royl
帖子: 1767
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 54

帖子 royl » 周二 2月 22, 2011 10:50 pm

二十笔实用成语 54

01. ask for his side of the story, to
定义: 询问他这一方的说法.
例句: If a teacher reports the child is disruptive in class, ask for his side of the story. If a charge is true, let your child take the consequences. (如果老师举报这个小孩在课堂上捣乱, 老师要询问他对此行为的说法. 如果指控是真实的话, 让这个小孩承受其后果)

02. ask for it, to
定义: 自找麻烦, 自讨苦吃; 寻求它, 要求它.
例句: When you called him a thief, you asked for it, because you made him mad. (如果你骂他是个贼, 你是自找麻烦, 因为你激怒了他)

03. ask for the moon, to
定义: 异想天开, 根本办不到的事情, 要求过份, 漫天要价.
例句: When we negotiate our salary, let's try this strategy: Ask for the moon and hope for a 10% raise. (当我们商谈我们的薪资时, 我们可以试试这个策略: 漫天要价但希望得到百分之十的加薪)

04. ask for trouble, to
定义: 自找麻烦, 自讨苦吃.
例句: He is asking for trouble if he misses another class. (他如果再缺课一次他是自讨苦吃)

05. ask for, to
定义: 要求, 请求; 寻求, 要求见面; 自找麻烦.
例句: Asking for donations is never easy. A well-planned solicitation can help your organization build the financial and in-kind support it needs. (要求捐赠一直不是容易的. 计画周全的请求可以帮助你的组织建立其所需的财务和以货代款的赞助)

06. ask oneself/yourself, to
定义: 问你自己, 扪心自问, 仔细想想真正的答案.
例句: Before you set out on your journey to be an entrepreneur, here are some questions you should ask yourself. They are not meant to rain on your parade but rather a more realistic look into your mind. (在你开始踏上企业家旅程之前, 你应该问自己以下几个问题. 它们不是浇你冷水而是更实际地检视你的想法)

07. ask someone in, to
定义: 邀请某人进屋.
例句: My mom had asked repairman in and showed him a leaky faucet before he replaced it. (在他把水龙头换新之前, 我母亲邀请修理工人进屋并带他去看漏水的龙头)

08. ask someone out, to
定义: 邀请某异性朋友约会.
例句: There's this girl I work with that I find attractive and want to ask her out. The problem is she works a different shift than I do. (我发现一位吸引人的一起工作的女孩, 我想约她出去.问题是, 她值班时间跟我不一样)

09. ask someone over, to
定义: 邀请某人到你家来一聚.
例句: I would like to ask our neighbors over tomorrow tonight for dinner. We haven't eaten together for a long time. (我邀请邻居明天来家里吃晚餐. 我们已经有很久没有聚餐)

10. ask tough questions, to
定义: 问难题, 敢于问难题.
例句: Lange called on parliamentarians to ask tough questions and demand answers about why children continue to suffer from violence, exploitation and abuse. (兰芝呼吁国会议员们敢于问难题并要求答覆有关为什么小孩们持续受到暴力, 剥削和虐待等伤害)

11. asking price, an
定义: (出售者的)要价.
例句: The asking price has nothing to do with the purchase price. Good negotiating skills and creative deal-making is what gets a deal done. (要价跟实际买价没有必然关系. 良好的协商技巧与有创意的打交道手腕才能达成交易)

12. asleep at the switch, to fall
定义: 怠忽职守, 失职, 错过机会.
例句: I think he was asleep at the switch. He didn't even know that the job was available so he never applied for it. (我认为他错失良机. 他居然不知道这个工作空缺, 所以他根本没去申请它)

13. asleep at the wheel, to fall
定义: 怠忽职守, 失职, 错过机会; 一面开车一面睡觉.
例句: We are asleep at the wheel here: choosing to ignore a threat to the global economy that is quite as bad as the credit crunch, and quite possibly worse. (我们怠忽职守: 选择忽视一个跟信贷紧缩一样糟糕的全球性经济威胁, 其实情况很可能更糟)

14. ass, an
定义: [骂人脏话]蠢人, 屁股, 被人鄙视的人. (注: arse与ass意思相同, 但是使用arse是为了避免粗俗语ass)
例句: Don't be an ass, Tommy. Stay in school and get your diploma. (汤米, 你别做个蠢人. 还是继续上学, 拿到你的毕业文凭吧)

15. ass-backwards
定义: [不雅语]事情的顺序搞反了, 弄乱了.
例句: The car spun out of control and I ended up ass-backwards in a ditch. (这辆车子打滑失去控制, 我最后逆向着停在沟渠里)

16. asshole, an
定义: [骂人脏话]蠢人, 令人厌恶的人.
例句: In 2000, during a Labor Day event, then candidate Bush made an offhand remark to his running mate, Cheney, that NYT reporter Adam Clymer was a "major league asshole." (在两千年一个劳工节活动期间, 当时的总统候选人布什向他竞选搭挡钱尼脱口批评纽约时报记者亚当.客莱默是个"头号蠢货")

17. assist victims with ..., to
定义: 以...去协助受害者.
例句: The Red Cross provided more than 642,000 meals to victims and emergency workers, helped thousands of families reconnect, and assisted victims with house payments. (红十字会提供超过642,000份餐食给受灾者和救灾义工, 帮助数千家庭团圆, 协助受灾者房屋付款)

18. ass-kisser, an
定义: [粗俗语]无耻地奉承, 逢迎, 拍马之徒.
例句: Girls could have felt something with you, if you were more fun, challenging and gave her what she really wanted, rather than being another ass-kisser who bends to their every whim. (与其做个逢迎之徒对她们有求必应,女孩子本可以跟你产生共鸣如果你更有趣, 更具挑战和给予她真正想要的)

19. assuming that
定义: 假定...
例句: Assuming that one can't break the habit of drinking pop, what kind of container is more environmentally friendly, aluminum cans or plastic bottles? (假定一个人无法戒除喝汽水的习惯, 哪一种容器对环保有利, 铝罐子还是塑料瓶子?)

20. ass-wipe, an
定义: [粗俗语]卫生纸, 手纸, 废纸一张, 讨厌的人, 蠢人.
例句: Not being able to get anywhere with either of them, I bought a 1998 model Malibu for $500.00 less than that other ass-wipe wanted. (跟这两人无法取得任何进展, 我花了五百元低于两人中另一个蠢人所要求的价钱, 买了一辆1998年型号的马利布牌汽车)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 17 访客