royl
帖子: 1767
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 79

帖子 royl » 周三 3月 30, 2011 12:22 am

二十笔实用成语 79

01. baker's dozen, a
定义: 十三, 十三个, 面包师傅的一打.
例句: The Baker's Dozen comes from Colonial America where bakers were hung for making the loaf light. That is why they give 13 instead of 12. (面包师傅的一打是出自于殖民时代的美洲, 如果面包师傅在面包上偷斤减两的话会受到绞刑处分. 这就是为什么他们给予十三个而不是十二个的原因)

02. balance of power, the
定义: 权力平衡, 实力平衡.
例句: The election of so many Republicans to Congress has changed the balance of power in Washington. (这次选举让有许多共和党人进入国会改变了华盛顿的权力平衡)

03. balance the books, to
定义: [会计术语]平衡帐目, 将借方与贷方平衡, 结帐; 维持收支平衡, 维持资金流动平衡.
例句: However, the central bank governor emphasized that India's over-reliance on foreign capital inflows to balance the books was a concern. (然而, 这位中央银行总裁强调印度过于依赖外资的流入来维持资金流动平衡是一件值得忧虑的事)

04. balanced on a razor's edge, be
定义: 小心翼翼地维持平衡.
例句: China and Japan are balanced on a razor's edge between closer cooperation and dangerous rivalry. (中国与日本小心翼翼地维持在密切合作与危险对抗之间的平衡)

05. balancing act, a
定义: 平衡各方问题的举措. (注: 意指同时地企图应付数个有冲突性因素的努力)
例句: Workers at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant faced a difficult balancing act Tuesday as they struggled to keep reactors cool. (当他们在艰辛地设法维持反应炉的冷却时, 严重毁损的福岛第一核电厂的工作人员在星期二面临艰难的平衡各种问题的努力)

06. bald as a coot, be (as)
定义: 秃头的.
例句: I've been as bald as a coot for 15 years so if I could grow more hair I would want it on my head not my face. (我已经秃头了十五年, 如果我可以长出更多毛发的话, 我希望长在我的头上而不是在脸上)

07. balderdash, a
定义: 胡言乱语, 没有意义的话.
例句: You're implying that most cars today show no significant difference in mileage between any highway speeds. That's absolute balderdash. (你是说目前大部分的车辆在两个不同高速公路速度之间不会显示出重大的差距. 这简直是胡言乱语嘛)

08. bald-faced liar, a
定义: 厚颜无耻的骗子. (注: 这种人就是谎话被揭穿后也不会羞愧)
例句: When confronted with his lies, he ducks and dodges but never explains the fact that he is a bald-faced liar. (当有人挑战他的谎言时, 他顾左右而言他但他一直不肯解释他是个厚颜无耻骗子的事实)

09. balk at, to
定义: 对...断然拒绝, 对...望而却步.
例句: He balks at sending his children to expensive private schools. (他断然拒绝送他的儿女到昂贵的私立学校上学)

10. ball and chain, a
定义: 囚禁的脚镣, [俚语]负担及限制. (注: 有人戏称婚姻或配偶为a ball and chain)
例句: Resentment is a ball and chain; forgiveness sets you free again. (憎恨是一个负担; 原谅却能让你重获自由)

11. ball is in your court, the
定义: 轮到你负责了, 该你行动了; 看你下面一步怎么处理了.
例句: She offered to pay $2000 for your car's damage, so the ball's in your court. (她提出了两千块钱来偿付你的车子毁损, 所以下一步就看你怎么处理了)

12. ball of fire, a
定义: [俚语]精力充沛, 冲劲十足的人; 一团火球.
例句: My two-year-old is a ball of fire and he keeps me on my toes. I love it though even though by the end of the day I am exhausted. (我的两岁宝贝精力充沛, 让我不时地要注意他. 但是我喜爱看顾他虽然忙了一天下来我精疲力竭)

13. ball of fortune, a
定义: 历尽沧桑的人, 受命运捉弄的人.
例句: Although he was sometime a ball of fortune, who can assure himself of fortune, yet he was never a wheel of folly. (尽管他曾经是个受命运捉弄的人, 谁又能确保他一帆风顺, 但他绝不是个愚蠢的工具)

14. ball out, to
定义: [俚语]离开, 脱离, 放弃.
例句: The police showed up at the party and we balled out. (警察出现在派对时我们就离开)

15. ball over, to
定义: [俚语]极度惊吓, 吓人一大跳.
例句: I was balled over when I heard that I was promoted. (当我听到我被升调时我吓了一大跳)

16. ball up, to
定义: 因无笨拙无能的处理造成伤害, 搞得乱七八糟; 卷起像球一样的形状(例如手指头卷起像球状或变拳头).
例句: She lay in bed balled up under the blankets. (她盖着毯子卷曲地躺在床上)

17. ball-buster/ball-breaker, a
定义: [俚语]艰辛的工作, 苛求的人, 打击男人信心的女子.
例句: Tom gets a day's work for a day's pay out of his men, but he's no ball-breaker. (汤姆严谨地监督他的下属老实地工作, 但他不是个苛求的人)

18. ballistic missile, the
定义: [武器术语]弹道导弹或弹道飞弹.
例句: Ballistic missiles can be launched from fixed sites or mobile launchers, including vehicles, aircraft, ships and submarines. (弹道导弹可以从固定场地或移动发射装置发射, 包括陆上交通工具, 飞机, 船舰及潜舰)

19. ballpark figure, a
定义: 一个大约的估计, 一个大略的数字.
例句: No more stalling. Give me a ballpark figure of our projected losses. (别再拖延了. 给我一个大略的预计损失数字吧)

20. balls
定义: [粗俗语]睾丸; (惊叹语)胡说八道; 肆无忌惮, 大胆, 放肆.
例句: You've got balls for demanding more entitlements when you don't do anything to contribute to society. (你真是肆无忌惮, 你居然敢要求更多的政府福利津贴, 尽管你对社会没一点贡献)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 51 访客