royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 88

帖子 royl » 周六 4月 09, 2011 1:38 am

二十笔实用成语 88

01. be-all and end-all, the
定义: 最主要的原因或实质; 终极目标; 整体.
例句: He acts as if making money is the be-all and end-all of human existence. (他摆出一副好像赚钱是人类生存的终极目标)

02. beam in one's own eye, a
定义: (视而不见)自身的大过失​​或缺点. (注: 意指许多人只注意别人的微小过失却忽略掉自己显而易见的过失)
例句: This kind of thinking is simply a matter of considering the beam in my own eye before pointing out the speck of dust in anyone else's. (这种思维只是一个基于在指责别人小错之前先反省自我显著过失的想法)

03. Beam me up, Scotty!
定义: [俚语]让我离开, 史考提! (注: 来自"星际争霸战"; 意指一个人在一个令人难堪的或不屑为伍的处境下所说的话)
例句: This place is really crazy! Beam me up, Scotty! I've heard enough! Beam me up, Scotty! (这地方真是疯狂! 让我离开, 史考提! 我已经受够了! 让我离开,史考提!)

04. bean counter, a
定义: 会计或管钱的人. (注: 公司的总管老是把钱看的紧不随意花钱)
例句: We wanted to buy some new furniture for the office but the bean counters wouldn't let us. (我们本想要给这间办公室买些新家具, 但管钱的人不让我们买)

05. beanpole supermodel, a
定义: 高瘦的超级名模, 像条竹竿的超级名模.
例句: You may be carrying a few extra pounds, but that is what makes a woman a woman, not some beanpole supermodel. (你也许有点超重, 但这使一个女人更有女人味, 而不像一条竹竿的超级名模)

06. bear a charmed life, to
定义: [莎翁名言]天生好命, 吉人天相, 逢凶化吉.
例句: There are those who say that he bears a charmed life. Born to a poor family, he managed to get the best education at the University of the Philippines, Harvard and Yale. (有人说他天生好命. 生在贫穷家庭, 他设法在菲律宾大学, 哈佛大学, 和耶鲁大学受到最好的教育)

07. bear a grudge, to
定义: 怀怨/恨在心.
例句: Striking indiscriminately, a killer bearing a grudge against railroads, threatens to shut down the highly publicized national exposition with a series of murders. (不分青红皂白见人就杀, 一个对铁路交通怀恨在心的凶手恐吓要以一连串谋杀来关闭这个高知名度的全国展览会)

08. bear a hand, to
定义: 出把力, 助人; 快速行动.
例句: I'm going against the grain here, but I think the civil service and foreign service in DC should bear a hand in cutting back just like the private sector does. (在这里我要做个恶人, 我认为首都的行政部门和外交部门应该像私人机构一样地帮忙裁减冗员)

09. bear a resemblance to ..., to
定义: 身材外表像...
例句: This wallet bears a strong resemblance to the one I lost last month. (这只皮夹跟我上个月遗失的那一只外表很像)

10. bear arms, to
定义: 携带武器, 当兵.
例句: The right to bear arms is a tradition with deep roots in American society. (携带武器的权利在美国社会是个根深柢固的传统)

11. bear down on, to
定义: 强调; 施压; 逼近; 冲向.
例句: As we write this, Hurricane Gustav is bearing down on the banks of the Gulf Coast, and New Orleans has once again been emptied of its residents. (当我们撰写这条新闻时候, 古斯塔夫台风正逼近海湾岸边, 新奥尔良城又再一度撤离它的居民)

12. bear down, to
定义: 克服​​, 压倒, 全力以赴.
例句: The pitcher bore down and struck out the last batter. (这个投手全力以赴, 把最后一个打击手三振出局)

13. bear false witness, to
定义: 作伪证.
例句: To bear false witness against others is to lie about them, especially for personal gain. (对他人作伪证乃是说他们的谎话, 尤其是为了图私利)

14. bear fruit, to
定义: 产生结果, 有收获.
例句: It is said patience bears fruit and patience is one of the most important stair of success. (据说有耐心才会有收获是一个最重要的成功晋阶之一)

15. bear garden, a
定义: 嘈杂喧哗的场所; 供人喂食或娱乐的熊园.
例句: Never was a quiet and orderly household transformed so suddenly into a bear garden, or a happy man turned into such a completely miserable one. (一个安静和有秩序的家庭绝不会突然转变成一个喧哗场所, 或者说,一个幸福的人绝不会突然变成一个彻底痛苦的人)

16. bear hug, a
定义: 双手紧紧拥抱.
例句: Her cousin gave her an affectionate bear hug which almost took her breath away. (她的表兄弟给她一个热情的双手拥抱, 让她差一点没法呼吸)

17. bear in mind, to
定义: 谨记在心, 放在心上.
例句: Of course, repair work on older buildings is an expensive business and that's always something to be borne in mind. (当然, 老旧建筑物的修理工作是个昂贵的事务, 这是件永远要谨记在心的事)

18. bear market, a
定义: 熊市; 空头市场长期向下的走势.
例句: A bear market is usually defined as a decline of 15 to 20 percent or more over a period of several months or longer. (一个熊市一般是个百分之15到20的股市下跌或长达超过几个月或更长的期间)

19. bear on, to
定义: 造成影响, 与...有关联.
例句: But all those taxes which bore heavily on the productive resources of the country were entirely abolished. (但是那些造成对国家生产性资源严重影响的税赋已经完全被废除了)

20. bear one's cross, to
定义: 背负自己的十字架, 耐心接受试炼与灾难, 忍受痛苦煎熬, 含辛茹苦.
例句: Bearing her own cross, however, was not enough. She was nailing her husband and her daughter to it as well. (但是, 她自己单独忍受痛苦煎熬对她来讲还不够. 她也要他先生和女儿跟着一起受苦)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 58 访客