royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 73

帖子 royl » 周三 3月 23, 2011 8:14 am

二十笔实用成语 73

01. back oneself into a corner, to
定义: 把自己逼到困境, 无法脱身.
例句: He backs himself into a corner of the room. He wouldn't let anyone touch him, let alone get near him. (他退缩到墙角. 他不让任何人碰他更别提让人接近他)

02. back order, an
定义: 缺货, 待交订货单. 因短缺货品未能交货的订单.
例句: The book I want to buy is on back order and won't be shipped for three weeks. (我想要买的书缺货, 要三个星期后才会寄来)

03. back out of something, to
定义: 决定不做了, 改变主意; 撤销承诺, 退出比赛, 退出一个不利的局面.
例句: The company backed out of the deal with the foreign firm. (这家公司决定不做这笔跟这家外企的生意)

03. back out, to
定义: 撤销承诺; 退出比赛; 倒车.
例句: A real estate contract can have a variety of contingencies that allow either party to back out, if certain conditions are not met. (如果某些条件符合的话, 一个房地产合同可以允许各种不同的应急方案来准许任何一方撤销承诺)

04. back pay, a
定义: 拖欠的薪资.
例句: The judge has ruled that a Teamsters union discriminated against a trucker and owes him $50,000 in back pay for preventing him from working on a television series. (这位法官判决某一卡车司机工会歧视一个卡车司机并赔偿五万元积欠薪资由于这个工会阻止他去某一电视剧工作)

05. back someone into a corner, to
定义: 置某人于窘困状况, 逼某人到墙角/绝境.
例句: She has her mind set on being a successful writer and lets no one back her into a corner. (她已经决心要成为一位成功的作家并且不容许被人逼到绝境)

06. back someone up, to
定义: 证实某人的说法, 事实或资料; 以行动支持或协助某人.
例句: If you don't believe me, talk to David. He'll back me up. (如果你不相信我, 你可以去问大卫. 他会证明我所说的是事实)

07. back talk, a
定义: 放肆无礼的顶嘴.
例句: A back talk like that will only get you into more trouble. (像这种无礼的顶嘴只会给你带来更多的麻烦)

08. back teeth are floating, one's
定义: [俚语]尿急,​​ 很想撒尿.
例句: Where's the restroom? My back teeth are floating! (厕所在哪儿? 我尿很急!)

09. back the wrong horse, to
定义: 押错了马, 支持错人, 误判错误, 支持了失败一方.
例句: He is backing on the wrong horse if he continues to support the other candidate for mayor. (如果他继续支持另一个市长候选人, 他支持错人)

10. back then
定义: 在当时, 在那时候.
例句: Alas, she has only herself to reprove and to this day, her hair remains as thick as it was back then. (哎呀, 她到了今天这个地步只能怪她自己, 她现在的头发还是跟当时一样地浓密)

11. back to front
定义: (衣服)穿反了; 前后倒置.
例句: He accidentally put the sweater on back to front. (他不小心把毛衣穿反了)

12. back to her place, to go
定义: 回到她的住处.
例句: It is on her to give you signals to come back to her place, and not so much on you to orchestrate things. (这种事情该由她来决定是否暗示你回到她的住处, 并不是由你来安排)

13. back to square one
定义: 重新开始, 从头做起. (注: 此处带有从一开始就困难重重与计划错误之含意)
例句: If you forget to do one of the steps, you are to go back to square one. (如果你忘了做到其中的一个步骤, 你就要重新开始)

14. back to the drawing board
定义: 重新开始, 从头做起. (注: 此处带有从一开始就困难重重与计划错误之含意)
例句: The boss doesn't like our idea so I guess we must go back to the drawing board. (老板不喜欢我们的构思所以我估计我们必须要从头做起)

15. back to the grind, to go
定义: 重回枯燥无味的工作岗位.
例句: After New Year's, it's back to the grind – the old routine. (过完了新年, 我们又要回到枯燥无味的工作岗位–
老套的例行公事)

16. back to the salt mines, to go
定义: 重回枯燥无味的工作岗位.
例句: Now get back to the salt mines, peasants. Your corporate overlords need a new Rolls-Royce. (农民工们, 重回到你们的枯燥无味的工作岗位吧. 你的公司领主们需要一部新颖的劳斯莱斯车啦. 注: 这是一句要同仁回到工作岗位的幽默话语)

17. back up someone, to
定义: 支持某人.
例句: That's the kind of courage she had and the kind of courage that she needed to stand up to great odds with only her courage and conviction to back her up. (这就是她具备的一种胆识, 也是她所需要的一种胆识来面对极为不利的劣势, 她也只有靠着勇气与信念才能支撑着她)

18. back up, to
定义: 支持; 证实; 堵塞; 往后退; (球赛)移到队友的后面以支援队友; 把电脑的资料拷贝作备份存档; 阻止别人的进步或成就.
例句: The people waiting in line are too close to the door. We won't be able to open it unless they back up. (这群人排队等候太接近门口. 只有他们往后退我们才能打开门)

19. back with a vengeance
定义: 摧枯拉朽地转回, 猛烈极度地回转, 又加剧地回来.
例句: After layoff activity in the tech industry quieted down around the holidays, it's come back with a vengeance in January. (在假日期间技术产业的裁员活动平息下来之后, 它在一月份又加剧地回来了)

20. back, be
定义: 回来, 回家.
例句: It's great to be back again after all those years. (这么多年之后再回来感觉好极了)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 25 访客