: It is widely believed that the massive $60 billion US arms deal with Saudi Arabia is directed against Iran. (众所周知跟沙特阿拉伯价值六千亿大规模的军火交易乃是针对伊朗的)

09. arms race, the
定义: 武器竞赛, 武力竞赛.
例句: A new arms race is underway—the development of robot weapons, although murderous humanoids like the Terminators of film fame may be many years away. (尽管类似著名电影终结者那样的凶残机器人仍需许多年才能造出,新的武器竞赛已经开始了—开发机器人武器)

10. arm-twisting
定义: 用人情施加压力以达到目的.
例句: Pakistanis have pledged "Never Again" and no amount of arm twisting will let Pakistanis give up their sovereignty. (巴基斯坦人已经发了誓"不容许再发生", 再大的压力也不会让巴基斯坦人放弃他们的主权)

11. around about
定义: [英国]大约, 接近, 大致估计.
例句: Having said that, right now we're having problems with budget, and that will cost us around about 38-thousand dollars to charter a flight up there and back. (话虽如此, 目前我们仍有预算的问题, 租用飞机往返将让我们花费大约三万八千块钱)

12. around and around
定义: 绕圈子地, 没完没了地.
例句: Without landmarks, people are naturally wired to walk around and around, rather than in straight lines, research finds. (研究发现, 如果没有地标的话, 人们受到与生俱来的驱动只会绕圈子走, 而不是按直线走)

13. around the bend
定义: 疯狂, 疯癫; 路上一个弯道或角落.
例句: Maybe I have finally gone around the bend, but it gives me something to do. Those who know me are laughing now, as they realize I am very rarely looking for something to do. (也许我终于疯狂了, 但它给我事情做. 那些了解我的人现在正嘲笑我, 因为他们知道我很难得给自己找事情做)

14. around the clock
定义: 全天候, 二十四小时.
例句: In the city of Moscow, emergency crews are working around the clock to restore hundreds of broken electric cable and are clearing the streets of fallen ice-coated trees. (在莫斯科市, 急救工作队员正全天候恢复断裂的电线跟清理街上的冻裂树枝)

15. around the corner, be
定义: 在拐角处, 在附近, 快要来的, 即将发生的.
例句: Another flu season is just around the corner although the H1N1 influenza pandemic has been officially declared over. (另一个流感季节即将来到尽管官方宣布大规模的H1N1流感已经结束)

16. around the horn
定义: 绕行南美洲底端的合恩角; [棒球术语]内野垒间互相传球.
例句: In the meantime, some vessels have been rerouted around the Cape of Good Hope in a bid to avoid the most dangerous waters around the Horn. (同时, 一些船只已被指派绕道好望角为了避免进入合恩角附近的极危险水域)

17. around the world
定义: 环绕世界, 遍布世界.
例句: A Swiss engineer wants to navigate around the world in a catamaran called Planet Solar, powered entirely on the sun's energy. (一位瑞士工程师想要以一艘称为太阳能星球的双体船航绕世界, 这艘船完全以太阳能驱动)

18. around three thousand dollars
定义: 大约, 接近三千美元.
例句: He told me the price averaged around three thousand dollars. You've got to be kidding me! At that price I might as well go the extra yard and buy a new hybrid battery replacement. (他告诉我这个价钱大约平均三千块钱. 这简直拿我开玩笑! 我还不如再加一点钱去买个全新混成电池取代品算了)

19. arouse the ire of, to
定义: 激怒某人.
例句: As per usual for John, he stays pretty tight-lipped about what's in store for his friend, Tommy, lest they arouse the ire of Sheena. (符合约翰一贯的作风, 他对即将发生在他的朋友汤米的事情三缄其口, 为得怕他们会激怒席娜)

20. arrive at a conclusion, to
定义: 得出结论.
例句: I have arrived at a conclusion that those who have a real life, friends and family, but would rather be online have very deep psychological issues they need to address. (我已经得出结论了, 那些真正过日子, 有朋友有家庭, 却宁愿上网的人需要好好地解决他们深层的心理问题)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 86 访客