royl
帖子: 1767
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 46

帖子 royl » 周三 2月 09, 2011 5:26 pm

二十笔实用成语 46

01. arrive at, to
定义: 经思考或讨论达成(决定或协议).
例句: We discussed the matter at length but failed to arrive at a decision. (我们长时间地详尽讨论这件事但无法达成决定)

02. arrow in the quiver, an
定义: 锦囊妙计, 达成目标的策略.
例句: So the Lockerbie case shows that as one arrow in the quiver of diplomatic pressure, a court case can in fact be a useful weapon in the fight against terrorism. (所以这个洛克比事件显示出做为外交压力的一个招数, 诉讼案件实际上是个对抗恐怖主义有效的武器)

03. arse, an
定义: [轻度不雅语]屁股, 蠢驴. (注: arse与ass同义, 可以通用)
例句: If you really want to do it get your arse into gear because it's not impossible but you will have to work harder than some people. (如果你想要做这件事你要加把劲地做因为这不是不可能的事但你要比别人更打拼些)

04. arse-crawler, an
定义: [俚语]奉承拍马之徒.
例句: It was a fun and very fine evening, but in one instance, I felt uncomfortable when an arse-crawler approached me with his tongue-in-cheek descriptions about me. (这是一个令人愉快美好的晚会, 只是有件事情, 当一个马屁精走近我时候拿一个低俗当有趣的对我描述让我感觉不自在)

05. article of clothing, an
定义: 一件衣物.
例句: It is possible to look at an article of clothing and identify the culture, the time, the region, and other detailed characteristics about the person who wore. (看见一件衣物就可以指认出穿衣者的文化, 在哪个时期, 在哪个地区以及其他的详细特质是可能的)

06. Artificial Intelligence (AI)
定义: 人工智慧; 人工智能.
例句: With our intuitive interface, you don't need any programming skills or an education in artificial intelligence to create realistic and entertaining chat bots. (以我们凭直觉的界面接口, 你不需要任何编写程序的技术或受过人工智能的教育来创造实用和有趣味的聊天机器人)

07. artsy fartsy/arty-farty
定义: 矫揉造作, 故作附庸风雅的.
例句: For many years, I have said people from all over the world come to Santa Fe to see the Wild West, and all they see is this artsy-fartsy bunch over there. (多年来, 我一直说从全世界来到圣达菲参观西部拓荒的人们, 他们所看到的只是这些矫揉造作的一群牛仔)

08. arty-crafty
定义: 矫揉造作, 故作附庸风雅的.
例句: The crowd is a little wanky, lots of make-up, platinum blonde's, smooth dudes, expensive brands mixed in with the pretentious arty-crafty crowd. (这群人有点矫揉造作, 大量的化妆品, 把头发染成银白的金发女子们, 油腔滑调的男子们, 贵重名牌跟附庸风雅的人群混杂其中)

09. as $100/inflation/price spike looms
定义: 当价格跳升到一百元/通货膨胀/涨价要来临.
例句: The US dollar may continue to plunge, gold may regain its safe-haven status as the risk of an oil price spike looms. (当原油涨价的风险将要来临时, 美元也许会继续下跌, 黄金也许会重新站上保值的地位)

10. as ... (adj形容词/adv副词) as
定义: [模式]以形容词或副词放在两个as中. 例如as big as he is, as quickly as you can, 等等.
例句: Every year around this time, an email circulates across the Internet speculating that on August 27th, Mars will look as big as the Moon in the sky. (每年在这个时候, 一个在互联网上流传的电子邮件推测在八月二十七日可以在天空上看见跟月亮一样大的火星)

11. as ... as all get out
定义: 很...(形容词), 非常...(形容词), 极...(形容词). (注: 与副词一样的修饰或强调形容词)
例句: It was cold as all get out at that Detroit game, and a pretty boring game to boot. (在底特律比赛时的天气冷的不得了, 除此之外, 这个比赛也很乏味)

12. as ... as can be
定义: 最...的, 极为... (注: 假如你想要一个蛋糕是as big as can be, 你要的是最大的蛋糕, biggest cake possible)
例句: The competition should make them cheap to buy, but not much cheaper than today's netbooks, which are as cheap as can be. (商业竞争应该使这些产品便宜地让人买, 但不能比目前的上网本还便宜,因为上网本已经够便宜了)

13. as ... as possible
定义: 越...越好.
例句: In a blog post, the companies say they did a lot of heavy lifting to make this process as simple as possible. (在一个博客的贴文里, 这些公司说他们做了许多幕后的工作才使这个处理流程越来越简单)

14. as ... as they come, be
定义: 很... (注: 意指形容某人, 事或物是很好或很坏)
例句: Designed by Boston designer Frank Roop, the house is as pretty as they come – a collection of serene neutral rooms with bits of beachy colors mixed in. (被波士顿著名的设计家法兰客.卢普所设计的, 这栋房子美的不得了– 集合了祥和中性的房间掺合着海滩的色彩)

15. as a counterbalance to ...
定义: 作为...的反制或抗衡.
例句: While he ostensibly serves as a counterbalance to the right-wing network's parade of neo-cons, any casual observer of his demeanor can easily infer that he is more middle-of-the-road than liberal. (尽管他表面上做为电视网上许多新保守派的反制人物, 任何外行观察者看到他的行为都可以推测出他比较中性而非自由派)

16. as a matter of course
定义: 理所当场地, 自然地, 照例地.
例句: I don't think the Welsh language should be taught in schools as a matter of course - if students want to learn it, that's their choice. (我不认为应该在学校里照例地教威尔斯语言– 如果学生们想要学它, 这是他们的选择)

17. as a matter of fact
定义: 事实上, 其实, 说实话.
例句: As a matter of fact, I do still believe in the criminal justice system. I just believe criminals should enter it in a wheelchair. (说实话, 我仍然信任刑事司法制度. 我只是相信罪犯们应当坐轮椅进入法庭)

18. As a matter of fact, yes.
[成语句型]事实上是如此. (注: 这是一句回答, 给询问者一个肯定答覆)

19. as a matter of form
定义: 基于形式上的礼节, 符合常理, 不好意思不做的.
例句: The terms masculine and feminine are used symmetrically only as a matter of form, as on legal papers. In actuality the relation of the two sexes is not quite like that of two electrical poles. (像法律文件上, 男性与女性之类的术语只是基于形式上的对等使用. 其实两性之间的关系并不像两个电极一样的极端化)

20. as a means to an end
定义: 作为达到目的之手段.
例句: The concept of money as a means to an end is usually based on the underlying concept of greed. (把金钱作为达到目的之手段的想法通常是基于潜在的贪婪概念)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 45 访客