royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 64

帖子 royl » 周五 3月 11, 2011 1:00 am

二十笔实用成语 64

01. at the bottom of the totem pole
定义: 敬陪末座的, 地位低的, 被排名最后的, 被不重视的.
例句: Most societies have class based divisions among their people that result in one group occupying the bottom of the totem pole. (大部分的社会都把它的人民区分成阶层, 这也造成某一群体处在社会的底层)

02. at the center of ...
定义: 居于...核心, 重心, 中心.
例句: A substance abuse treatment center that was once at the center of controversy in Johnson City is now moving out of the neighborhood that wanted it out in the first place. (一个曾经成为江森市争议重点的毒品戒勒中心现在迁出这个原本就希望它搬走的地区)

03. at the cost of ...
定义: 由...付出代价, 费用, 赔偿.
例句: I am not against development but it should not be at the cost of our environment. (我不反对发展, 但它不应该以牺牲我们的环境为代价)

04. at the count of three
定义: 数到三的时候. (注: 意指当我数到三的时候, 你就要如何如何; 换句话说, 就是给别人一个指示)
例句: I'm like a ticking time bomb will explode at the count of three. Stay away from me now. (我现在就像一个数到三就会爆炸的定时炸弹. 离我远一点)

05. at the crack of dawn
定义: 破晓时分, 大清早.
例句: We got up at the crack of dawn for early morning adventure: a sunrise kayaking experience on Regents Canal. (我们一大清早进行晨间冒险活动: 日出在瑞金运河划皮筏)

06. at the crash site/scene
定义: 在车祸现场.
例句: Two teens are killed in a weekend crash and police are investigating why it took officers nearly 90 minutes to arrive at the crash scene. (两个青少年在周末车祸丧生, 警方正调查为什么警官花了几乎九十分钟才抵达撞车现场)

07. at the critical moment
定义: 于关键时机, 于存亡时刻.
例句: He was ready at the critical moment because he had the calm and confidence that only constant testing and training could give him. (他在这个关键时刻已经准备好了因为只有经由持续地测试与训练使他掌握了冷静和信心)

08. at the crossroads
定义: 决定性的一刻, 紧要关头.
例句: Being present when children need us the most is the desire of every father. Our being there at the crossroads of our children's lives is the most important role of all. (当儿女最需要你的时候陪伴他们是每个父亲的愿望. 在儿女生命中面临紧要关头时陪伴他们是我们最重要的职责)

09. at the cutting edge
定义: 居于先进优势, 领先的地位.
例句: The company has always been at the cutting edge of technology and provides discerning customers the latest and most effective solutions. (这家公司一直处在技术领先地位, 给予精明客户最新, 最有效的解决方案)

10. at the double
定义: 尽快地, 动作快, 工作或移动迅速地.
例句: I need you back here at the double. (我要你尽快地赶回来)

11. at the drop of a hat
定义: 一触即发, 突然地, 毫不拖延地. (注: 带有毫无预警的含意)
例句: I can't go rushing off to Florida at the drop of a hat. (我不能就这样突然地冲到佛罗里达州)

12. at the eleventh hour
定义: 于最后一刻. (注: 带有拖到最后一分钟, 几乎太迟的含意)
例句: He is called in at the eleventh hour and he represents the last line of defense. (他在最后一刻被召唤, 他代表着最后一条防线)

13. at the end of my/one's patience
定义: 不堪其扰, 斯可忍, 孰不可忍.
例句: I've been answering the same questions under oath for them for the last week, so I'm at the end of my patience when I'm summoned, yet again. (上星期, 我已经在宣誓下回答同样的问题, 所以再传唤我让我不堪其扰)

14. at the end of one's rope
定义: 山穷水尽, 智穷力竭, 容无可忍.
例句: I just don't know what to do. I'm at the end of my rope. (我真不知道如何做才好. 我已经智穷力竭了)

15. at the end of one's tether
定义: 山穷水尽, 智穷力竭, 容无可忍.
例句: He seemed to have come through the ordeal well, but poor Jack was almost at the end of his tether. (他好像已经满意地通过了严峻的考验, 但杰克此时几乎山穷水尽)

16. at the end of the day
定义: 总之, 讲到底, 毕竟, 到最后, 当尘埃落定时.
例句: At the end of the day a decision has to be made. (毕竟, 一个决定必须要做出来)

17. at the end of the pecking order
定义: 敬陪末座, 最低优先权. (注: pecking order是社会或团体内阶级地位的顺序)
例句: Even then, a refund falls right at the end of the pecking order – repair or replacement comes first. (即使那样, 退款被排在最低优先– 修理或换货被视为优先解决方案. 注: 意指厂商最不希望退款, 如果有人退货的话, 他们会优先提出修理或换货的解决方案)

18. at the expense of ...
定义: 牺牲...; 损害...; 造成...的尴尬, 不安或懊恼; 由...来付款或赔偿. (注: 常用于别人拿你开玩笑由你承受后果)
例句: We could make more clothes for the market, but only at the expense of quality. (我们当然可以为了行销制造更多的衣服, 但是我们要付出品质不良的代价)

19. at the forefront
定义: 居于领先地位, 先进地位, 前锋.
例句: Offering excellent UV protection and superior cosmetic elegance, our patented technologies put us at the forefront of the sun protection market. (提供优质的紫外线保护与优越的高雅化妆, 我们的专利技术使我们居于防晒市场的领先地位)

20. at the hand of ...
定义: 所造成, 做下的或犯下的.
例句: Overall, at least half of the world's forests have disappeared at the hand of humankind – three quarters of these in the past 300 years and the majority within the past century. (总之, 起码世界一半的森林已经丧失在人类的手上– 而四分之三的损失却发生在过去的三百年内)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: Google [Bot] 和 12 访客